Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Infinity Amp Interference

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2002, 05:03 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, upgraded from a Kenwood amp to an Infinity 6 channel 800w jobby and now I have interference from the alternator, someone today tells me Infinity amps are known for this.
Tried a 60amp suppresor between battery and alternator, but no luck.

Any help muchly appreciated

Also, I have Infinity components all round, front right woofy is dead, when I was p1ssing about trying to work out what speaker cables went to what side etc I used a 9volt battery across the speaker wires, could this have damaged it ? I've used this method for yonks tho.

Cheers in advance
Old 24 July 2002, 07:56 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Big Goon,

I'd look accusingly at the RCA leads first. Check they're not routed next to the fuel pump lines, or any electrical lines. Does the noise rise and fall with the engine?

Re: battery. That won't kill a speaker. You're just clicking it, right? Replace the cables and my guess is that it'll work. Either that, you you've grounded one of the terminals...

Nick.
Old 24 July 2002, 10:43 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Good idea, think I'll run another set of RCA's direct from headunit to amp, altho the kenny amp was fine 20 mins earlier.

Dead woofy could be sommit simple like a connector hanging off the speaker I spose.

Think I'll make double sure I didn't catch or screw into any of the wires when installing new amp.

The place that installed the original ice cut all the wires exactly down to size, its a right bast trying to move anything, ffs should always leave slack hidden behind the scenes surely ?

Thanks m8
Old 25 July 2002, 06:09 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Chiark, noticed today that my radio reception has suddenly gone crap too, you think maybe I have nipped a speaker wire down to ground or sommit ?

Day off 2morrow so will get it sorted then hopefully.
Old 26 July 2002, 10:09 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Radio reception gone crap? What model year car are you in?

Old 26 July 2002, 04:11 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Lo m8, its a month old STi7, just seen the other post about amp/arial wire in iso block, so that may cure the radio reception.

The dead woofy was a wire off the speaker, get it fitted by a pro company, then end up doing it yourself
also crossover just left dangling behind door panel [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Cured about 60% of the alternator noise with a black box that you put your rca leads into then plug rca's from black box into amp, (line interference filter) or something like that.

Gonna rip out headunit in a min and sort radio and double check all the grounds are coolio.

Its back into the shop next friday cos the Clifford prox thingy aint working, I'll get them to sort out the buzz at same time if I cant cure it,

Cheers,

Shane. (Goon)
Old 26 July 2002, 04:20 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the STI definitely needs the connection making. Can't find a thread relating to it at the mo, which annoys me.
Old 26 July 2002, 06:11 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Not sure which coloured wire on the original Jap loom to link on to, looks like maybe a white one, but theres already a blue lead from iso going there, and the blue wire from iso is going to the Kenny head unit amp wire.
Old 30 July 2002, 07:22 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

I *think* it may have been the way the RCA's were routed past the metal shield on the ECU, took them via a different route and all seems ok again, will go for a longer run 2morrow and find out.
Old 31 July 2002, 02:45 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

FFS ! its the aircon thats doing it, switch it off and it sounds fine [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 31 July 2002, 03:00 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

...don't use the aircon

I've noticed the aircon inducing noise. Seems pretty random. Plus there's lots going on in the ECU. I don't think EMI shielding was high, or even anywhere, on Subaru's list...