Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Audio dealers like doctors

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2003, 03:15 PM
Nick Land
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You get a different opinion from each one.
I've now been to two Sextons branches (different suggestions) and now to Uplands at Whiteladies Rd in Bristol.
Tinny sound from front door speakers.
Uplands have suggested another Phase amplifier with phase 12" subwoofer and box in boot keeping existing Kenwood KAC-6401 to drive speakers. They said that upgrade to focals wouldn't make as much difference as adding a sub in the boot due to the amount of air displacement required.

Anyone got reports of Uplands good or bad-quick please cos I've booked in for Friday
Old 08 October 2003, 06:57 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

what is your current setup and what are you looking to do with it?

a lot of companies will push what they have good contacts with, and wont always give the best advice for yourself, but more for their own purposes.

for example, two companies in my area, one swears for Rockfrod, the other by Kicker. they both deal with and supply the likes o fFocal, MB Quart, Infinty tc... but they make more on stuff they dont order in....

keep this in mind...
Old 08 October 2003, 10:53 PM
Nick Land
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for reply jag e.
I have a Sony CDX MP40 head unit with a Kenwood KAC 6401 amp. The speakers are unknown sony upgrades but the whole system sounds thin and reverberates on high volume.
Sextons dealers all tried fairly hard sell and Uplands initially just fiddled around with the graphics without trying to sell anything.
I want to be able to play music LOUD without distortion and Uplands sytem looked the most kit for the money and their arguments seemed to make sense. i.e. that scooby doors were so thin that there was a limit to what you could achieve from door speakers.
Old 09 October 2003, 03:11 AM
soundmotor
Scooby Newbie

They did give you the best advice overall. Adding a subwoofer can be very satisfying. But, the "reverberating" you are hearing is the speakers overloading because of how loud you are playing them. You will still be able to do that after you add the subwoofer. You need to restrict the bass frequencies that are going to your front speakers. Your amplifier should have a built-in high-pass crossover that can be engaged for the front speakers. Set it at ~80Hz or higher. You won't miss that information when you have the subwoofer installed. If you already have it set and you are still having trouble, I suspect the gains on your amplifier are incorrectly set and should be readjusted.

soundmotor

[Edited by soundmotor - 10/9/2003 3:14:51 AM]
Old 09 October 2003, 08:08 AM
Nick Land
Scooby Newbie

Soundmotor-I suspect you know your stuff. Thanks for the advice as I was getting overload from all the conflicting dealer stuff.
Old 09 October 2003, 12:15 PM
jag_h
Scooby Regular

have you sound deadened the doors? i did this while still running the stock speakers, and it has made a world of difference. i used Dynamat Extreme, its has cut the vibrations of the panel, and also helped sonically with the speakers...

With a decent set of components, you should be able to get a nice front end punch of bass, but the sub will definately be needed for the throaty stuff.

which ever option you consider, i would advise strongly to get the doors, and boot if your going for sub, sound deadened...
Old 09 October 2003, 05:07 PM
soundmotor
Scooby Newbie

I agree w/ jag_h on adding sound deadening to the doors. And, it can absolutely improve a stock system's SQ. It is an easy Sunday morning D-I-Y too. You do not need to put multiple layers in either. You should get an order of magnitude improvement with 1-layer on the inside of the outer door skin. Each successive layer will have a nominal gains beyond the first.

soundmotor

Trending Topics

Old 09 October 2003, 05:11 PM
soundmotor
Scooby Newbie

Cool

"Soundmotor-I suspect you know your stuff. Thanks for the advice as I was getting overload from all the conflicting dealer stuff."

Thank you, but, after 17 years in the business, all I am really sure of is that I know less than I thought I knew 16 years ago!

soundmotor