Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Upgrading System in VX220 + connecting iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2003, 12:18 AM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

First off I should say that I have practically zero knowledge on sound system related stuff - like most of the population I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a £100 system and a £100,000 system.

I'm looking at upgrading the sound system in my VX but I don't want to spend too much money - a couple of hundred quid at the most.

Most of the time I'm in the car, the stereo (a VDO
Dayton CD3200 stereo radio/CD player) is turned off anyway.
I want to upgrade due to the fact that I'm going to be doing quite a few motorway miles over the next few months, especially this coming Friday when I'm driving from Liverpool to St Tropez, and a few tunes wouldn't go amiss.

I've been recommended to simply buy a Kenwood KSCWA62RC Subwoofer (http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/produc...affiliateid=98), but am having problems getting hold of one in time for it to be fitted before I leave on Friday.

I'd also like to know the best way of connecting my Apple iPod to the stereo system - it doesn't take cassette's and so I can't use my old cassette adapter.

What other recommendations would you guys make?

And where's the best place to buy car audio that can be next-day delivered?

Thanks!

Andy.
Old 23 July 2003, 09:19 PM
atche
Scooby Regular

Getting decent sound out of an VX or Elise is a nightmare, and by fitting an active sub, you probably will notice the biggest difference in sound quality than replacing the speakers. Lotus didnt do anything to make it good for listening to ICE (an understandable thing to do, considering the type of car they are).

As for listening to the ipod, you need an headunit that can take an aux in. I dont know if your VDO unit can do this - best check with a local VDO dealer. Otherwise, get something like an Alpine CDM 9803R (£179.90 RRP)- if you dont use a CD changer, you can get a lead for about £15, that converts the cd changer input to a RCA input. you can then connect the ipod that way.
Old 23 July 2003, 09:55 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

You could get something called a Soundfeeder that plugs into the Ipods headphone output. Then all you need to do is tune the head unit to a specific FM station. No wires needed.
Not sure what the sound quality is like though.
I think they are about £20 from Expansys.