Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Head unit sound cutting out - please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2003, 09:51 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello;

I recently bought an STi Type R, and have always had a problem with the above! I have installed a new head unit today, and the problem is still there (i thought it would TBH, but just wanted an excuse to buy a new head-unit)! Anyways, the problem is thus:

All speakers work, but after a few minutes of play (or instantly if the volume is turned up) all the speakers stop output, and will not play anything for hours after! The head unit is still counting the CD minutes etc, and is outputting to the speaker wires.

Before I dig up all the cables to see if there is a problem, is there anything this is likely to be? I checked the front speakers today, despite some dodgy method of connecting the wires (now rectified), nothing was wrong there!

So, I assume it is a problem with the wiring to the rear speakers, or possibly an earthing problem with the headunit (which appears to be earthed to the stero cage).

It really bugs me when people have such a car, and botch things in! All the lugs on the door cards are scratchex (as is the surrounding area of the lugs) GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Thanks for any help!
Old 11 May 2003, 04:35 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I would look at the ISO connector, either a dodgy block, or I've heard of wiring shorts doing this......

Try diconnecting speakers...

Sorry, but it really is a process of elimination

Best of luck

Dan
Old 12 May 2003, 03:03 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like you have a short somewhere or quite possibly that one of your speakers is blown although it may not sound like it until its turned up.

Your ground on the headunit sounds fine.

If i were you i would remove the headunit out of the dash with it still wired up and try one speaker at a time. i.e only have one connected at a time.

And when the unit cuts out on a certain speaker you will be able to trace and fix a lot easier.

Mel.

p.s my moneys on it being a damaged speaker.

Old 12 May 2003, 03:22 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd guess at a short on a speaker too. Measure the resistance of each speaker on the ISO block and you'll find it...
Old 12 May 2003, 06:49 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

The earthing method sounds er... novel. If you've got some decent wire and some small crocodile clips you could try improving the earthing and see if it still cuts out. Doesn't sound like it's earthed properly anyway so even if fixing the earthing doesn't resolve the problem, it should improve matters in the long run.

Try multimetering across the rear speakers with the wiring disconnected. That'll show if their the same resistance/impedance as each other. You can see if there's a short circuit in the speaker wiring by doing a continuity test with the ISO connector disconnected and with the speaker disconnected. You shouldn't get a circuit.

It doesn't sound like a job to take five minutes over before tea though unfortunately. More of a fine w/e with no time problems and/or nagging. :-(

Vindaloo.
Old 13 May 2003, 07:40 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yep - if you check the resistance of the appropriate pairs of connectors on ISO, you're checking the resistance (or impedance as we're talking about AC here if you want to be **** ) of speakers.

You should see around 4 ohms. Less and you've got a problem.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 05 December 2003, 04:25 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Checked the torsion bars in the boot last night, as it seemed to be working fine (i.e. at any volume) until I shut the boot, after opening the boot and turning off/on the head unit, the speakers would come back to life! Replicated this 3-4 times, looked at the wiring, tugged it about and now they wont work for long with the boot down either! GRRRRRRRR!!!!

Pretty sure it will be a ground problem, as the problem is when the volume is turned up - i.e. drawing more power/current! I have used the balance/fader settings to test each speaker, but the head unit cuts out on each one! Looks like I will be using a multimeter and possibly rewiring some speakers at the weekend (which in itself is not a bad thing as the wires look as if they have been taken out of a 3 yr olds electricity set!!!)

Forgot to say, Chiark, will a test at the ISO confirm a short if it is at the speaker end of the wiring?

[Edited by ragnarock2 - 5/12/2003 4:26:33 PM]