ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Standard head units. I like them

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2003, 04:22 PM
MentalJapTurbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I’ve come across a number of threads sl*ging off the STI 8 standard head unit. What’s so bad about it. It plays CDs, and tapes (not that I own any). It has nice big buttons that can be pressed with gloves on it the winter and no body is going to want to steal it.

Why would I want to fit an after market one;

1. They have very small buttons and are coloured like the Starship Enterprise.
2. They only fill half the space on the dash and are unlikely to match perfectly.
3. You have to take the front with you in the hope that the puts off a thief.
4. You get you car broken into anyway, because the thief assumes you couldn’t be arsed to take the front with you and it’s in the glove compartment.

Seriously though what am I missing and can anyone recommend a retailer in the Newcastle upon Tyne area who can give me a demo.
Old 28 December 2003, 04:36 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You drive with gloves?

For shame! Hand back your keys to the STI, and get yourself to the Volvo dealership

More seriously, the unit is functionally adequate but the sound it produces is slightly less musical than me singing in the shower

It hasn't got a cat in hell's chance of being decently audible at any speed.

Changing the stereo can make long journeys on a motorway a lot more bearable, but if you're finding there's nothing wrong then leave it alone.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 28 December 2003, 11:54 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree with you MentalJapTurbo. I was so impressed with the Clarion tape / CD unit in my MY96 WRX import and so I can imagine that the Kenwood (I think that's right) in your STi8 is good too.

I've had a number of cars since I started driving 8 years ago including a brand new Mini Cooper Sport in 1998 and an MGF VVC, both of which had rubbish tape decks that had to be ripped out and upgraded within weeks of picking the cars up. But I could have been quite happy with the Clarion that came in my Scooby if it weren't for the fact that the CD player kept skipping.

I've just put in a 6-month old Kenwood MP3 CD player and I now have to drive round with sunglasses on to avoid being blinded by the multi-colour display. It is blue AND red AND green! The old bill have pulled me 5 times for having neons in the car. Gatwick Airport authorities have asked me not to drive too close to the perimeter fence because pilots think that I'm trying to guide them in to land. It really doesn't subtly blend in with the rest of the interior like the original unit did. And I can only work out how to change any of the settings if I've stopped at traffic lights - if I'm trying to concentrate on driving, everything's too small to see what I'm pressing.

Having said that though, I agree with Chiark as well - I couldn't have put up with 35 watts per channel for very long.

[Edited by DJNafey - 12/28/2003 11:55:45 PM]

[Edited by DJNafey - 12/28/2003 11:57:20 PM]
Old 29 December 2003, 05:12 PM
MentalJapTurbo
Scooby Regular

Wink

Point taken about the gloves, but I only need them because I changed my leather gear **** for an ice cold metal sphere one.

I must have ears sensitive to volume, but not quality because the volume will go up well beyond what can I stand for more than 5 minutes and still sounds OK.
I'll get myself that demo.