ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Recommended replacement speakers-classic

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2004, 09:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

OK, guys, what speakers ought I to be looking at for a '98 classic?

Are the Sony speakers any good?

It has a Sony 4 x 50W headunit in ,and I'm not interested in it going bump bump bump so that those outside can hear:

Alcazar
Old 01 February 2004, 12:49 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the budget?

I've got some Kenwood components in the front of mine, with some (discreetly placed ) cheap Kenwood 6x9s in the rear as infill.

It's quite good for the cost.
Old 03 February 2004, 09:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

First assume no budget limit: I'm not bothered about a sub, I just want good sounds.

Second, assume I don't want to pay the earth for a big name, are Sony ones any good? If not, what would you use instead?

I've seen some Sony ones that seem to handle high power, and have bass, mid, and tweeter, all in one? Any use?

Alcazar
Old 03 February 2004, 10:05 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Genesis Absolutes at about 2 grand?

Give us a clue, and also what music do you like.

I think sony would be near the bottom of my list personally.
Old 03 February 2004, 11:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

OK, 2 grand is out for something I listen to inside a tin box!:

This has mainly come about because I have a teenage son who now has a car, and, like all teenage lads, now knows EVERYTHING there is to know about cars, especially ICE!!

He reckons my speakers are crap.......OE Scoob ones in the front, some obscure American ones in the rear, fitted after I broke one of the OE ones, and declined to buy another at Subaru Dealer prices

He reckons I should be looking at Fosgate (???) stuff, or Infinity, or another name I can't remember.

I listen to loads of stuff from Trance to Pink Floyd, and from 60's pop to U2....which I love. About the only stuff I don't like is Rap, and Opera/classical:

I just think that since my headunit has 4x 52W, it ought perhaps to be playing into something a bit better than what I have, but I remain unconvinced about spending shedloads of cash to listen to stuff in a tin box!!! Doesn't the acoustics of the car defeat the object?

Alcazar
Old 03 February 2004, 11:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Rockford Fosgate is pretty good but is more in yer face than some brands. Have an audition. Infinity is IMHO a little bright but people on here like them and recommend them. Just cut some treble, that's all. 150 quid is probably the max you want to spend.

If you've already replaced the OEM head unit, then front speakers are a must. After that, amping the front speakers makes another massive difference.

Acoustics do rather give people a challenge, but it definitely doesn't defeat the object. It is well worth spending 20 quid on sound deadening for the front doors when you're doing the speakers.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 03 February 2004, 03:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Are there instructions on your site for this sort of thing, Nick? (Changing OE speakers for better ones, sound deadening etc?)

I found it very useful when I did my gauges, and have directed quite a few there since.

Alcazar
Old 03 February 2004, 03:33 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Aye - http://www.chiark.com/scooby/icetoc.asp
Old 03 February 2004, 05:10 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

if tis jsut a basic upgrade to keep your son happy, the i dont think it really mattters what you upgrade to.

imo Fosgate gear is very SPL orientated. that is to say, they are very punchy with bass, as supposed to more SQ which i gues you could regard as "Natural sounding".

i guess it jus depends on what you are looking to achieve...

i have a set of Kicker components if your interested? pm/email me for more details
Old 04 February 2004, 11:11 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I've heard good things about Infinity's - currently half price in halfords - I'm off for set for mine later...

if someone tells me what size to get for the back that is...
Old 04 February 2004, 12:01 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

messiah - half price!?!? - might just get myself down there! I think the Infinity 6500c's fit near enough perfectly with a spacer IIRC
Old 04 February 2004, 01:54 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

not sure which models they were - but the local shop (workington) had them reduced from 99.99 to 49.99.

they weren't 6x9's but they ad to be 17cm dia. at least.
Old 06 February 2004, 11:17 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

fosgate has always been overpriced rubbish.

it is miles away from what should be considered decent quality, for either spl or sq.

the infinity sounds like good value, but in my opinion a little tinny sounding with out any realism.

Speakers should be chosen to suit budget, music taste and listening preference including volume.

I would suggest a high efficiency coaxial for standard location fitting.

You will also find that the standard speakers can be improved enormously by feeding them with a good amp.

Often it is the amp which lets down the side, not the speakers.
Old 06 February 2004, 12:17 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Adam,

You really need to lose that chip off your shoulder, I think it's affecting your hearing... I know you go on about the secret BBG training dissecting amps, but Geoff Dutch claims BBG would never have run such a thing. Still, who's he to know eh?

Head unit amps are pony, but at least an after market head unit will have some output worthy of listening to, unlike the standard fit

Cheers,
Nick.
(happy with Rockford Fosgate Symmetry EPX2, which is a lot less noisy than a PG 215ix)
Old 14 February 2004, 06:02 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i've just fitted some pioneer ts series 16cm 3 way speakers in the back and am well happy, got some 2 way ts pioneers in the front running of a pioneer cd head unit (didn't buy pioneer out of choice,just worked out that way!)

rigged up some old calliber tweeters (in built x overs) behind the tweeter grilles and i'm more than happy with the sound i'm getting.

would deffo 2nd what chiark says about deadening the front door cards, they rattle like buggery when i put a bit of bass thru them

Last edited by hoskib; 14 February 2004 at 06:03 PM.
Old 15 February 2004, 09:09 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Alcazar

sound proof ya doors well then get some decent speakers.

Check out the Boston Accountic 6.5 Pros.
Old 15 February 2004, 10:46 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

If you fit Infinitys you will need an amp to power them efficiently, no good on just an H/U as there not enough umph to get good results. Infintys are quite bright in there sound,i have them in my doors ,although they are amped. I agree with Nick head unit amps are not worth the PCB there soldered too.

Kenwood make some decent direct replacement speakers, so you will not have much messing around fittin them.
Old 15 February 2004, 11:47 AM
goonasuk
Scooby Regular

Focal
Old 02 July 2004, 02:16 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Sorry to resurrect this but I hadn't replied after what Nick wrote last time, and couldn't resist.

Originally Posted by chiark
Adam,

You really need to lose that chip off your shoulder, I think it's affecting your hearing... I know you go on about the secret BBG training dissecting amps, but Geoff Dutch claims BBG would never have run such a thing. Still, who's he to know eh?

Cheers,
Nick.
(happy with Rockford Fosgate Symmetry EPX2, which is a lot less noisy than a PG 215ix)
I have no idea who Geoff Dutch is to know, but if you were referring to Gordon Dutch, that might be a different story!

with regard to secret training camps, Gordon would have had no idea as he was a salesman and not on the techie side. I witnessed what you are referring to with my own eyes/ears under the instruction and guidance of Bob Hobson who is THE techie guy in car audio in this country and most others.

Last edited by Adam M; 02 July 2004 at 02:19 PM.