Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Help with my new Pioneer Head unit... I'm ripping my hair out!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2004, 08:09 PM
Scooby-Monster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my new Pioneer Head unit... I'm ripping my hair out!!

HELP ME PLEEASE!!!

I have just replaced my non std Kenwood unit with a spanking new Pioneer DEH-P77MP.

Reception on my Kenwood I admit was not brilliant but on this unit it is unlistenable on all frequencies.

I have the remote cable triggering my amp and the arial from the car is definitely plugged into the headunit.

I even tried swapping back to test it and it was fine as apart from the head unit nothing elae has changed. Not even MW works hardly at all. Is it possible that one head unit works better than a supposedly superior unit with the radio due to arial compatibility probs?

Is there anything else I could try???

Thanks in advance,

Dan MY03 STi

Scooby-Monster
Old 14 May 2004, 10:21 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

I just fitted a DEH-P77MP to my car on Wednesday and found the complete opposite !

The radio on my old head unit wouldn't pick up stations when the car was in the garage but the Pioneer gets them all (FM & MW) even before the arial pops up. Maybe your unit is faulty ?

Great head unit tho. The only thing I need to do is work out how to turn the bloody alarm off that it sounds when the ignition is turned off, lol.
Old 14 May 2004, 10:57 PM
Scooby-Monster
Scooby Regular

I've got a hunch it's to do with a blue and white striped wire? something to do with exactly that. My car does not have a motorised arial!

by the way turn the unit off, press and hold equ (top left) and you can turn that beep off in the setup menu!

cheers

D

ps am I on the right lines with the blue/ white wire?
Old 15 May 2004, 06:26 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

If you have a multimeter, check if the little black box in the boot is getting power when the head is turned on.

G.
Old 17 May 2004, 01:05 PM
jjm555
Scooby Regular

I just installed one of these yesterday and had a problem with the electric aerial not working, with crap reception. After about an hour of scratching my head, I decided to read the instructions and found that you need to connect the two blue/white wires together.....aerial popped straight up.

Also try checking aerial connection into back of head unit, mine is a bit dodgy and reception changed when touching it, may be that.

John
Old 17 May 2004, 01:19 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Assuming you have a JDM car have you removed the fm band expander from your aerial lead?

On mine it was behind the boot trim just next to the aerial itself. If that is still there it wont be doing you any favours as it moves the entire frequency range to japanese fm frequencies
Old 25 May 2004, 08:17 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Sorry missed this. You need to connect the blue white wire (as per Scooby Monster) on the headunit to the white (I think) wire on the wiring loom. It is labelled as the automatic antenna aerial in the Pioneer instructions. Two second job, honest. It has a spade connector and is the same lead that you would use to wire up an amp on/off lead.

Steve