Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

my01 wrx ice upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2003, 11:31 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok a few questions if you can help me out guys would appreciate it.

1 I have all standard system in the car, i also have a sony xplod 10 disk multichanger, is it compatable with the head unit? can i fit it? or do i need one of those boxs to make them compatable? if it will fit at all?

2 what size are the speakers? front and rear? so i can upgrade them, can you make any suggestions as to which ones to fit just into the standard fittings maybe something 3 way? i think the fronts have components as it is, so maybe just need to upgrade the back 2?

any other suggestions welcome

many thanks
Old 19 November 2003, 11:25 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 19 November 2003, 12:01 PM
RussMK3
Scooby Newbie

First things first what head unit have you got.

[Edited by RussMK3 - 11/19/2003 12:11:05 PM]
Old 19 November 2003, 12:17 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Fronts are rubbish so replace them. 6.5" will fit - just - but you'll need a MDF spacer. Anything from 12mm to 18mm depending on the depth of the driver.

I put 4" in the rear doors and they will pop straight in but their position actually makes them near useless.

No idea about the multichanger but nowadays you can get lots of connection kits. I would actually think about changing the headunit, though, as it is truly terrible.
Old 19 November 2003, 07:19 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

tthanks for that, the head unit is well not sure, standard with a cd and a tape player on it, not sure what make that is, seems similar in most wrx i have looked in. When you replace the front ones what do u do about the component part in the door? replace them with new components? or get 3 way in the hole in the door?

thanks
Old 19 November 2003, 10:21 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Ideally, put a component set in the front door - i.e. bass unit with separate tweeter, plus crossover. Bass unit and tweeter replace the old ones, crossover can mount in a few positions, I mounted mine inside the door at the bottom, spaced off the metal to make sure it didn't effect drain holes etc.

Your changer won't work with the standard head unit without an adaptor. Change the head unit, as it is pretty useless anyway! Either go for double din head unit (limited choice), single din head unit with separate in dash changer (blaupunkt are the only I know of), single DIN plus a single DIN SECS unit (do a search on SECS), or single DIN plus a £10 storage pocket - which is the most popular choice

Re: rear door speakers - even with good ones, their position means they'll never do a lot for you in the drivers seat. Better off going with good head unit and fronts. After that, either fit a sub, or make up a rear shelf install. Then fit amps, then upgrade more . . . . and it will never end

Im my MY02, I stuck with a small amp, head unit with in dash changer, front speakers, rear shelf install and a small 4 channel amp, which works fine for me.