ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

How to remove door sill panels

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2002, 07:04 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Need to remove the door sill plastic panels to run my amp wires along.. haven't had chance to look and as by the time I finish work all week it is dark I thought I'd ask?

Cheers

JGM
Old 22 October 2002, 09:04 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

There are small lugs that pop up with the assistance of a small screwdriver under the tab of each one. Also, there are a couple of plugs/studs, depending on which panel you're looking at. Again, a screwdriver carefully used can prise these out.

Dead easy.
Old 22 October 2002, 09:23 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

As burr says... pop the square studs out. Keep 'em safe, and in my experience the last one always ends up rolling under the car, just behind the wheel

There are also one or two other lugs in the footwell.

When re-assembling, squeeze the retainers for the square plugs back together before trying to refit, as these things are fiddly when you're in a rush to get out of the garage and back into the warmth
Old 22 October 2002, 09:48 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Exactly, take off the 4 retainer clips if your car is a MY99, the one in the footwell and another one which is only visible if you open the door widely.

Underneath the sills is a milk-white rounded plastic that can be opened by gently pulling (no clips here so don't worry) which is actually made for running cables along. Also it seems that the carpet is glued to this white plaastic thingy.

The only shi**y part is to get the sills back in place as the flexible little bits (2 for each hole) have to go together in each one of the 4 holes, else you will find that the sill is not tight and slightly moves, if that's the case take it off again and start again. If your car is 4 door you can also remove the rear sill which is only held by 2 clips and then you also have to remove the B-pillar trim(where the seat belt goes into). Make sure no walls (garage etc..) are next to you as you have to open your doors widely, thus avoiding scratches in your paint...

Actually I know all that because I removed my old trunk mounted CD changer 1 hour ago and had the whole driver side trim removed to take the damn cable off.....
Old 23 October 2002, 09:34 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers guys..

Car is a MY96 Wagon but doubt it is much different

Sounds like I might have to do it one lunchtime or finish work earlier as finding that last clip under the back wheel in the dark would be a nightmare

JGM