Diamond, Dynn and Genesis?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2000, 11:47 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously thinking of putting the following set up in my car

Dynn audio front components (£400)
2*10inch Daimond subs in an enclosure (£260)
Genesis 4 channel amp (£600)

Lots of vibration stopping material (£100)

+ fitting + cables, and optional remote sub control

Anyone out there any experience of any of the above in a Subaru

I heard one fitted to a WRX with similar stuff but a lot more of it - sounded amazing -but would cost over £5k!

Comments by Bajie and Adam welcomed in advance
Old 15 November 2000, 01:05 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I do like the sound of Dynaudio stuff but have no experience of them in an Impreza: your right to seek Adam's advice, as I believe that he's has most brands in and out, including Dynaudio. Focal, IIRC, seem to be high on his list too... Adam ?

The Genesis is one of my favourite amps, but I'd go for the 5 channel and run the front actively, leaving the one channel for the subs.

Don't forget to budget for cabling, which will be a fair bit...
Old 15 November 2000, 01:34 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Chiark - thanks for that

What do u mean - run the fronts actively?

I think the 4 channel runs the rear subs and the front components - rear speakers will be removed

I'm not at all teched up

I've heard a few sounds now. I think the worst I heard was Focal. JL Audio were also not as good as Dyn - then again - its all personal choice I guess - plus Dyn are very expensive - is this becuase they are not produced in bulk or is it simply quality = time = money?
Old 15 November 2000, 01:41 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Running the front's actively, means you run the tweeters on two channels, and the woofers on the another two. It gives a much nicer sound than using the passive crossovers supplied with the speakers, and it gives more flexibility if there is an active crossover on the amp.

Then probably run the subs on one channel, depending on how the subs are configured.

I guess that's what chiark means! Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Andy
Old 15 November 2000, 01:41 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

By actively, I mean use all four channels on one set of speakers, with a channel for each driver in the component set.

Currently, you have a passive crossover that takes your amp output and splits it into tweeter and woofer signals.

The genesis 5 channel has a built-in active crossover that works on signals prior to amplification. This can result in a cleaner sound due to avoiding phasing problems inherant with passive crossover design.

You'd set two channels to have low pass filters at about 5KHz, and the other two channels to be high pass at the same frequency. Make sure you've got the right speakers on the right outputs (otherwise the tweeter goes bang, very quietly and very quickly) and it should sound good. The fifth channel is for the subs.

The Dynaudio is expensive, but is excellent quality stuff. I think they're not mass produced, which is why they cost mucho moolah.

There's a brief explanation of active vs passive on the FAQ: it's being updated so I'll try and make it a bit clearer.
Old 15 November 2000, 01:57 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Guys hi,

Haven't be on line in ages then I get a requested appearance. Thanks make me feel so wanted.

Dyn everytime.

Just gor rid of some to mr. aigin (r19ket). Got a great deal selling to him. Mugged him off for every penny.

Having heard them in his car I am partially upset at having sold them but I owed him a favour or ten anyway.

Steve it all depends on your taste in music.

From what I heard in the car, I have to say that I dont think you will be happy with dyns. In this situation, the focals are probably the ones which will take a hammering. Dyns produce a nice bass (baffle dependent) but I dont think it s what you are after.

I know that the focals would satisfy, but you may find the tweeters a touch harsh as I have.

Diamond audio are great on the surface, but personally I didnt like what I heard. they seem to be marketing hype and a lot of claimed patents and some trademarks (i am always sceptical of patented cone materials). They look nice but on closer inspection I wasn't best pleased with the build quality given the price.

Ring my pal nassar at audio images in bradford 01274 733633. Last time I was there he showed me some mids he was about to start supplying. They were relatively cheap due to lack of name, but were incredibly made looking essentially like a sub. I havent heard them, but his opinion is worth some credit as he knows his stuff and has seen a lot of gear.

The same stretches for the diamond audio subs I am affraid. I know of increedible sub makes but you need to research. Again speak to nassar.

Running out of time so to be brief.

I hate genesis amps personally. But they are capable. I just think design wise there is better for the money. Again call nassar. He ahs a range of digital amplifiers which have blown away the amps that I have been raised on, including phoenix and gulp soundstream.

I feel like a walking ad for them , but that is only cos they have never let me down. I promise I do not have a business interest in audio images.

One thing is for sure. Dynamat is the way forward always.

I have left it out of the 22b but then I bought it for driving and the stereo is on a back burner.

If I can help directly, mail me offline or wait for chat. Hoping to be back on at home soon.

Good luck,

Bye.
Old 15 November 2000, 02:37 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Wotcha Adam

Long time no speak. Let me know when you're next around bradford, especially if Scott's around too, and we'll meet up for that beer as planned back in March time <grin!>

Cheers,

Nick.

Trending Topics

Old 15 November 2000, 03:23 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Thanks Adam

From talking you seemed knowledgable - and now you've hit the tuning bug... stop now before it hurts..... (just got my modified VF22 back - just trailing Mark a little bit now - but I'll catch up to his performance... some day)

I tested the set up in a demo sub with some tunes from the Blade soundtrack.. - I have never heard music like it (in a car that is - not the music). The 12inch subs in the Boot seemed ok - not as powerful as a listen in a Corrado - perhaps due to boot design not as optimal in Scooby? - I reckoned the Diamond subs were pretty cheap? thats why I was not too concerned, but the Genesis I thought a tad expensive.

The music I like is decent dance, a bit of eminem, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, hard core dance and the occasional normal music that everyone listens to
I heard Focal in a Pug - the clarity was poor - but perhaps this was poor set up at Sextons!?

The demo car unit also sold Pheonix gold, dls, JL Audio and loads of other expensive gear. They commented that thye had tried a number of set up's - currently they had the 3 way dyn's but said it was far too much hassle over 2 way units and not much better.
The commnent was made that Phoenix was crap in comparison - have not come across Soundstream - perhaps this was personal choice on Genesis - or higher margins on Genesis over Phoenix?

Is a 5 channel decent amp much dearer? - have not checked this. I remember they had one at about £1k - cant remember which one though

Perhaps I should listen to a few more set ups first - I have been told to listen in peoples cars as the 'in-shop' sound is, supposedly not the same

Old 16 November 2000, 09:51 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

didnt realise it was you nick. Had no idea all this time. Will be in leeds soon and will call you.