ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Speakers Arrived - What Next?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2003, 12:53 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Well I've finally taken the plunge and just gone for the Infinities. 6000CS upfront and 4002i (with unipivot tweeter) in the rear doors of my MY02 WRX

I guess I need to make up a MDF collar, but wanted to know:

1) How much speaker wire I'm gonna need to take the original wire to the X-Over (to be mounted behind door panel) and then back to the Mid / Tweeter.

2) What is the best way of connecting speaker wire (In Your Opinion)

3) What glue should I use to mount the tweeter on the original bracket

4) Any other tips and advice (I've already been to Chiark's site)

Cheers
Nige
Old 25 June 2003, 10:27 PM
naturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just put 5000cs in the front of my 03 (smaller size meant I could mount further forward in the hole to give better clearance of post on inside of window - you'll see what I mean with the window down and the inner door off).

2) If you're planning on keeping the head-unit->speaker wire and extending it for the crossovers, the best way is probably to snip the connectors off, but you can't go back on that one (I didn't and put some halfords crimp cable splitter thingies - I'd be more descriptive but I just threw the box out).

1) Depending on where you mount the X-over (in door behind speaker or towards rear of door where there's more space), you'll need 1-1.5 mtrs of cable per door.

3) no idea - one of them hot glue gun thingies probably. I just bolted the tweeters in their provided holders to the furthest forward hole (still not quite far enough forward, but still sound great).

4) 5000cs needed 18mm MDF (think 6000cs are same depth) - cutting slotted holes will allow you to adjust bracket position slightly if your drilling's anything like mine. Need longer screws (obv.) to mount collar to car - probably need shorter screws than provided with speakers to mount speaker to collar.

PS sound is way better with just these changes (not started on the dynamat, subs etc yet )