Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Cables......hhmmm

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2003, 12:54 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to have a go at making my own RCA`s and Power/Ground cabling for my amp.
I suppose I could do the same with speaker wire as well...

can anybody recommend what gauge cables to use for each lead please as Im not all that at working out resistance/flow etc.

Andy

ps I will get the gear from vehicle wiring products if thats any help
Old 02 October 2003, 10:09 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many watts of power will you have?

I have made my own RCA cable, and used a GOOD quality ,triple shielded, OFC cable and quality gold plated RCA plugs.

When you make the cable up make sure that there is no short ciruits in the cable when complete, also if the cable has a foil shielding inside, that this is not connected to the plug.

You can get 0AWG , 4 AWG and 8 AWG cable for power purposes, 0 carries the highest current. My install use both 0 and 4 awg, i am running around 1200 watt RMS so the cable is plenty good enough.

Speaker cables varies as to what the speaker itself is used for, say a high powered sub will need 10 AWG speaker cable because of high current, mid range and tweeter need smaller cable because of smaller current demands.

Remember that you can fit a large gauge power cable NOW , and if you do upgrade to bigger amps you will not have to upgrade your power cable as well.

I've never worried about resistance/capacitance in cables , if the cable is used for the purpose it was made for, then everything should be fine, as long as your not running the cable over very long lengths that is.

Hope this help you out a little.