Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Struggling to remove rear shelf speakers!! Advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2004, 06:40 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struggling to remove rear shelf speakers!! Advice please...

Feeling a bit thick at this point, but it's Saturday!

About to upgrade my speakers, 1998 Classic Turbo. Wanted to remove the rear speakers to find out their size, but am struggling to get the things out! They look pretty standard (max 30watts!!!!!) but the grill is somehow fixed into the rear shelf (it's a saloon / 4 door) and I'm reluctant to remove the whole rear shelf lining for fear of creasing it / ruining the appaearance.

All the screws and bolts come down into the boot from the top, but I can't get to any of them until I get the speaker grill off, and it feels as if it's screwed into something somehow.

Do I have to get on with removing the whole lining for the back shelf? If so, is it easy and am I likely to ruin it?

Cheers.....
Old 26 September 2004, 01:16 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's a bigger job than you think....I bet many of us went scratching our heads at trying to work that out the firsttime round

The grills wont come out on their own...you have to take out the whole shelf (only cardboard - so it breaks easily)

Seats have to come out (the bottom first them the backs). The you need to remove both C-pillar trims either side, they just clip in. But may need a fair amount of leverage to pop them out.

Then the shelf can come out....you need to stick your head in the boot and push in all the plastic clips you can see on the underside of the shelf...job done!
Old 26 September 2004, 05:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Whoa! My OE grilles came out on their own when I did my speakers the first time, after ripping a wire off the cone of one, and refusing point blank to pay Subaru prices for a speaker of that quality:

I'm pretty sure I just prised them off to reveal the screws underneath.

The car ran for about 2 years with the old holes showing as the new grilles were smaller than the old, but the old wouldn't refit to the new speakers, if that makes sense?

I now have 6x9's on a home made spacer covered in carpet. Look and sound better:

Alcazar
Old 26 September 2004, 10:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Well, you could prise the grills off as they are only held in by metal retainers...but you would either break the wood in the shelf (like I did..when I tried doing the above) or end up with the retaining clips rattling around under the shelf. Removing the whole shelf doesn't do any damage, and it allows you to be able to replace the grills...or keep them (if you want a stealth install - like me )

I learnt the hard way