Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Standard MY98 Phillips Head Unit - Connect to Amp???

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2004, 08:38 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Phillips 90DC632/92 radio/tape head unit, which connect to the standard (option from new) Phillips 6CD changer in my MY98.
I have got hold off an Amp, which I would like to connect it to, as it's not a great stereo. I have all the leads with the amp, as it came out of our old car, with the stereo too.
Will it connect?
I am a bit of a plonker when it comes to wiring this stuff up.
Old 01 February 2004, 08:52 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

you'll need a line level converter. basically speaker leads in, phono leads out.
Old 01 February 2004, 08:54 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

ugh thanks
In English?
Old 01 February 2004, 09:11 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sulli,

Does the amp have high (speaker) level inputs? If so, you just wire the speaker leads from the stereo into the amp's inputs.

If it doesn't have high level inputs, you need to convert speaker level to line level, using something that 12Lee mentioned.

It's worth saying that if you amplify a crap signal, you get a loud but still crap signal... You'd be best off replacing the stereo.
Old 01 February 2004, 09:27 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that.
The amp has connections to put speaker wires into on one side, that say bridged and mono for front, left and right, and rear, left and right.
The other side of the amp has signal front and signal rear connections for Din leads (at least I think thats what they are called).
I took the Alpine head unit out of the old car, which is better quality than what i've got, and put it in mine. However it won't connect to the Phillips changer, so I was going to put the original head unit back, and just use the amp, as I assumed it would be load better???
I also have a sub I can put in.
Oh, but it's all so bloody complicated.
I know the best bet is to upgrade everything, but I can't as I have baby on way, so must use what i've got.
Old 02 February 2004, 12:34 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

IIRC the Philips head unit has line level outputs.....but they are not standard RCA connectors (english: round ones like on the back of a hi-fi). You need a suitable block connector to fit.

Otheriwse a line level converter is needed as mentioned above....I'll have a look tomorrow just to make sure, I have one on the shelf somewhere (it's a very poor radio IMO which is why it's on the shelf! )
Old 02 February 2004, 08:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sulli, congrats on the baby front. I became a dad for the first time last September, and nothing else really matters. You won't care about amplifying stuff, believe me

First off, let's work out what the amp is. Does it have a model number or anything like that?

DIN inputs are round and about half an inch in diameter, with 5 pins in one round connector, and haven't been used for many years... It's very unlikely you've got these. You've probably got RCA connectors, which are about 1/4 inch across with a single pin...

The speaker connectors on the amp are outputs.

Honestly, your best bet is changing the head unit or finding the adaptor mentioned above. I'd be on ebay looking for a cheap and cheerful head unit that'll do what you want and have line level outputs.

Post the model number of the amp if you can. If it's got DIN connections, you also need a DIN->RCA converter. It may be more cost-effective to flog it on ebay and buy something that'll do what you want

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 05 February 2004, 11:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I just checked my Philips unit that came with my MY97 and it definetly has "Line Level" outputs.

Great! But bad news is it's a block connector (5 pins inline)....so you either need to get hold of an adapter to convert it to phono plugs or perhaps maybe use small spade connectors (bodge it and scarper) and make your own connecton leads.

It's not the easiest or most ideal ways, but it's an alternative to buying a converter that converts the speaker outputs of the head unit to line level outputs which the amp can use.