Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Garmin GPS

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2003, 02:03 PM
kend
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone use any of the Streetpilot range of portable GPS systems. Are they any good? In particular how fast do they acquire and start tracking?

Thanks
Old 20 November 2003, 11:19 AM
ianwhit
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a streetpilot 111 that I use very regularly and am delighted with it.
It's portable (so I've used it on the streets by hand) and transfers between cars easily.
If I go to the states then it will need about 3 minutes to see the new set of satelites. If I go from my home in the UK to France and then switch it on it will only take a minute to acquire. If I am driving and switch it off - and then switch it on 30 minutes later - it is ready in seconds.

I have waypoints that are locked in all over UK and Europe. When I ask for a route to go to one of them (depending on distance) it will take approx 2 minutes for a 250 mile route.

The memory chip of 128mb will hold maps of London and South East, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, North France, Belgium and up to Amsterdam on the one chip. Similarly a trip to Vienna, Berlin and back will hold on one.

The pluses outweigh the downs for me. I travel, use different cars and take it everywhere. The downs are that it is slow to pick up and adjust routes and it does not like a tunnel of more than 1/2 mile. The colour screen is fantastic and the voice direction essential. The combination of both perfect.

Had my sti up to 160 in Germany and it kept up and recorded the moment!!

I see (because the model is being replaced) that the price is coming down