Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Philips / Subaru Head Unit Mute for Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2004, 01:18 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

Having a car kit fitted at the moment and I don't have the manual for my stereo. The guys are trying to fit the kit so it runs through the stereo and mutes it.

The car is an MY00 (X Reg) Wagon with the Subaru / Philips head unit and a Philips CD Changer. Somebody has said that you need to activate the mute through the menu options for the Head Unit. Anybody know how to do this, or at least get me in to the menu settings?

Cheers
Olly
Old 15 January 2004, 02:09 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

I don't recall the Philips head unit having a mute line in the ISO. Surely they're just using a simple ISO harness mute relay anyway.
Old 15 January 2004, 02:19 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

That could be the problem! In the Pug they spliced the wires to get it to mute. For the Scoob they had some massive fancy wiring loom thing that plugged in to the back of the head unit.

It mutes the front speakers so that just the phone comes through but isn't affecting the back ones.
Old 15 January 2004, 02:20 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

That's it. It's a 2 relay mute box.
Old 15 January 2004, 02:22 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

just had the same problem with my 00MY turbo.
It seems the front speakers will only mute, need to upgrade your radio to have one with phone mute on to get all 4 muted.
You can hear it ring fine with the fronts muted then just turn it down a touch if need be.
(I'm on the look out for a replacement Pionner head unit which has the mute feature, dont wanna spend a fortune though)
Old 15 January 2004, 02:23 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Forgive me here - but I know not a fat lot about all this. What does that mean in Noddy terms?
Old 15 January 2004, 02:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Ahhh - damn and bu**er. Trouble is mine came with a Philips CD changer in it. From what I have been told I would need to change that as well as a head unit by another manufacturer wouldn't work??

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2004, 02:28 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

ok mute primer...

1. The mute function on a head unit is simply a wire that connects to a car kit to mute the radio when the phone rings or is off hook.

2. Playing the phone audio through the car speakers is something different and has nothing to do with the mute capabilities of a head unit. This requires a mute interface. It's basically a set of relays (one per speaker) that are triggered by the mute signal on the handsfree kit and swap the audio from the radio output to the handsfree kit output. You don't need a head unit with a mute function for this.

3. But if your head unit has mute, *and* you use a mute interface, it's nice to still wire the handsfree kit mute lead into the head unit too so that, e.g., the CD pauses when the phone rings.

hope this helps.
Old 15 January 2004, 02:29 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

You'd need to find a Phillips headunit with the phone mute facility I guess. Not sure how easy they are to come buy though..
Old 15 January 2004, 02:34 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Visions of Rocking Horse Muck for a new Philips unit. Seems like they are not doing much in that market these days - can't find anything about car audio on thier web site and nobody around seems to stock their stuff. All spares now come through VDO Siemens as I found out when I got the car in Dec 03 with no magazine for the CD changer and was trying to source one.

Have to live with hitting the Volume for now until I can be bothered to do somethign with the ICE as the speakers need sorting as well as the OEM ones are absolute pants