ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

install advice needed please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2002, 12:48 AM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've decided to build my install with the sub and amp facing the back of the rear seats, as i need the boot space too much to warrant having the sub and amp facing into the boot. The sub will be in a sealed enclosure, with the front being part of a continuous panel that spans the width of the seats, sitting flush against the edges. finished in vinyl, perspex etc etc.

How is this going to affect the sub, considering that the back of the seats will also form an enclosure with the front of the sub? How much space should I leave between the seats and the sub for it to function properly and should i allow ventilation to the front of the panel?

Any ideas/thoughts/experience in this?

cheers
Old 06 October 2002, 03:37 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

My feeling would be that you need to ensure the "enclosure" in front of the subs would need to be about as big as the enclosure behind them. Other than that, I'm not sure, although it is an interesting idea.

The other benefit is that if you turn it up loud enough, you may be able to use the sub to fire people off the back seat and into the front of the car I'll leave it to your imagination as to how that could come in handy.
Old 06 October 2002, 08:53 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Si, yes, had experience of this.

Some subs actively LIKE such a configuration, as effectively you're almost building a bandpass config. Some hate it. You're front loading the speaker which can be a good thing - my infinity 120BRs in a ported box loved it, my pioneer TSW300 (or whatever) hated it.

Difficult. It might work brilliantly, it might give you a really pony response.
Old 06 October 2002, 09:37 PM
Si.t
Scooby Regular

Hmm, it seems like this is going to be trial and error, i think the best thing i can do to be assured of at least half decent bass is to make sure the enclosure is absolutley sealed. Really need to build it this way, though.
Old 08 October 2002, 03:27 PM
the chosen one
Scooby Regular

read the instructions on the back of the box that the bass box came in, it should say the required amount of air space u need also you could whack a few turbo ports it but the seats won't make any difference to the sound apart from the passengers mite have a bad back from afterwards
Old 08 October 2002, 03:30 PM
the chosen one
Scooby Regular

the best thing to do is to find out how much air space you need for the sub and to make a few holes and whack some turbo ports in it the only difference it will make to the sound is that the car will vibrate alot in the back the way u sort that out is with some sound proofing from halfords for 20 quid