Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

CD changer and where??

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2000, 08:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have a clue as to what Cd autochanger you can fit to a MY00 - the std head unit seems to be 'CD friendly'
Also where is the connector located?? I assume there is one just sitting there somewhere??
Pete
Old 17 July 2000, 10:59 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get a Phillips 6 CD changer from your dealer, mine is fitted under the front passenger seat which I like, some don't. I prefer being able to access it from the car, and not having it subject to abuse from flying luggage (i.e. boot fitted). People who take a lot of passengers are worried about it being kicked. According to my price list it is £264.95, don't know if that is fitted or not.

I warn you however that IMHO the standard head unit is pants, not just the sound, but everything!. So I would advise you to consider an alternative head unit and CD changer which you could probably get for not much more that the Subaru/Phillips item, or just get a CD head unit if you don't play tapes that much.

Incidentally, there are no tweeters in the door handle bits, you need to spend £60 to get them fitted at a dealer, however I believe they are wired up, and I have seen posts here on fitting DIY tweeters, I'm too lazy, so I'm going to pay to get mine done, however it definitely improves the sound.

Hope this helps

Simon
Old 18 July 2000, 09:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks Simes - the head unit is pants you reckon??

I have seen a Sony CD changer with what looks like a radio transmitter fitted - then you tune in the radio to its frequency ... wonder if this is any good?? no wires or such like?? £199 in sale

Yes I am aware that there are no tweeters - I would reckon if the wires are there then it is just a case of buying some that would fit - £60 seems a bit heavy??

pete
Old 18 July 2000, 10:23 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Cool

For info 200 quid you can get a Sony DJ C33R RDS Radio/Cassette complete with 10 disc changer from Edworthys.co.uk or Hendoncarstereo.co.uk. The unit is reasonably well spec'd with 4x45W, CD/MD control, CD Text, 1 pre-out and D Bass for techno heads. You could then flog-on the old unit for say 20-30 quid.
Just a thought.
Old 18 July 2000, 11:08 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Just to let you know I've started to look into replacing my head unit cos I hate it and I want a MiniDisc head unit anyway. It transpires that the Phillips changer you would get to go with your std head unit is not compatible with anything other than a Phillips unit. The general concensus is that even a quite expensive Phillips head unit won't compete with half decent kit from the likes of Panasonic, Sony etc. etc.

It seems a shame to have to throw it away but there you go, came with the car anyway.

So I'd definitely advocate looking at the sort of offers Mark_S mentions, think you'll be happier in the long run.

Incidentally, I'm not normally that fussy about car stereos, think I've been spoilt by the fact that my last few cars have had Sony's in as standard, fiddly to work, but sound pretty good.

Cheers

Simon

PS I find it amazing CD changers don't have a standard, does anyone know if this is really true? I posted this question before with no replies.
Old 19 July 2000, 12:30 PM
Maddog
Scooby Regular

Yep, there is no standard for CD changers, different innards, different cables, even amongst there own make..........
Old 19 July 2000, 01:44 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

My changer's in my glovebox.
For a somewhat enthusiastic description (it was one of my first posts!), go to

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2000, 05:41 PM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Simes, not only is there no standard between manufacturers but if, two years down the line, you break your change (ooh, say a PC monitor that you forgot was in the boot slides across and whacks it when you fail to slow down for a roundabout, for example you understand )then the same manufacturers new changers may not work with your "old" head unit. BTW this was Blaupunkt which actually have a damn good tone, nice meaty bass. Also there's a place in Belfast doing a Sony 7900 (think that's the model number, it's the one up from the 5970) mini-disc head unit for about £130 inc VAT (I can get you their phone number if your're interested, just drop me an email)
Old 19 July 2000, 06:57 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Would everyone agree that the Mini Disc route is the way to go for a new installation?? has the CD in-car had its day??

Thanks for all your posts by the way - very helpful (I was the one who bought a BETA video player see??? ha ha ha) so Iam edgy about jumping in when everyone is jumping out !!

Pete
Old 19 July 2000, 10:43 PM
NICK OAKLAND
Scooby Newbie

Pete, Standard Phillips headunit uses the RC026 chamger from '97 on and all '93 on head units use the DC082 changer (which is now discontinued )

You're right about the MD-it's the right direction to go, you can record all your mate's CD's onto Mini and save a fortune and spend the money you would of spent on CD's on petrol & make Gordon Brown even happier in the knowledge that you been shafted yet again ! (Sorry to be so cynical).

I can install a Sony DJM6500RGN for £369 including VAT and installation (Mobile as well , if your not to far away !) This setup comprises of the MDXC6500RGN Mini Disc player and the CDX 601 10 disc player. I usually mount this in the spare wheel using a 16.5" diameter, 12mm MDF disc sprayed black. This helps stiffen the floppy card floor panel and puts the CD Changer in a dust free enviroment where it's not going to get knocked by flying bags of shopping, etc. You really need to upgrade speakers as well as the factory dual cones are now going to get a right thrashing with a proper head unit in there. I normally suggest some Pioneer TSG1655 at £55 per pair and £40 including VAT to fit both the front & rear pairs. I can be contacted at AVS ON 01793 772299 for more info.

Cheers, Nick.
Old 19 July 2000, 10:55 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

For me MD is the way to go because I have two MD players at home and an MD walkman, so I have already got a fair collection of MD's, I also have a CD cutter at home (I am Mr Gadget man!) and loads of CD's so a CD changer is essential. I have long since given up on tapes. I haven't event used the cassette in the car.

However if you don't already have MD, but have a reasonable collection of tapes I'd go with a tape head unit and CD autochanger unless you plan to get MD at home. Pre-recorded MD's are not to easy to come by even now.

Current In Car magazine has some tests of tape/CD changers and MD head units at reasonable prices, read it in Smiths tho, not really worth the money.

Cheers

Simon
Old 20 July 2000, 09:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks all of you - its been very enlightening ... I am not too sure if I could justify spending loads on a great hi-fi set up as I have a wife and kid wanting a holiday this year!!

I really would like to know what that Sony CD changer transmitter is like mind you - £199 seems to be in the right ball park for me

The spare wheel position sounds ideal Nick - does it infringe with getting the wheel out if need be?? ... mind you I cant remember the last time I had to get a spare wheel out .. so it may not be a prob

Thanks all anyway

pete
Old 20 July 2000, 10:51 PM
NICK OAKLAND
Scooby Newbie

Pete,

Mounting the Changer in the wheel well doesn't obstruct removal as the panel can just sit in there and the weight of the MDF & the changer keeps it all in place. The wing nut retainer must be changed for a normal bolt which can be nipped up with one of the spanners in the tool kit-hey presto !