Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Amp & speaker advice??

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2000, 11:49 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting a MY99 car soon. I have a Kenwood MD mask (4v) head unit & CD changer.

I'm after some decent front speakers (up to £300), a subwoofer to fit a SubWorks box, and an amp to do these speakers justice!!

Just want to bounce some ideas around for the moment, but will look to buy in a month or so!

Cheers
Andy
Old 08 May 2000, 11:13 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Bostons are good but I would try somethinmg different just for individuality.

A make I am considering is Diamond audio. They make some bold claims but I believe they can live up to them, not cheap. Perhaps a little out of you price range, but don't worry about that. I can work something out with some friends up north and bring them into your price range (fingers crossed).

Go to precision audio in rayners lane (north of the river in london) and ask to hear some. Its the only way to judge.

They also do subwoofers with a small mounting depth which you may find suitable.

As for amps, there are only three makes worth considering to be perfectly honest.

Phoenix Gold
Soundstream (not as good as they used to be)
Orion.

There are others which are fantastic but not worth the money. All the above companies have several ranges oone of which will suit your budget. Pound for pound, they easily outperform anything from alpine/kenwood/sony/pioneer etc.

If opstage doesn't bother you, you might consider buying in the states for about half the price. british warranty wont cover you, but if there is a problem just send bak to the states for £15. Other option is search ebay.com for a second hand one. No import duty that way. Just look under the make you want then email the person selling.

Buying through an american express card sinsures the purchase against theft.
Old 08 May 2000, 12:06 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Question

Andy.

have a look in the for sale section, I have some kenwood Amps And a complete custom made (for Impreza) Sub box, still for sale.

Mike.
Old 08 May 2000, 12:14 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mike, but in my current car I have the following:

Kenwood MD MASK Head Unit
Kenwood CD Changer
2 * Alpine 4-channel amps
1.5 fard cap
Kenwood Components up front
Pioneer Speaker on rear shelf

I guess I just fancy a change!!!

I'm toying with the idea of some Boston Acoustic up front, but am undecided on the sub and amp!

What size are the front speakers on a MY99 UK car??

Thanks
Andy
Old 09 May 2000, 09:48 AM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Re: Adam M's suggestion of buying from the States...

I am currently trying to get a reconditioned SoundStream 604 (4x75W) Amp from a guy that has 220 of them. The price is excellent, but I want to spend no more than $250 including shipping which is only a bit under what he wants for one (inc shipping). Anyone else interested in making this a "bulk purchase" from the guy and driving the price down?

I'm in Leeds, BTW. The guy has an excellent feedback status at EBay. Mail me if interested and we'll see if we can get what is an awesome amp for a damn good price.
Old 09 May 2000, 02:31 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

sorry I didn't reply offline, but this is exactly the sort of deal I meant. If you have the confidence, go for it. It is a damn good amp. Personally I feel its not in the phoenix gold league but they retail at closer to $850.

An excellent move, and I doubt you'll be disappointed.