ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Rockford RFD 2115 on Kenwood KAC-923

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2003, 06:22 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Learn't something new today, having installed my new sub, a rockford 2115 i was getting problems with fuses blowing , over heating ETC. Uprated the fuse to 35amp , fitted extra cooling fans to the front of the amp as it was getting VERY hot, to the point where it was cutting out . I wired the amp to just one voice coil of the sub which is 2 ohms, the amp is bridged and switched to two ohm/bridge mode, now i did not know that when you put two ohms onto a bridged amp it is actually 1 ohm (thanks to car audio direct for the advice). No wonder the amp was struggling to run the sub, hope no damage is done, will have to configure the sub to 4 ohm, so in bridged mode it will be seen as 2 ohm. You learn something new everyday, don't you.
Old 30 May 2003, 07:41 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sorta half a story there

First off, DO NOT run only once voice coil of a dual voice coil sub. JL Audio will void the warranty without any hesitation, and I can't see that Rockford would be any different.

Bridging an amp effectively means that the impedance that each channel of the amp is playing into is half of the bridged load, so a 4 ohm mono load is the same stress on an amp as a 2 ohm stereo load.

With that sub and amp, I'd run the voicecoils in series and bridge the amp. (Connect + of amp to + of voicecoil 1. Connect - of voicecoil 1 to + of voicecoil 2. Connect - of vc2 to amp -.)

Cheers,
Nick./

Old 30 May 2003, 07:52 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Nick,

Will rewire the sub tom , in series as you say, this did cross my mind before the install but for some reason i did not do it. Never mind you learn by stupid mistakes like this.

Do you think this amp is capable of running this sub OK.

Cheers

Lea

[Edited by BigRed - 5/30/2003 7:54:49 PM]
Old 31 May 2003, 05:54 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sub rewired in series , everything works fine now but i feel that this sub is a little underpowered maybe get a monoblock to get things really going!!! Any recommendations??? £250 budget