Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

How to remove the head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 11:26 PM
scoobdoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a clarion cd player that came fitted with the car (99 v5 sti) How the hell do i get it out.
Old 09 January 2003, 11:48 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't think the STI v5 is any different to the UK models, but with mine the stereo had two holes on either side that you slotted a couple of U-shaped tools into. The clipped in-place and allowed me to pull the stereo out.

My new Alpine though needs the thin plastic trim around the stereo removed first (Alpines own trim, not the Subaru dash). There's some spring clips that you need to unclip before the stereo slides out.

Other option is the stereo is screwed to a security post behind the dash to prevent it from being knicked. You'd need to remove the glovebox to have a proper look then.

Stefan
Old 10 January 2003, 10:15 PM
scoobdoo
Scooby Regular

Worked it out today! CD player was screwed in, no mounting barackets. Had to remove the plastic around the handbrake lever, then the plastic around the gearknob, then unclip the plastic surround that goes around the heater controls, radio and storage space. Then you can see the screws that hold the double din socket in place! Remove the screws, fix new cd player in (nice mp3 cd player, just recorded 18 discs onto one CDR!!) and put everything back again! Why is it that I always have screws left over!!
Old 11 January 2003, 11:35 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Question

I was gonna fit my Alpine into my STi5 the other week, I had the same prob as you at first, no idea how it came out!

When i did figure how to get it out I found my connections arn't the same as the car's loom...

How did you get yours to fit?, did you buy and adaptor and if so where from?

Cheers

John
Old 01 December 2003, 08:39 PM
scoobdoo
Scooby Regular

I got a iso adapter from the local auto factors, it was actually for a panasonic radio but the connections were the same. Then I worked thru the old connector in the car working out what each wire was feeding(with a multi-meter), then cutting, one by one, and splicing to the new connector with butt connectors. I dont know if it helps but it seems the original connector plug had all the positives down one side of the connector and all the negatives down the other side. I cant believe how thin the cable is, it is like telephone cable! You may get lucky and find an adapter that will connect straight into the original wiring loom, but I didn`t!

[Edited by scoobdoo - 1/12/2003 8:41:59 PM]