Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Who's got "Sat Nav" in their STi 8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 February 2004, 07:19 PM
"MADDOG"
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who's got "Sat Nav" in their STi 8 ?

if so what is the best make to go for, also somebody has told me you must have an outside aerial for reception ( is this true ? ) sorry for being so thick !!!

regards "MADDOG"
Old 29 February 2004, 07:38 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've got the Alpine dealer version single din jobbie. The "aerial" is mounted on the rear parcel shelf so no need for an external aerial with this model at least. Works fine, good stereo now connected to an amp and JL speakers but the only thing lacking is speed trap software. It seems such a waste with it having GPS positioning etc that it can't take a Tom Tom 2 update. The cd rom which is updated each year so if you want to stay ahead of the pack that will cost an extra £200 per annum.

Jerome
Old 29 February 2004, 09:33 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

I have the alpine single din too and my ariel is on the dash mega device and works and soynd verywell and has three RCAs
Old 29 February 2004, 09:57 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Hi all - I've been look into the possibility of Sat Nav for my STi8 and like the look of the single DIN Alpine - it looks inconspicious compared to the TFT monitor systems, but the fact that it is small makes me wonder how easy it is to use...is it very fiddely to input info, and how easy is it to see the screen info ?

One other question regarding the cd rom/dvd that supplies the info - how does fit into the system? ie. is there a second slot, does it use the same as the music cd and download the info to the unit, or is there a separate unit mouted elsewhere in the car ?
Old 01 March 2004, 08:01 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GarethE
Hi all - I've been look into the possibility of Sat Nav for my STi8 and like the look of the single DIN Alpine - it looks inconspicious compared to the TFT monitor systems, but the fact that it is small makes me wonder how easy it is to use...is it very fiddely to input info, and how easy is it to see the screen info ?

One other question regarding the cd rom/dvd that supplies the info - how does fit into the system? ie. is there a second slot, does it use the same as the music cd and download the info to the unit, or is there a separate unit mouted elsewhere in the car ?
Only have one slot, if Alpine INA-N333R then you don't have a separate hideaway box. Popular place for GPS antenna is under the dash where the clock is, you have a flat metal surface to stick it on, should not need to be outside the car.

Andy.
Old 01 March 2004, 09:20 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Gareth i've got the Alpine sreen in mine you are more than welcome to have a look.
Old 02 March 2004, 11:38 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sammyh
Gareth i've got the Alpine sreen in mine you are more than welcome to have a look.
must pop around !!!
Old 02 March 2004, 01:21 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I use a Dell Axim X5 PDA with a Tom Tom Car kit. You can pick these up on e-bay for about £250, you can move it easily from car to car (suction mount to windscreen), u can update it to include a speed camera database/alert with a prog called GPS Assist, and the navigation software ir eally good, instructions are very clear, gives correct diagrams of number of exits off roundabout, pre-warns you of the next road/junction to look for etc. Also you get a PDA to play with too!