ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fitting sound deadening?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2002, 01:54 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right i've got a shed load of sound deadedning from the roadkill GB & am just looking 4 tips on best way 2 attach it mainly in the boot. My main query is like on the boot lid where it's sorta in squares & lines is it best 2 cut the sound deadening to the various different shapes & then stick extra bits so it's totally covered or just try & stick an entire pad on & shove it into the dip & troughs etc which wood strike me as being less than flat perfick finish Just wondered wot techniques u fine experianced peaps had used?
Any cunning plans 4 doing & or getting to side panels above rear wheel etc & hell any other tips wood b gr8fully received
Just wanted 2 do as much as possible b4 gettin all da goodies fitted next Saturday & thus remove need 2 have2 get sub etc out again just 2 stick sum deadening in, although also which bit wood i need 2 leave bear in order 4 'em 2 get all da wiring or wothave u thru?
Si
PS just about last question (can but hope)
Old 15 September 2002, 04:32 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

In my experience, you don't need to fully cover a panel to deaden it - for the boot lid, I put bits in between the criss-cross thingies...
Old 15 September 2002, 08:40 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Not played with boots, but in doors I have always fitted it to the flat bits only - i.e between the cross braces in this case. My theory is that the bits which have pre-formed creases, welds etc aren't going to flex about and resonate like a flat panel anyway, so put the sound deadening where it makes the most difference.

Admittedly I sometimes go to excess, and cover everything I can see that is flat.
Old 16 September 2002, 08:42 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I'd prolly just go for the flat bits too

I'd also recomend heating the pad up with a hot air gun, it makes it stick better and also makes it more flexible.

Doing the roof made the biggest difference to my Fiesta btw

Bob
Old 16 September 2002, 09:30 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

The roof now that is a new un looks like i will try & do da flat bits then & c wot else may want doin during install this Sat do ya reckon it'd look strange taking a hair dryer lol.
Si
Old 17 September 2002, 11:36 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Roof should be a seriously good place to stick the stuff - biggest unsupported sheet of metal in the car! But a big enough £"$%&£%&£" to get at that I haven't bothered even trying... waiting for someone else to try first . Easier & more effective to just change the exhaust manifold . Has some good side effects as well