ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Ian Bannings - Guildford

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2000, 01:48 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, eventful end of last week, two days (well 1 and a bit) for car audio and then Saturday saw my car being WaxWizzard'd by Mark Underwood (top job, all I can say is do it!)..

Well, heres whats gone in

Alpine 7852R
Alpine 6-Disc Changer
Alpine F407 V12 4-way Amp
Alpine 6.5" DDDrive + Tweeter in front
Alpine 6x9" DDDrive in the back

They created MDF surrounds for the front speakers to stop the windows hitting the magnets... Put a thin board between the boot & the rear seat, carpetted it, and mounted the amp dead center + plus enclosed all the cables to it looks tidy.. greated MDF collars for the 6x9"s and attached them from under neath with out cutting any metal or making new holes.. hid the CD changer in the car.. sound proofed the front doors and the rear panels + the rear shelf.. and the result is amazing!! Plenty of bass and a very clear sound, the clarity is amazing!

And the quality of the install is just so good, very tidy indeed. I (obviously) recommend them 100%!!

Good work guys, thanks again (4 car they've done).

Alex

[This message has been edited by DrEvil (edited 21 November 2000).]
Old 20 November 2000, 03:32 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PS. just a footnote, the reason I went for the above config, was to achieve reasonable bass without the subs, as i need my boot!
Old 20 November 2000, 04:01 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I took my car there about 18 months ago and I was very dissappointed with the results.

They didn't install the fronts I wanted, as the magnets were too big. There was mastic all over the place, and they used it to hold down any of bits where they had broken the clips. (ie - door handle surround, recess for door closing, etc.)

They didn't build me a false floor as requested, and only did the bit closet to the seats, as that's where the subs were sitting. The false door rattled after about 4 months, as the mastic had dried out and become brittle in the summer.

They hacked the rear speakers holes in an attempt to fit some Pioneer 6.5" speakers in there. The edges left were far from smooth.

A very poor job, and not worth the money.

These are my experiences and will never use them again.

At least people can hear about the good and the bad experiences.
Old 20 November 2000, 04:32 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Andy T - your experience really surprises me...

This is the fourth car of mine they've had, each time the job was done really well, even the car dealers that have looked at it thought so (Mazda / Subaru).. I usually pop in to see how they are getting on through out the day, so see the car in various stages, never seen them break anything..

How long did they have your car for? sounds like a two day job for all you wanted (not what you got).. Have they since put things right??

Rgds, Alex
Old 20 November 2000, 05:04 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

To add to my previous comment, maybe me monitoring the job made a difference, but i doubt it..

And in the last year, they've done two scoobs for me, UK turbo and P1, both really professional jobs.

Also, the guys that did mine, had a fair amount of experience with Scoobs, one of which hasnt been at IB long (he did the P1) and the other did my UK turbo (7 months ago, and no issues after 6months).

Andy T - did you quiz them about this stuff?

cheers, Alex
Old 20 November 2000, 10:24 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Angry

They said that the damage to the doors was already there!! I only had the car for a fortnight before it went in.

Although to be fair, I didn't see the quality of workmanship until I had to remove all the stereo when I sold the car. A bit too late for them to sort out any of the problems.

Do you know how long it takes to get mastic off your hands???

If I decide to get a reasonable install in the car this time, I'd take to somewhere more expensive, and have show cars & trophys!!

I would have popped in, but I was 12 miles away without a car, and recovering from having all four of my wisdom teeth removed.

They had the car for a total of two and half days. Dropped in Tuesday mid-moring, and picked it up Thursday closing.

I had a car kit fitted about a week previously, and IB managed to disconnect two of the car kit cables in the process of the install.

To be fair it sound damn fine, which really stopped from checking all the small details.

Let's hope some of the staff have been replaced in that time. I'm glad you are happy with the install (honestly), it's just that I would never recommend them to anyone.

Also they lack a certain customer service. I've had friends go in there for head units, and they more or less turn their noses up. I know, I was there!!

They seem to quickly forget that they had taken £2000 of my money (not all stereo, it went on security as well)

What more can I say??? I wish I still had the car, and see if the differences really are that great!!

I tried to be objective, but they didn't care, so why should I??
Old 20 November 2000, 10:26 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

This of course is no reflection on the Wax Wizzard!!!

Saw this man's team at the Motor Show last year. Very friendly and convinced me to part with £70 of my money!!!

We I spoke to Mark on the phone, he was happy to do a deal, and help me with a scratch I had on my old car!!

I can't recommend Mark Underwood enough!!!

I don't spend enough money with the man, as I'm too lazy to wash the car in this weather!!!

Trending Topics

Old 20 November 2000, 11:09 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Alex...I am popping to see them this weekend to chat about some toys

Ron
Old 21 November 2000, 02:34 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Andy T,
Fair play mate, I get the feeling that no matter where you go, you aways get at least one bad egg (job done)..

I am willing to pop along with anyone that goes in (if on a saturday), they know me well and all though I dont think you'll get a bad job done now, I do feel you might be happier without some of the sales hype you can experience when you first visit, as with all sales men, although again they do maintain that at the end of the day its what sounds good to you, not them, that you should go for... good bunch on the whole...

I'm might quiz them about yours next time Andy T, see what they say...

Thanks for the feedback, Alex

Cheers, Alex
Old 21 November 2000, 03:14 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

No probs. Go for it, I'm just curious as to what they say.

"I don't remember the car" That sort of thing, I dare say!
Old 21 November 2000, 04:14 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Smile

True, they may use that one.. although most people are embarassed about jobs they fluff..

I & a couple of others I know have had really good experiences with them, this thread is a little like the perf tuning centers one now init

I'll let you know what they say..

Cheers, Alex
Old 22 November 2000, 12:28 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Well, popped into Bannings today to drop some audio stuff I'm selling off..

Asked them about your car Andy, but forgot your surname, but they were interested in what had gone wrong, and wanted to check to see if it was any current engineer they employ that did it. I'll give the a ring now I have your surname and follow it up.

They did state however that they encourage their engineers to admit to any problems/breakages, because lets face it, no matter how careful you are, these things happen on the odd occassion. And that if such a thing happens they will replace said item. As they don't want a bad name for such a thing.

Now to their credit, I was not happy with one aspect of my rear window tint, so without arguing they simply replaced the rear tint completely rather than try to fix it. They made sure it was convient for me, rather than for them, and were very appologetic.

As for the comments on headunits, I think I know the saleman your friends dealt with, and would tend to agree on that score, unfortunately you do find a lot of salesmen like this, especially at a certain Lotus dealership I know of.. What I will say though, is talk to the average height frontline guys (5ft8" ish) as they dont go for the sales talk.

All in all, a good bunch really.

Its a shame you dont still have the car Andy, as we could have put this to the test on your complaints.

I hope all of you have the good experiences I have with them. rgds, Alex