Question

My current setup is :-

headunit - sony MEX-5DI

front spks- JBL P652 Fronts

Rear spks - JBL P953Rears

spk amp - Xtant 404m

SUB amp - Kenwood KAC-PS810D 1600 watt monoSub amp

SUB SPK - Rockford Fosgate Punch DVC 10" 500rms/1000peak in a sealed box

Now this system with sub sounds stonking, but if i turn it up, the sub starts clipping. Now ive been advised by different people about how to get more bass, but id like to be certain 1st. Im thinking of buying another sub exactly the same as the one ive got. what will be the best setup? 2 sealed sub boxes?, 1 sealed box with both subs in, or ported or bandpass....etc.
This is where im lost.

can anyone help?

Cheers,

Simon

ps forgot to say ive a 1 fared CAP too.

[Edited by SyHightower - 10/30/2003 11:38:14 AM]
Old 30 October 2003, 11:57 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First thing is to play before you spend money...

A single 10 will struggle to get bass through a saloon in huge quantities, but you may find a lot of improvement if you remove your rear speakers completely and allow the boot to vent into the cabin.

If you still want more, make a ported box. It goes without saying that this doesn't just mean "whack a hole in the front of the existing box"!!!!! Tune it to 30Hz or thereabouts for quality, or higher for a lot more bass. If you do tune it higher, an infrasonic filter is useful to stop the sub trying to destroy itself below the tuning point.

You can do a lot with the box before spending money, but if you decide that you still want more then look at buying another identical sub, or a single 12 to replace the 10. (I'd go with 2 tens in a saloon - I've got a single 12 in a wagon. 2 tens with the same excursion as a 12 will move more air than a single 12 assuming that you don't isobaric them.)

The box choices that you have are to go for sealed chambers for each sub, common chamber, individual ported chambers or bandpass config. Don't go for common chamber IMHO. If you're wanting more output, look for individual ported or bandpass. Bandpass is the most difficult to design - I'd get EF Max from Talkaudio.co.uk bbs to design one for you - but should give the most output with a fairly good response. A badly designed bandpass will sound ****e...

Hope this is some use,
nick.

Old 30 October 2003, 12:29 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

Question

Cheers for that, ive removed the rears to see, but it only made a small increase and also i dont like loosing the volume and richness of my 6x9's.

its really come to head after i sat im my mates hatchback with a much lesser system that sounded the nuts. So it looks like buying another sub and doing a dual bandpass enclosure. i tried using WINisd to design one but its a bit in-depth for me.

just to clarify dual 10" 500/1000watt subs in a bandpass box will sound the best for this setup. The music i mostly play is hiphop thats full of heavy bass.

cheers

Simon
Old 30 October 2003, 01:17 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hmm, if you want deep bass you may be better off with a larger driver. 10s are great for "tight" bass, and do drop to a certain extent but you may want more bass lower down in the register... If that's the case, look at a larger driver.

A bandpass box would be best for output IMHO, but it does need to be designed right.

What sort of money are you thinking? You could be looking at something in the RE or Crystal range to do the job for you extremely well.

I'd have a word with some of the bassheads over on talkaudio.co.uk as they're a very, very helpful bunch and will have a lot more knowledge than me, that's for sure

How much space can you afford to lose in your boot?

next thing you know, you'll be suffering from VSS (vibrating spoiler syndrome) and wanting to sound deaden the whole lot massively

Good luck

nick.
Old 30 October 2003, 02:24 PM
zero77
Scooby Regular

If you want lots of low bass then why do you need 6x9's in the back? Remove these and get some really good comps in the front. There is a danger of a powerfull sub blowing the crap out of the 6x9's. They are a hinderance in a setup when subs are used...
Old 30 October 2003, 09:06 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

i mainly listen to hip hop but i like a variety of music. im not totaly sure im a "bass-head", i just want to turn the volume up loud, and keep the bass to match. at the moment the sub clips when its turned up loud, and dosent seem to keep up with the rest of the system. Dont get me wrong, it still shakes the hell out of the boot/spoiler, but its just not getting into the car like it did in my pug 306, cos obviously of the boot.
i like the 10" cos its punchy, and can respond quicker for fast beats.

Im really after SQ with volume, rather than just rough SPL thats probably why ive got over 2 grands worth of kit in so far.

i want the box to be about as big as the gap behind the back seats to the wheel arches about 85x35x35cm, so as not to take up all the boot. i want to box off the 6x9s as i like the sound of 4 speakers around me not just the 2 fronts that are on the floor.

hope this makes sense

Simon
Old 30 October 2003, 09:07 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

SQ with volume is just what I'm after - some people call it SQL

Old 30 October 2003, 09:12 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

so you reckon a second sub to match in a bandpass box designed by EF Max then? obviously IYHO

Simon
Old 30 October 2003, 10:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd certainly speak with the chap and take it from there - try asking on the talkaudio forums too, as they are a good lot over there