ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

A littls sound advice

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2003, 07:00 PM
griffm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have fitted a sony cdx-M630 head unit (4x50w) and the standard speakers are now lagging behind.
1, Do I need an amp ? I only use 1/2 volume max, or would decent speakers suffice (I could always get a small amp at a later date)
2, is it 6" speakers front and back ? (MY99 uk turbo)
3, what's the difference between std and coaxial speakers
4, the head unit has high and low pass filters ? and output for a "sub" !!!! what are these
All replies are welcome, I'm not after a show stopper just good clear sound.

so much for a "little" sound advice, oh how I drone on sometimes.
Old 22 February 2003, 10:03 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

H/U amp's are not good enough for 'good clear sound' get a decent amp you will notice the difference straight away. Don't be fooled by the 4 x 50 w output on your head unit , this is a PMPO (peak maximum power output) reading with probably 10% THD, meaning it is more like 4 x 10w RMS at a low THD if your lucky. A good qualiy amp (not some 4 x 200watt megaamp off the market!!)will easily push a true 4 x 50w RMS.I always look at RMS values when buying amps, this is a true output reading of the amp at very low harmonic distortion.

I fitted Infinity 605's to MY00 in the doors they make an amazing difference , they are running off a power amp. I have kept the OEM speakers in the rear,they are not used but I think they are 6 inch speakers(don't take my word for it!!!).

Ignore standard speakers they tend to be a low quality full range speaker which do not sound to good and offer very poor power handling.

Co-axial speakers have the woofer,mid range(if 3 way), and tweeter speakers plus a small cross over built into one speaker unit, these are o.k if your on a tight budget but do not offer the best sound quality.

Component speakers offer a seperate woofer, mid range(if a 3 component system) and tweeter speaker plus a good quality cross over. These systems sound better then co-axial speakers with clearer sound and better power handling but do cost more than £100 plus.

The settings on you're head unit are for the low level (RCA outputs) that you will connect to an amp. How many RCA outputs are there EG 2 or 3 stereo pairs???.

The low pass setting (LOW FREQUENCY) cuts off high frequency signals EG 60,70,100 HZ nothing above this frequency will be heard from the speakers.

High pass setting is for cutting out the LOW frequency EG below 100hz this is a useful output for stopping distortion at low freqs on small speakers which cannot handle bass as good.

SUB setting is for setting the SUB-WOOFER level and cross-over point when connected to an amp, this is useful for setting the sub to the correct levels to stop distortion.

BigRed

[Edited by BigRed - 2/22/2003 10:18:28 PM]

[Edited by BigRed - 2/22/2003 10:27:17 PM]

[Edited by BigRed - 2/22/2003 10:36:59 PM]
Old 22 February 2003, 10:51 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best advice I can give is get down to one of the scooby meets and have a listen to a few different set ups. It really helps to know from the beginning what you want in terms of speakers, subs, amps, etc. Whilst you might think you can build your system up as you go along, it can end up costing more, as you prob wont allow for future upgrading when choosing the bits and pieces you add into the car. Also, in terms of installation, it's easier and cheaper if you only have to install cables once, rather than each time you add say a new amp or speakers.