ICE virgin(ish)

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2003, 03:22 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi,
my only previous dabble in the world of ICE was to wire up a massive 2ch amp to some 6x9`s on the rear shelf of my SAAB
it sounded shyte!

I am about to fit a IC waterspray which will involve removing the passenger seat and carpet to run the water hose from the boot.
I prolly intend to install some basic ice in the near future so thought this would be a good time to place any wires needed.
I saw in Halfrauds™ today a set of posh looking amp phono leads by a company with green packaging (???that help) beginning with Q.
It was silver braided cable (4ch.)x5.0m at about £30.
is it any good?
how would I get speaker wire from the front speakers back to the amp?
My sony MD headunit is 2 preouts and a sub, would I just connect a twin phono from this to a sub dedicated amp?
Do I really want a sub (im not bang into my house etc, more Erykah Badu and Norah Jones?
I was thinking of some 6" components up front and some 6.5" mids on the shelf (99 saloon), I know MBQuart used to be good gear but is it still so?
Its definately clarity over volume that I want and I`ll take all the advice going.
Cheers]
Andy
Old 18 September 2003, 07:12 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

That'll be q for Qudos - I've the 4 channel rca and its very good, the better range from autoleads.

Run the power cable down the side of the car (passenger side) and feed it through the air con grommet to the battery. Run the speakers elsewhere; i've mine down the centre at it seems fine there (ie don't run the power next to the sound cables). Use one of the holes in the bodywork in the boot (not a spot weld one) to earth the amp. For some decent bass, but not too low or loud, i'd look at the genesis 6x9s subs for the rear shelf, and keep the sound up front and bass from the shelf, or something along those lines.

Have a good look around chiark's website (i'm sure if you put chiark into google it'll bring up the URL, can't remeber it off hand) - good place to start.

Hope this helps

cheers
Old 18 September 2003, 07:23 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Always make my own RCA cables up, they cost me a fraction of the price to make , and are a dam site better quality.
Old 19 September 2003, 07:52 AM
nickthehead
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Andy, a mate of mine runs a car hifi shop in portchester called Andy's Audios. If you call in he will give you all the info you need. Good luck.
Nick