ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

STI 2016 usb confusion!

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2020, 09:40 PM
timjohnson
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default STI 2016 usb confusion!

Hey guys i got a 2016 STI with the 7' touch screen stereo (FV361M) when i load my usb stick in it only reads folders in long list, on my pc they are organised by artist-album-tracks etc in sub-folders, does anyone know if this is the only way the stereo reads folders? my Kenwood didn't and recognised all sub folders etc.

and any suggestions to scrap the subaru one and get a double din with sat nav that is compatible with the steering wheel controls???? cheers!
Old 22 December 2020, 10:15 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Have you read your Owners Manual for info on how USB storage devices are treated??
Old 22 December 2020, 10:19 PM
timjohnson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Have you read your Owners Manual for info on how USB storage devices are treated??
Hi yeh i looked and it's not much help! Just says the limit of folders and files but not how to structure them
Old 23 December 2020, 10:35 AM
jpmilling
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Tim,

I have the 2016 Sti and think the standard stereo is pretty trash if I'm honest. Sound quality is awful too. I never used it with a USB device so cannot advise on that but I did upgraded to a pioneer double din.

I purchased all the items from www.caraudiodirect.co.uk. received good service from them and decent to speak with on the phone also. I had to return one item which I did not need and refund was issued without issue.

like you I wanted to retain steering wheel controls and I have also managed to retain the factory USB's under the heater controls.

Only thing I struggled with was retaining the factory DAB radio antenna. I bought one that sticks to the windscreen in the end but find it's not as good as the factory one and struggle to get kiss and kisstory now. I'll look into trying to sort this in the future but will leave it for now as it's not the end of the world.

I bought the following...….

connects 2 CTSUBARU USB .2 OEM. This allows you to retain your USB's under the heater controls.
Pioneer AVH-Z5200 DAB 6.8" mine does not have sat nav but they have plenty that do.
Connects 2 CTKSU02 Subaru double din stereo kit. This gives you a piano black new stereo surround for double din fitment (looks much better than stock) and also comes with the patch lead for the steering wheel etc. (you just need to tell them stereo model you are buying)
connects 2 CT27UV70 DAB Digital Antenna

All in it was about £600 delivered and I am so glad I replaced the original. looks 10x better and I have all the features I could ever need. now more Jazz, Pop or Rock crap. You notice the standard speakers come alive more.

If you do go this route there are some good video's on youtube showing you how to remove the standard unit. You do have to remove to awkward bolts but the rest is fairly straight forward. If you do get stuck send me a message

Thanks

JP

Old 23 December 2020, 10:40 AM
timjohnson
Scooby Regular

That's awesome thanks for all that, I've been looking into getting rid of the scooby one anyway, never keep it standard! But a fan of kenwood i think I'll speak to them as used them before too :-) literally only just bought the car so will be in new yr but get in touch if need any advice cheers!
Old 23 December 2020, 10:54 AM
jpmilling
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem, hope you are enjoying the car. I had a Blob 03 STI about 10 years ago and always regretted having to part with it. Had my 2016 about 2 years now and love it, just need and unrestricted summer next year to enjoy it a bit more.

Old 23 December 2020, 11:00 AM
timjohnson
Scooby Regular

Yeh I had my bugeye for nearly 16 years! just clocked 183,000 (same turbo!) and a classic before that but this is a whole different kettle of fish! It's insanely quick, got a Mishimoto induction kit and Milltek exhaust but so rapid!
The following users liked this post:
Old 16 January 2021, 04:46 PM
timjohnson
Scooby Regular

The following users liked this post: