Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ICe suggestion for WRX MY03

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2003, 10:13 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought an 03 WRX, love it but hate the hi-fi. So, I need a better sound and have a few questions; all help appreciated:

For now, can I keep the standard head unit and add a Kenwood KAC-PS501F amp and Kenwood KDC-C715 CD changer?

I think I’ll go for the Infinity Ref 6000CS fronts but what rear speakers do you suggest? Not really that interested in fitting a sub and would like to use the standard rear mounting points.
Old 10 July 2003, 10:42 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

First off, lose the head unit. It's the worst part of the chain believe it or not, and that includes the speakers

Go for an MP3 unit and you may find you no longer need/want a changer...

Then change speakers/add changer as necessary

Then add amp if needs be.
Old 11 July 2003, 12:29 AM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

was reading an article on head unit output power the other day; even after market units only put out 10-15wrms, with the highest being around 25-30wrms for the more powerful ones (like the alpine 60*4 rated 7893 mp3 player). So you can see why they distort so quickly (even more so for an OEM unit) and why a dedicated external amp is far superior for both volume and sq.
Old 18 July 2003, 10:44 PM
RogerFord
Scooby Regular

But what if you really don't want to lose the head unit?
There are some good reasons for keeping it -

Aesthetics - it looks right in there.
Ergonomics - it's remarkably simple and intuitive to use. Many aftermarket units are an ergonomic nightmare.
Cassette - while I mostly play CDs, some stuff I've only got on LP, so having a cassette player is handy. Single DINs generally have either CD or cassette, not both.
Anti-theft - no-one's likely to break in to steal a double-din unit, and I hate having to carry front panels around with me (and they might well break in anyway to see if you've stashed it under the seat.

I replaced my speakers (with some 60 quid Pioneer units) and it did improve things - it no longer distorts nearly as much. But it's still not that great. I wonder if adding an amp - and maybe a changer - would mean that you've bypassed enough of the original unit for it to sound good. Or would the basic pre-amp circuits screw things up. Anyone want to guess? Or aren't there any pre-outs for a additional amp anyway?
Old 19 July 2003, 12:47 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have to disagree with you nearly every point but hey, if we were all the same it'd be boring

- aesthetics: the unit is ugly IMHO.
- ergonomics: a steering wheel remote control is a lot easier and safer to use. You can't add this to the OEM unit
- Double DIN units are being stolen, more cars are coming with them. The unit has no security
- casettes: most people have cd-writers...

The OEM head unit is the weakest link in the chain. It's like the old computing addage: garbage in, garbage out... You can spend money on speakers and that will give an upgrade, but I wouldn't dream of trying to amplify the OEM unit. For a start, there's no line level outputs so you're working on an already amplified signal.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 19 July 2003, 04:59 PM
RogerFord
Scooby Regular

Fair enough. Do most people have CD writers on their hi-fi these days? I don't. And my computer's a long way from my turntable. But maybe I'l get a decent external sound unit for my laptop.

So what would you recommend that looks good in the 03 dash, has (perhaps optional) steering wheel remote, plays MP3s, and will drive a reasonable pair of component speakers without extra amplification?

I'm not over keen on the Alpine units, they look rather fiddly, and seem to have been designed for LHD cars. Was thinking of the Blaupunkt Los Angeles - what do you reckon? Not too interested in DAB, I only really listen to Radio 4 on the radio.

And where can one get a pocket to sit underneath that matches the 03 dash?

Cheers for the advice.
Old 19 July 2003, 06:11 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Most stuff that you might have on tape, providing it's not home recording, can probably be found on the file sharing networks. As you already own the stuff, it's probably less illegal to download it

I'm using a forester pocket underneath a Kenwood KDC-PSW9524 (I think!). It plays MP3s very well, goes well in the dash and does the job. There's plenty of other options too.

have a search for "single double din" and you should find a load of threads on the subject with part numbers etc.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 20 July 2003, 06:05 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

If you really don't want to tchange the head unit, then i wouldnt go for any component speakers as they require too much power.

I would look at some 2 way pioneer's.

I have recently change the head unit on me 03 wrx to a panasonic 883n mp3/cd tuner and it looks nice in the dash.. I have infinity 6000cs speakers (and are still looking to connect them to an amp to get the best out of them)

Old 20 July 2003, 09:45 PM
fastfox13
Scooby Regular

If you are going to change speaker take a look at the Orion speakers. They do two ways and components that are 3 ohm. The result of which you get more volume and power from your head unit or amplifiers. The lower impedence will not do any damage to anything but you get 33% more power for nothing !!!
www.orioncaraudio.com
Orion is part of Directed Electronics the same parent company as Clifford. Might have a local Clifford dealer that stocks them.
I have a set of ^.5 components in the front of my car -- awesome !! Sound superb and take a hammering !