ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Help! Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2000, 07:11 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I am trying to improve the sound in my 99MY. Today I fitted new Alpine 16cm three way speakers in the rear parcel shelf. They sound very clear and punchy, but I am still not getting the bass sound I want. I am told that you can fit 6 X 9 speakers in the back, and as I have a set, I was wondering if any one had attempted it or had it done professionally.

My current thinking is to take out the large mounting plate and mount the 6 X 9 speakers from underneath on spacers into the surround on top.I dont fancy cutting any of the metal.

Any help much appreciated as the rear parcel shelf is a bit ragged now where I have removed the original covers, which will not fit the new speakers due to the height of the tweeter etc.

Thanks
Greg

[This message has been edited by Greg115 (edited 08-03-2000).]
Old 08 March 2000, 08:18 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Depending on what speakers you have, you should be able to do it OK without cutting any metal. Have a look at my website
Old 08 March 2000, 10:15 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for replying so quickly the photos were extremely helpful.
One question though, have you kept the original speaker covers in the rear or are those the alpine ones in your pic. I cant quite make it out.

My 6 X 9 speakers are Sony and I dont think they are going to fit as the surrounding frame is very bulky.(Ive tried roughly and it looks like a no go.) I will buy a pair of Alpines 6 X 9's tomorrow and put the 16cm speakers I bought today in the front doors. I have had a look, took door trim off etc, and this shouldnt be a problem as there is plenty of room,(i.e. depth) and the front speakers I have are 16cm standard.

Best Regards
Greg

[This message has been edited by Greg115 (edited 08-03-2000).]
Old 09 March 2000, 09:37 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

No comment.
Old 09 March 2000, 09:51 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

no comment adam ? Aaahh..I see. Topic about "rear speakers"

Greg, although adam said "no comment" if you look carefully it was actually "you shouldnt fit rear speakers, invest in a set of decent fronts"

however, I've got a pair of 6x9's, cutting WAS required for mine cos they're bulky. If you raise them with a spacer and choose slimline ones they'll go straight in, maybe at a funny angle though..
Old 09 March 2000, 09:14 PM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Talking

<RUMOUR>Apparently, the apertures are actually 5x8s. This size is available in a few ranges, and my friendly dealer recommended Cerwin Vega! drivers.</RUMOUR> It looks about right to me...

I'm thinking I may want a bit of sound from the back too (mea maxima culpa!), but perhaps I need to play with front speaker positioning yet...
Old 11 March 2000, 12:10 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

I havent been able to get on to the site for two days. Dont know why, even tonight its running a bit slow.

Anyway, thanks to all of you that replied, I have now fitted Alpine SPE-6930 6X9's to the back and Alpine SPE-1630 16cm speakers in the front. The sound is ROCKING, you can make the seats vibrate with the power of the rears and the fronts add to the extreme clarity. Yes I am still using the original head unit but I am no longer getting the distortion that I had before and the music is clear as a bell with bass that would make you think I had a bass box in the boot.

However, the 6 X 9's were a pig to fit, what with trying to juggle the holes to be drilled and the hole already cut in the parcel shelf cover so that this was hidden when finished, however I managed in the end.
Well worth it, as I said the new 16cm speakers I originally fitted to the back just didnt do it.

Thanks again
Best Regards
Greg