Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Where do people mount their amplifiers ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2003, 01:59 PM
Glenn Coombs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My head unit (a Sony MP70) is okay but I'd like to add an amplifier to my audio setup. Am I better off going for two separate 2-channel amps (one for the front speakers and one for the rear) or just one 4-channel amp ?

I was thinking of getting a 4 channel amp and mounting it underneath one of the front seats. Is this a good place to mount it or will there be problems with heat dissipation. Where have other people mounted their amps ?

Finally, any recomendations for good 4-channel amps ?
Old 16 July 2003, 03:17 PM
WagonRich
Scooby Regular

--
Am I better off going for two separate 2-channel amps (one for the front speakers and one for the rear) or just one 4-channel amp ?
--

Just get a decent amp for the fronts, and run the rears off the head unit.

--
I was thinking of getting a 4 channel amp and mounting it underneath one of the front seats. Is this a good place to mount it or will there be problems with heat dissipation. Where have other people mounted their amps ?
--

Shouldn't be any problems, you'll probably want to block off the air vents underneath the seat so you don't blow hot air onto the amp. Always the risk of it getting kicked as well.

--
Finally, any recomendations for good 4-channel amps ?
--

What's your budget?

Rich
Old 16 July 2003, 03:29 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Mounted mine in the boot (on both 4dr and 5dr). Well, when i say boot, i mean on the back of the rear seat, next to the 12 disc multichanger. Still leaves you with boot space. The only downside is that they can get scratched if you arent careful with the things you out in there.
Old 16 July 2003, 03:57 PM
Glenn Coombs
Scooby Regular

WagonRich,

I've installed some Infinity 6x9's in the rear of my Impreza. These were installed in a previous car hooked up to a 2-channel amp and they definitely sounded better like that than when being driven from the current head unit.

I do still have the 2-channel amp just sitting around so I suppose I could try your suggestion first and see what it sounds like. That way it wouldn't cost me any money at all.

Was only looking to spend about £200 on the amp, so was probably going to try for a second hand one.

Boro,

I fold the back seats down and stick my mountain bike in the car so mounting on the back of seats is probably not ideal for me. In fact, anywhere in the boot is more likely to get bashed than underneath the seats I'd have thought...
Old 16 July 2003, 04:37 PM
Twohot
Scooby Regular

YHM Glenn.
Ben
Old 16 July 2003, 10:46 PM
WagonRich
Scooby Regular

Aha, now I see a bit more about your system. I presume you are using the 6x9's to get a bit more low end, and have no sub? If that's the case you'll definatly benefit as you planned by amping both the front and the rears. Don't really follow the 2nd hand market, so I wouldn't be able to recommend anything to you I'm afraid, but if you've already got a 2ch amp I'd just add another amp rather than changing to a 4ch - although the 4ch will be simpler from a cabling perspective, and take up less space.

Rich
Old 17 July 2003, 09:39 AM
Glenn Coombs
Scooby Regular

Aha, now I see a bit more about your system. I presume you are using the 6x9's to get a bit more low end, and have no sub?
Spot on. Having 2 amps is just going to take up too much space. I think the single 4-channel amp is the way I'm going to go.
Old 17 July 2003, 10:25 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

here you go...

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=229386

I never used it!. Make me an offer.

Darms
Old 17 July 2003, 10:58 AM
Glenn Coombs
Scooby Regular

darms,

I don't think that 4x30W is powerful enough. I'm looking for something more like 4x75W RMS. Cheers for the offer though.
Old 17 July 2003, 06:49 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I've got a phoenix gold 150.4 sitting under the drivers seat, driving front Kenwood dual mag components and infinity 605cs mounted into the parcel shelf. Believe it or not, Halfords were doing a very good deal on this amp - I got it plus the infititys for £230 all in. The amp isn't powerful enough to really do a sub justice, but is more than enough for driving full range speakers IMHO. The amp goes far anough under the seat that it doesn't get kicked with me driving, though it may be exposed if you're "vertically challenged"
Old 17 July 2003, 07:37 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

Alpine amp deal