ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Radio Reception STI8

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2004, 08:20 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radio Reception STI8 after fitting amp

I fitted an Alpine AMP to my Alpine headunit at the weekend and think I have reconnected everything back as it should be. However, the headunit appears to be getting very hot although no warnings are coming up on the screen so that may be a side issue but the radio reception is very poor. Before installing the amp, Radio 1,2 & 3 were perfect but now while they are good just after starting up, they seem to die completely when the radio heats up. I have double checked the aerial (sp?) connection and that's fine. The black earth wire is also still connected through the plug adaptor thing as I didn't touch that and there is also another wire earthing the headunit direct to the chassis so it can't really be an earthing issue. I just hope I haven't knackered it!

Any ideas folks?

Thanks

Jerome

Last edited by JFB; 12 February 2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:59 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Jerome

Have you connected up the aerial power lead again? If so, Chiark was mentioning something the other day about radio interference after fitting an amp and he ended up fitting a new external aerial to solve it.

cheers

Steve
Old 11 February 2004, 07:19 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Cheers Steve, I have refitted the aerial connection but had no idea about the effect the amp would have on the radio reception. I certainly don't wish to drill any holes if at all possible!

Thanks

Jerome
Old 12 February 2004, 08:00 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

In the hope that Chiark reads this, I haven't been able to find your post about fitting an aerial through the search facility. What options have I got to restore the radio reception without drilling a hole in the roof. Is there an aerial that goes on the rear screen or something?

You advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jerome