Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

C.D./Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 1999, 05:29 PM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend the best single disc C.D./Tuner for approx £300-£400.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 24 February 1999, 11:49 AM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Whoa Chris, that's a lot of money for a one-shot CD player, at least for me anyway!

Not sure how the purists would feel, but I bought a JVC KDMX-3000R which is an in-dash single CD and MiniDisc player. It'll play CD's OR MD's in the same slot.

If you are never likely to be into MiniDisc then forget it, but I much prefer the format over CD because it's so damn small, near enough indestructable, and I can't tell the difference in sound quality over normal CD's.

The unit has RDS and other useful features, as well as some pretty useless features, it looks reasonably good and has an IR remote too.

It retails at £499 but I paid £385! from a good local car stereo retailer.

The one feature I particularly like is that it has direct track access for the first 12 tracks on either the MD or the CD, good because you don't have to keep scrolling through tracks!

You can also programme 3 bass/treble/fader/balance/loudness settings, which are then directly selectable through one button and are called rock,pop,soft etc.
Old 24 February 1999, 07:58 PM
Doug
Scooby Regular

I'm with you on this one Imran, MiniDisc is the future of ICE.

Take a look at the Sony MDXC8900R, you talk to it and it talks back, Cool!
Old 24 February 1999, 09:46 PM
yee_har
Scooby Regular

For all MD's good points I think DVD is the true future of ICE...look out next year!
Old 24 February 1999, 10:15 PM
sleightyswrx
Scooby Newbie

Forget DVD, mini disk and CD look out for the new MP3 players where you can store 35 hours of CD quality music on one standard DIN size player. For more info take a look at www.empeg.com. I'll be buying one of these cool machines as soon as they are released.
Ian....
Old 25 February 1999, 09:35 AM
J Whitfield
Scooby Regular

I personally wouldn't go for Minidisc as they use compression in order to store the same ammount of data as a CD.

There is a new Digital compatible Pioneer out which is around £500 (cheaper in mail order) this set has everything and In my experience Pioneer are the beast there is!
Old 25 February 1999, 02:05 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

On the subject of MP3 players. There is a portable unit from Diamond called RIO which is now available. With extra memory it will hold 1 hr of music. Perhaps this is the future for portable music - not withstanding legal issues. Okay it uses compression but I listen to mp3 music on my pc and Im quite happy with the quality, so it should suffice for portable or car fits.
Old 03 March 1999, 12:14 AM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

The Rio seems pretty basic to me; the Empeg seems a very good and well-priced bet if it lives up to its website blurb (which encouraged me to register for a set by the way!). Anyone know of any mags doing reviews on them?
Old 03 March 1999, 11:31 AM
howardb
Scooby Regular

I agree to some extent with what Tiggers wrote, vinyl is certainly best quality wise.

However, MP3 music is 'freely' available today. Search the web and you can download all sorts of music. You can make your own compilations by recording from cd's, tapes, records, radio etc. All you need is a multi-media PC and relevant software - free or extremely cheap.

Incidently, Maplin have started to sell the Rio - its in their latest catalogue.

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 16 January 2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03 March 1999, 12:03 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

To answer the original question - how about the Alpine CDA 7842R - this is a medium/top of range single CD/tuner from Alpine - one of the best manufacturers of in-car audio

It is suitably understated (unlike the Sonys and Kenwoods of this world) and has valuable features such as no stupid fold down flaps and a rotary volume control (those rocker switches are too damn fiddly). Basically the money has been spent on sound quality rather than silly gadgets (well up to a point anyway).

It officially retails for 500GBP, but I bought one mail order for 385GBP.

On the subject of MP3/MD etc. - these may be the future, but for at least the next 3-4 years CD will be very much in vogue so I wouldn't worry about these other formats too much just yet. Let's face it, how much prerecorded material can you buy for these formats at the moment - not a right lot.

Additionally they all use more compression than CD and I can certainly hear the difference between MD and CD. For the ultimate sound quality at the moment CD is king (well vinyl is actually better, but obviously not in your car) so a CD player makes sense.

Couple that to the fact that you can now buy very reasonably priced CD recorders (either for your PC or your hi-fi system) and you have an excellent all round format for mobile, in-car and domestic use.
Old 03 March 1999, 02:28 PM
AnthonyJ
Scooby Regular

Given how cheap Minidisc is becoming, I personally don't think MPEG is right for the car - especially the Rio.

With the newer 24bit ATRACs in the Minidisc players, I think you'll find it very hard to tell the difference between MD & CD but this is definitely not true with MP3s recorded at the rate that things like the Rio use.

I found an interesting article at http://www.fastgraphics.com/reviews/98/12/mp3/ which you might find useful. As a gadget freak, I like the idea of MP3 players, but with DVD audio looming, and MD growing in popularity, I think the only reason I might get one is for personal use.
Old 03 March 1999, 02:58 PM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm........Sorry Chris, I didn't mean to start a CD/MD/MPEG discussion, afterall this is a Scooby-Site!

However, I feel I must explain my choice, and it is just that, a CHOICE.

For someone with a PC at home, and web-access, I entirely agree that products such as the RIO Mpeg player are a gift from above, personally I don't have web-access at home, and as I work with computers all day, the last thing I want to do is turn on my machine at home. Also, £100 for a solid state disk that stores 60 minutes of music seems a little steep to me. I want to be able to record and store my music for months or years, I don't want to have to keep overwriting it because the format is so expensive.

As AnthonyJ states, the latest MD technology incorporates 24 bit processing with fifth or sixth generation ATRAC algorithms, these are highly refined and few people can REALLY tell the difference between an MD recorded on a recent recorder, and a current CD.

Also, MD's are dirt cheap now, you can buy good quality blanks (74min) for as little as £1.50 if you go to the right places. And good quality recorders for as little as £180.00

Contrary to popular belief, MD is not a replacement for the CD. It was intended as a recording medium, a replacement for the compact cassette. That's why so few pre-recorded titles are available, because if you want something pre-recorded then CD is the ultimate. Want to make a mix though, from all your favourite albums/genres then you can't touch MD. You can record, re-record, erase a track at the touch of a button, move a track at a touch of a button, cut a track etc etc. CD-R's allow you to record, but once only, and CDR-W's allow you to do both but at £15.00 each, and you have to have a CDR-W compatible player. MPEG does come into it's own here, because it's ultimately edittable and all the new music is available over the web, but the comression is nowhere near as good as MD 'IMHO'.

That's why I bought a MD/CD combo, CD for pre-recorded, MD for compilations and copies of expensive/rare CD's that I don't want to risk in the car.

Happy listening !
Old 03 March 1999, 03:43 PM
nigel
Scooby Regular

F**k my old boots.
Please, please take all this technology bollocks somewhere else.
Chris only wanted a cd player after all
Old 04 March 1999, 03:11 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

I've got an old 8 track which fits easily in the dash box???????????!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 March 1999, 05:07 PM
AnthonyJ
Scooby Regular

OK then, sorry about the techno-babble. I've got another question for you guys...

I've got a Pioneer head unit with a separate DSP so I need two DIN slots in my Scoobie. Is there any way to get the space neatly without the loss of air vents etc? Has anyone else done this? The DSP is only a couple of inches deep, but it is a full DIN size.

Sorry if there's a really obvious answer to this, but I haven't picked my car up yet so I haven't had the chance to have a really good root around. At first glance though, things didn't look good.

Any thoughts?
Old 05 March 1999, 11:00 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Gosh - some very cool muso freaks out there who drive Scoobis AND think vinyl is the mutts nuts. Could get heavy comparing turntables etc but I realise that fitting a Rock turntable and Naim amp into a Din slot would be quite a challenge - especially ineffective on bumpy roads.

Interesting in the STi the ADDZEST jukebox (as there is no better description) is a double decker din size unit. So I don't know what the UK car has below the ICE Din slot, but there should be some more space below it. Out with the hacksaw.

David