Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Planning on fitting new speakers - ICE Experts advise on this.....

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2004, 09:47 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning on fitting new speakers - ICE Experts advise on this.....

I run a double-din kenwood mini disk/CD Tuner which I plan to keep for the time being. I'm planning to change standard speakers. Trouble is i'm unsure as to what I should do. Having talked to guy in local ICE shop, I have gained following options:-

1. Genesis P16 Front Components with Boston FX6 in the rear shelf. I'm told I do not need an amp for this.

2. as above but if in future if I want more power then to add a 4-channel amp to power the fronts + a sub in the boot. Rears would be left un-amped and would only add "ambience" into the rear of the car.

3. Infinity 5000cs in front doors and Infinity 6x9s in rear + amp.

I know cost comes into it but I really want a set up that sounds ok which I could probably add an amp to at a later stage if I wanted a bit more

Anyone offer any alternatives/advice etc

Car is Impreza Type R

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 18 April 2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 19 April 2004, 01:21 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

Subjective question but here's my worth:

1. Infinity 605cs component speakers for the front doors. These are 90 RMS and you get crisp powerful sound reproduction. They are about £100max and available online. Ok to drive them from the head unit but fantastic if you upgrade to drive them from an amp.

2. Forget the rear speakers, you don't need them. But you do need a good 600W 12" Boxed but non-ported Sub in the boot [£100 inc box from someone like caraudiocentre.co.uk]. Power this from a 2 Channel bass amp[ again about £100].

Make sure you allow £50 to buy some sound deadning material for the doors and boot space.

Regarding your head unit, you can get some cracking bargains out of an ad-mag or on ebay.co.uk. I personally run a Kenwood unit with 1 RCA for the fronts and a non fading RCA for the Sub. You can but last years top of the range for about £120 if you look hard enough.
Old 19 April 2004, 11:30 AM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

option two sounds like something i'd do.

bare in mind though, although your components will run fine off the headunit, they can draw a lot more power then the Headuniot can offer. and if you crank the volume up, you can get that headunit VERY hot!

i'd advise option two and run it with a four channel amp, but wait for a sub and just amp all four corners in the mean time...

depending on budget,
Fronts:
Infinity 605CS components, Boston Acoustics FS60, Crystal CSC60S, DLS R6A, MBQuart DSE216, Phoenix Gold Tantrum T6.5COMP....

Rears:
Alpine SPS170A Co-axials, CDT Audio CL-6X, JL 6W0-4 (Mid Bass only, for added punch), Pioneer TS-A171C (components)....

Amps:
Crystal CAM110.4, JL Audio e4300, DLS CA50...

All the specs of these can be found on www.caraudiodirect.co.uk but they can be found cheaper elsewhere
Old 19 April 2004, 01:51 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,
I wouldn't bother with rear speakers but problem is that the holes are already there so I wanna fill them!

Nick
Old 19 April 2004, 02:20 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

i know what you mean! im looking to get the parcel shelf moulded from Carbonfibre, just trying to find a local place that does that kind of stuff...
Old 19 April 2004, 07:49 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

I have the JL e6450 amp up for sale which is 6 channel - this could run your 4 corners and leave you with room to run a sub in the future - a very flexible amp. I've never used it just bought it off one of the main guys on TalkAudio, sadly I can't go ahead with the install I had planned anymore. I paid £225 for it and would just want that back. Just giving you a good value option.

Dan.