Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

are all ICE connectors the same?

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2002, 08:26 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently awaiting my japanese double DIN unit (Panasonic CQ-VX7700D) and was wondering if connectors for speakers, power and antenna are the same in every car around the world??
I know that radio frequencies are not but that's not what I want to know.
If people can install UK units in their Impreza imports I suppose they are the same but just wanted a confirmation from someone who knows....

I'll post some pics when it's all done and again, if somebody with an UK car wants to install a souble DIN unit, it is possible. You just need 2 things from a japanese, Us or Aussie car..
Old 27 September 2002, 08:18 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Nobody? Chiark, you surely know that.....??
Old 29 September 2002, 09:43 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

No mate, sorry I don't know... I'd guess "no" as there's different subaru specific connectors on the MY01+, and a range of different connectors on stuff prior to that.

The GOOD news is that there's adaptors for practically everything to take you to ISO, which IS a standard for wiring harness on stereos.

Old 29 September 2002, 10:59 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chiark for the reply.

As I have absolutely no knowledge of these things, does that mean that the connectors that currently go in my old JVC unit were not there when the car was new and were put in place by the shop that installed the whole thing?

Ok, I'll ask my question differently, when looking at the backside of ANY head unit, be it JVC, Panasonic or Blaupunkt, you're saying the plugs are not always the same and I have to change the connecotr on my car?

Is this usually available at any car hifi shop?

Thanks for your help
Old 29 September 2002, 12:05 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

On the back of every head unit is a bit irrelevant, some'll have different shaped connectors, different pinouts etc. HOWEVER, the head unit itself (whether kenwood, alpine, blaupunkt, sony, jvc, pioneer, ...) should have a wiring harness that ends up with an ISO connector on the end.

There's two sockets on an ISO connector: one carries the power, one carries the speaker signals.

This will all be in the box that you buy.

What you may need additionally is a converter to take whatever wiring loom you've got in your car to ISO standard. My MY00 had one already fitted. Other models don't and need an adaptor from Autoleads, or someone like that. Car audio shops will be able to sell you the right adaptor.

If you're mail ordering from afar, I'd personally check that the unit that you're ordering does have ISO connectors on if that's at all possible. You may even find the model number out and find the manual is on-line for it.

Does this answer the question, or am I missing the question?

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 29 September 2002, 04:38 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Nick, you're a champ!!!

This answers my question. If everything is in the box, then there shouldn't be any problem. I was just worried because my unit is exclusively sold in Japan.

But it should be possible to install it anyway.