ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

More double / single DIN questions for classic model

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2003, 01:21 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, im still confused.

I have the Addzest double din thing in my STi. I have a Kenwood 8024 head unit on the way and have a single DIN PSi3 SECS Monitor.

First, I havent looked at this, but, how does the OEM unit come out? And whats left behind after, ie, is there a cage behind it?

Second, if I want to fit the new 2x single din units, will they just go straight in, or will I need an aftermarket cage. Part numbers appreciated too!

Help much appreciated.

MB

[Edited by Dark Blue Mark - 12/26/2003 1:27:57 PM]
Old 26 December 2003, 02:47 PM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

Alrite mate, have a look on this website, just been fitting new stereo in my classic, found this very helpful indeed.

http://stefanostadal.homedns.org/car_mods.htm#Knocklink%20Monitor%20&%20Bosch%20Kno ck%20Sensor

Hope Stefan doesn't mind.

hope this helps a bit
Old 26 December 2003, 04:20 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Been on there before but didnt notice the stereo bit. Ta far that, will have a look. very good site!

MB
Old 26 December 2003, 06:34 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Its all for the RB5, so single DIN unfortunately. Any other ideas? Had a quick look at the head unit, and cant really see how it comes out.

Chiark?!

MB
Old 26 December 2003, 06:38 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=265750

All becomes clear, from my old thread

MB

[Edited by Dark Blue Mark - 12/26/2003 6:40:02 PM]
Old 27 December 2003, 12:39 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dark Blue Mark,

I remembered telling someone how to get the stereo out a little while ago. Just checked back for the old thread .... and it was YOUR thread !!! I've included the same details again below.

The extra info that I might not have said originally is that the standard double-DIN stereo (in my MY96 WRX at least) does NOT have cages. The unit that the tape deck and CD player are housed in actually screws into the sides of the stereo. Which leaves me a little confused - I can't remember whether I fitted my new single-DIN stereo in a new cage. I think I actually screwed the housing unit into the sides of the stereo like it was originally. Hope this helps mate. DJNafey

I swapped out my double-DIN stereo at the weekend so hopefully I can offer some advice. My car is a MY96 WRX import.

First job is to take out the entire centre console unit. To do this, pull out the cup holder thingy at the top and that reveals 2 screws securing the top of the console. Then pull out the ashtray (can't remember the significance of that but I remember doing it!). Then detach the gear lever gaiter and you'll find the 2 screws securing the bottom of the console.

Detach the top and bottom trim surrounds.

You can now pull out the metal unit that contains the receiver/tape deck and the CD player aswell as the ashtray and lighter. Be careful to disconnect the wiring blocks and aerial.

The tape deck and CD player are both secured in the unit with 2 screws in each side. Undo these and everything is free.....but there's no top to the unit so be careful - it's rigidity is just based on the 2 sides being screwed to something in the middle.

Take out the tape deck or CD player and replace it with your single-DIN unit. If you keep 1 old unit in place, you'll be able to judge exactly how far back to position the new one. Screw it in and then take out the old one. Advice - After I fitted my new stereo at the bottom and fitted it all back together, I found it was a bit stuck behind the gearstick and I wished that I'd put it in the top hole.

Take care of any wiring and don't forget the aerial!

Fit ..... (deleted - this bit isn't relevant any more) ....... corners.

As the Haynes manuals always say "Refitting is the reverse of the above steps" or something like that.
Old 28 December 2003, 12:42 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Dark Blue Mark,

I've changed my head unit again today (!) and I cannot see any way to get a cage in there, unless you welded it in! But it's not a problem: you can screw your new stereo in through the sides of the unit, just as the original one is. I did this on both the 2-year-old Pioneer CD unit that I took out today and the 6-month old Kenwood CD/MP3 player that I've just fitted.

Having your stereo screwed in rather than in a cage has the disadvantage that it can't be taken out quite so easily ..... but it also has the advantage that it can't be taken out quite so easily! No passing thief is going to sit inside your car with the alarm going off so that he can spend 5 minutes taking your dashboard apart (if he knows how to) to get your stereo out.
Old 28 December 2003, 12:44 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

If someone can tell me how to upload a picture, I'll put up a photo that I took earlier to illustrate my rambling more clearly.
Old 28 December 2003, 12:11 PM
PETENAUD
Scooby Regular

You screw in your new head units, cage dont fit

as above

Old 28 December 2003, 06:51 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thanks both

DJ, a picture would be useful, but I think I get what you mean. Had a quick look at the centre console, and doesn't look too hard to get out.

MB

Old 30 December 2003, 09:40 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Going for it today

Do you use the existing screws? Can you mail me a pic?

Much appreciated.

MB
Old 30 December 2003, 02:22 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mark,

You should be able to use the existing screws. They're normally a standard size (well, they were in my car anyway).

I've emailed you a few pics. It doesn't really tell the whole story but, along with the instructions that I posted here, I can't see that you can go wrong. It's a surprisingly easy job.

Nathan
Old 30 December 2003, 02:34 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ta agian, its all done and in place! There was a left and right hand bracket which screwed into the OEM head unit (and also hold the whole thing into the dash), I just took them off anf re-used them on the Kenwood, simple as that! The Kenwood already has tapped holes in the sides to allow the brackets to go on. The bracket is then screwed into the centre console with 4 screws.

Took under 2 hours which was good. Working on Subaru's is normally an ****, but this was nice and easy. Also did much hoovering around the hand brake / gear shift area

The 8024 head unit is really impressive too.

Just got to get a pocket to fill the DIN hole, and find somewhere for the CD changer.

Ta for the help, and for the pics DJ. My centre console is quite different, but the principle is the same.

MB

[Edited by Dark Blue Mark - 12/30/2003 2:59:15 PM]
Old 02 January 2004, 03:04 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

CD changer should fasten to the floor under the passenger seat.