ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Recommendations for ICE...and where in Bristol

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2000, 11:41 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

It's gotta go - the standard MY00 head unit and CD changer (negotiated latter with the dealer to get it for £100 with the car, but wish I hadn't bothered)

So...I've got £250ish to spend on head unit and CD changer, but any specific recommendations out there (like real current model numbers)? My initial research seems to suggest in general:
Sony - expensive
Alpine - expensive but very good
Kenwood - value for money but quality sacrificed for gimmicks/rotating graphics?, revolving fascia subject to mechanical failures?
Panasonic - cheaper end of market?

Also, any recommendations for where to go in Bristol for trying anything out/sound (!) advice/competitive prices. Would envisage fitting it myself.

TIA
Old 08 May 2000, 10:59 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Martin . . .

I've also got a MY00 with the crap standard Phillips head unit. I was nearly tempted to pay for an autochanger, but glad I didnt now.

I've just ordered a Pioneer head unit and autochanger from Edworthys -
Old 09 May 2000, 09:27 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Go for a pioneer, whichever is in your price range.

There is no such thing as rrp in car audio (or anything for that matter) so don't be afraid to ask for a discount. It won't work with mail order places but usually it doesn't need to as they have already knocked off 25%.

Avoid halfords, you pay a non negotiable full price and the ease of fitting doesnt make this a bargain to get it for free.

Look in the back of max power (hate to admit it). They have countless v cheap companies who will supply mail order units.

Go into a shop, choose a unit just above your price range, then look for model number in mail order company advert, and you will be able to afford it.
Old 09 May 2000, 09:59 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've just fitted a Pioneer DEH6100R to my scooby with standard speakers and the sound is much improved.

Easy to fit. A lead came with it which fits the scooby plugs. The only problem is getting all the wiring to fit when you replace the headunit. All in it took about 15 minutes.

Got mine from Edworthys. Excellent service and price.