Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Front Speaker problems in MY03

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2003, 01:36 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a nightmare this is turning out to be. Went to have the Focal Access 165a speakers fitted in the front.

The speakers are 63mm deep (without the rubber boot). and they will not fit even using 20mm mdf. The part of the shape of the door card touches and stops the cone from moving.

The next problem is there is a screw holding part of the window frame in place that is stopping me using a lot of other shallow speakers with flatter magnets.

The only speakers I can find that fit easily enough are the infinity 605 cs.

And now the Focal place is giving me a hard time about returning them because they fit in the older impreza's.

Im nearly regretting upgrading the speakers now its costing me a fortune.
Old 24 April 2003, 02:47 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I fitted them with 12mm MDF on TOP of the original pods...
Old 24 April 2003, 02:52 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

no pods on the front speakers they just have a metal framed speaker. using 20m of mdf it clears the window by a mm or so. the front is touching the door card (where it scoops back) and sounds terrible. Looks like the very limit is 60mm. Tried a lot of other speakers too (phoenix gold, JL, genesis) and still no joy. im gutted. The infinities are the only componenets they had small enough to go in, but im not a fan of infinity and im a bit gutted.

and the focal place is giving me a hard time about returning them too.
Old 24 April 2003, 03:58 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Oh ****. I need to get the door cards off mine, but it sounds like I'll be making a door build for them then
Old 24 April 2003, 06:23 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Pbee, i've fitted JL Audio XR 650 CS components in mine ( Sti8 ), no problems, just the usual mdf spacers.

simon
Old 25 April 2003, 08:50 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell, those doors are shallow!!!!!!!!!!!

I reckon without MDF you've got about 35mm clearance maximum.

My CDTechnologies speakers are 70mm deep.

This is going to mean a door build to sort things out. . And massacreing of a pair of innocent door cards. Sheesh, this'll be fun

Old 25 April 2003, 10:47 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Chirak did you actually take your door card off ??. is it just my car that is different. I had infinity 605cs fitted which are 16cm diameter and 53mm deep fitted with 12mm mdf, they reckon with 18mm mdf they could go nearly to 60mm depth but it depends on the projection of the speaker at the front as it would be very close to the scoop in the door card. Tried genesis but these had a very proud cone and that pressed against the door card. and the phoneix golds (tantrums) not csx's the magnet was very broad and it wouldnt pass the window holder frame.

the infinity's are taking a bit of getting used to I seem to be permenantly adjust the eq on the head unit as different music can seem so bright and then others is spot on.

Im gutted the focals or genesis wouldnt go in, and now one of the rear pioneers is playing up so i will have to take that apart over the weekend.
Old 25 April 2003, 11:39 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yes, i took the card off... Do you think I;ve got x-ray vision?
Old 25 April 2003, 01:47 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Question

I am putting my car into my local ICE dealer next Thursday and he fitted a set of 17cm DLS Components up front to a STi7 no problem. My car is a STi8 so do you know if the doors are the same?
Old 28 April 2003, 02:51 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Chiark

just checking I thought you might be doing some clever maths from my measurements and speaker details. Good luck with the CD beasts you know it will be worth it in the end :-).

I think it is pot luck with speaker fitting. It depends on the depth below the fitting and the height above the fitting and the shape of the cone.

I had about 8 different speakers "sized up" and the shallower models tended to have broader magnets but they hit against the metal window bracket thing. So it really is a minefield.

Might be an idea to comprise a list of what is good for fitting and the method of fitting.

p.s the ice place now has a deep grudge against my03 scoobies and the fitter was chain smoking when I left.

still gutted no focals or genesis :-(. Might have to buy a genesis amp to cheer myself up.
Old 28 April 2003, 03:02 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Cheers, the "what fits" is definitely more critical on MY03s IMHO. Might be the same with 01/02s, but seeing as people haven't complained before, I guess it might be the 03s that are slightly different?

A list would be worthwhile... I'll look into that.
Old 29 April 2003, 06:36 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Re the MY02, I did some measurements a while back. Basically, where the spker sits there is a 6mm recess to the "inner circle" of the inside door skin, then an additional 40mm to the window.

Therefore with a 12mm spacer should be able to accomodate 58mm below the speaker rim.

Please note my measurements are only approximate and should not be used in any purchasing decision!!!!

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=168368

Nigeyboy
Old 29 April 2003, 08:32 PM
Paul G
Scooby Newbie

I'm in the process of fitting Kenwood KFC PSR 70P's to my MY03. I had them in my old MY99 with 6mm MDF spacers. Looks like I will need 14-16mm to fit them in these new extremely shallow doors. I used both spacers from my last mod and put a speaker in. There seems to be a fair bit of space in the new panel to get the speakers in. The kenwoods are about 62mm deep.

I still trying to find the ideal place for the crossovers. I had put them behind the trim that holds down the carpet across the front doors, but the new trim has a much tighter gap to the front bulkhead. I really don't fancy taping them in the door.

At least the panels are much easier to take off this time. I've managed to get my 10 disc player under the passenger seat and my amp under the drivers seat.

I was recommended an autoleads FP006 double din spacer. It doesn't fit and I had to get the dremmel out to get it in. I'm going to investigate the silver facier.

I've only Dynomated 1 door and haven't noticed a difference yet. I've laid it in the inner and outer skin bottom 1/3rd.

Not sure if any of that helped. It's good to be back in the fold after a years break.

Paul

Old 30 April 2003, 01:53 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'm having another hack with the CDTaudio stuff this afternoon. Given that they're 70mm deep, this will be fun, but at least we should know how much will fit
Old 01 May 2003, 11:50 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Can you say "door builds"?

Pics when I've got 'em done.
Old 01 May 2003, 12:33 PM
Bungoblob
Scooby Regular

Smile

Guys,

I have just had fitted a set of 6" Phoenix Gold Tantrum components to my MY03 WRX front doors, and they went in with no problems, just use a 18mm MDF spacer. I wanted it stealthy, so the tweeter was hot glued direct to the door after removing the original tweeter mount. The sound is very good, very musical.

Maybe the problem is the use of 6.5" instead of 6" speakers?

Hope this helps!

Tom
Old 01 May 2003, 12:45 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The problem is purely down to depth. Even the CDTechnology 5 inchers that I have will not fit due to depth.

18mm is the absolute limit of MDF that will fit happily under the OEM door cards IMHO. Any more and you will be having problems with the speaker cone/suspension/surround touching the curve in the door panel over the speaker grill.

I'm paying Maximum Impact in Leeds to make a set of pods for me. Looking at what is to be done (dismantle cards, make MDF surrounds, fit surrounds, fill and smooth the profiles, recover bottom of door card in vinyl) then I didn't feel confident enough in case I made a nasty mess of new door cards.

We were playing with angles yestarday and can get the speakers firing slightly upwards and into the cabin without any dramas.

Pics will be forthcoming if anyone's interested.
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 02 May 2003, 12:49 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Wow that sounds like a lot of work and ching ching what a cost, probably cheaper than buying a good speaker that does fit though. Would love to see some pics when the work is done.

good luck

Peter
Old 05 May 2003, 06:54 PM
Paul G
Scooby Newbie

All done and dusted. The Kenwoods sound great. I put my tweaters onto the existing brackets. Had trouble putting wires through initially, but found a circular gromet above the main wiring lume gromet on the body . Then found a small hole in the door about 150mm below the main door entry loom. I used 12mm spacers (good old fashion jig saw) with 2-3mm of dynamat behind.

For those thinking about it, it took me about 8 hrs to put a new header, speakers, amp and Cd changer in.

Now onto trying to get some subtle bass into the car following Subaru's great idea to move the rear speakers into the door. Messed around with a bridged 6 x 9 in the passenger side free rear slot. I don't fancy relocating the aerial coils to get both 6x9's in.
Old 05 May 2003, 08:13 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Paul

Where did you put the X-overs in the end?
Did the Dynamatting improve things after the install was completed?

Nigeyboy
Old 06 May 2003, 07:54 PM
Paul G
Scooby Newbie

To be honest I'm not sure if the dynamat has made that much difference in the front. That is based on the original speakers with my head unit. I had also heard that it changed the 'clunk' of the door, but definitely not true. I'm hoping when I sort the rears out that the boot will generate more bass. I was extremely sad and did one door 1st and then the 2nd to test it out.

The crossovers are in the car. When you open the front door there is a piece of trim across the door that holds the carpet down. This bends round the front of the door and wraps round towards the front bulkhead. The drivers side has enough room to put it behind (a tight squeeze), the passenger side has been tie wrapped to a couple of cables under the glove box next to the plastic trim.

I'm not happy about passenger location, but I feel they should be left in the car. I've messed around with the cut off and attenuation settings, which if they had been stuck in the door would have been fairly time consuming.

I've read somewhere on a thread that bubble wrap, plenty of duct tape and then stuff them in the door. I'm sure a professional fit would hide them pefectly, but not nearly as much fun.