ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ICE for a 96 MY WRX STi

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2000, 05:54 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I want to replace the Japanese system in my car but the centre console trim gets in the way of the radio/cassette fascia on the UK models I have tried.
I don't want to have to cut the trim and I'm sure I'm not the only person who has faced this problem. Any suggestions?

Steve
Old 19 April 2000, 03:19 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well that worked then!!

[This message has been edited by SteveG (edited 19-04-2000).]
Old 19 April 2000, 03:39 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Is it the new or old shaped interior?

If its the old I can help, if its the new, appeal to the better judgement of andy tang, lee (of 22b.com) or perhaps mike tuckwood although I believe he has the old dash.

There is much you can do as the din size head unit is standard almost across the world. The japanese use double din but all that does is increase your options. I know of kenwood units causing problems but pioneer should be easy to fit. mail me offline if there is something specific puzzling you.

Old 19 April 2000, 05:06 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Adam suggests that I can help, I'll try!!

I've got a UK MY97, but I know the problem you are experiencing, as the problem is with the size of the hole, rather than the spec of the interior!!

What head unit have you been trying?

I know that the DIN hole from Jap cars are slightly smaller than the European ones!!

Some of the better (read more expensive) head units from Alpine, Sony, Kenwood, and others I'm sure, have a removable trim. The trim sits around the edge of the face plate, and isn't required for the Jap cars.

That will solve the problem, but if your head unit doesn't have the removable trim, you will need to cut back the trim slightly, or get a different head unit!!

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 21 April 2000, 01:09 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Question

Adam.

I have been trying to E Mail you, I keep getting an undeliverable message back??

Mike.
Old 21 June 2000, 04:24 PM
Flymo
Scooby Newbie

Question

To continue on from Andy's advice, does anyone know which head units will fit the standard fascia on a WRX STi (mines '99) ??

I originally wanted to install a Blaupunkt Texas DJ (MD player + 5 disc changer) in the 2 DIN sockets, but hadn't considered that the the jap gap would be smaller.

My local 'expert' offered to cut it for me, and the only other option I can think of is to get UK spec trim and use a boot changer.
Anyone tried this ??? I've had a UK spec one, but can't remember the exact layout !!!

Cheers in advance.

Old 22 June 2000, 07:52 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Same car, same problem, I actually am happy with your bog standard one CD but need to change the unit because the signal booster for the radio that the importer installed is pants and the Addzest unit it came with looks a bit naff.

I'm going for the double unit again (same as GGR advertise) Sony WX C570R cheapest so far £399.99(that inc VAT and PP).

As for installation the old threads suggest taking all the plastic covering around the gear stick and centre section off so you may get away with not cutting chunks out of your car.

If anyone knows of any other double units to fit STI V5/6 please tell.

...Ian

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2000, 09:41 AM
NICK OAKLAND
Scooby Newbie

Pioneer & Clarion also have a double DIN unit available. The Pioneer unit is the FH-P6600R @ £550 including VAT, see at