Notices
Group Buys Post your Group Buy and subscribe to existing group buys here!

Snooper S3, S4 or Road Angel 2 - Discount Prices

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2005, 01:18 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snooper S3, S4 or Road Angel 2 - Discount Prices

Hi all

I've come back over from Briskoda.net to extend the offer of a Group Buy to you.

I have sourced what I think to be a great deal on these products. They will be supplied by a VAT registered authorised dealer (Subaru Main Dealer). Payment is made directly to the supplier so no messing around with money.

Snooper S3 - £90.00 Delivered Special Delivery Next Day. (Normal Retail £142.99 + Shipping)

Snooper S4 - £225.00 Delivered Special Delivery Next Day. (Normal Retail £322.99 + Shipping)

Read about them here - http://www.snooper.co.uk/which-radar-detector.htm#gps

Road Angel 2 - £320 Delivered Special Delivery Next Day. (Normal Retail £399.99 + Shipping)

Read about it here - http://www.blackspot.com/

These all include the normal 6 month subscription and are new not refurbished units.

I'm sure you'll agree these are fantastic prices.

I'll leave this open for a week and see how we get on.

Any questions please ask.

As usual, interested and commited names below please.

There is no minimum order, just add your name to the list and PM or email me your name and requirements and I'll forward them to the Supplier and then you can phone up and pay at your leisure.

This is non profit making, and I'm not selling them - Just bringing interested buyers together.

Thanks.

Stu..
Old 22 March 2005, 01:43 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Sounds pretty good to me, I think I may be interested in a Road Angel, but I will have to check my bank balance over the next few days.

I may have some expensive Subaru related bills in the next few days, so I will have to see how they go first
Old 22 March 2005, 01:47 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Don't even go there with expensive Subaru Bills!!

Thats one of the reasons I sold mine and even then it didn't stop cause nobody wants to buy them I lost a packet on that too!!
Old 24 March 2005, 01:02 PM
eclipse
Scooby Regular

Will be interested in 2 or 3 road angels.
Old 24 March 2005, 04:12 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

No problem mate. PM me your details and I'll get the Guy to give you a call.
Old 25 March 2005, 08:59 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Hi, I'm after a road angel 2.

I have PM'd you.
Old 25 March 2005, 09:21 AM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Details passed - Let us know how you get on.
Old 25 March 2005, 09:59 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Road angel 2 is now £330 in argos!

Halfords will match this

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_...type=0&cat=262

Last edited by Mitchy260; 25 March 2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 25 March 2005, 10:25 AM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Blimey Thats good.

Is that an easter special?
Old 25 March 2005, 10:36 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Yer man is £320.

However its UK mainland only.
Old 25 March 2005, 10:39 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

£320/£330.....Not really much of a difference.

If you wanted a road angel today, then i'd pay the £330 from argos/halfords
Old 25 March 2005, 11:33 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just a thought people. You can buy a pocket GPS system from GPSworld for around £300. Something along the lines of the Mitac Mio is a good system, and you can get a speed camera database that can be loaded into this.

It is not meant to be as good as the Road Angel, but the SatNav element is very good, and it is totally discreet in terms of the speed trap detection
Old 26 March 2005, 10:43 AM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

wish i had the cash now to buy a road angel....
Old 26 March 2005, 12:50 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

My missus runs an Ipaq with TomTom and the speed camera overlay. It is good for a free add on but I don't think it's 100% accurate. It's not funded and only updated by other users. You also don't get any advance warning of mobile sites. She uses a Snooper as well.

My dad just bought one of those Mitac ones and it's excellent. PC World have a Garmin one for £350 ish too.

The postcode add on is good, but has now been taken down for copywrite reasons. If you can still find it or know someone that has it (:-]) then go for it.

Originally Posted by Luminous
Just a thought people. You can buy a pocket GPS system from GPSworld for around £300. Something along the lines of the Mitac Mio is a good system, and you can get a speed camera database that can be loaded into this.

It is not meant to be as good as the Road Angel, but the SatNav element is very good, and it is totally discreet in terms of the speed trap detection
Old 26 March 2005, 03:08 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I hadn't realised that the postcode addin has been taken down. That was one of the best things about it. Who wants SatNav without a full postcode search facility!! I cannot believe that someone has not been able to release one properly!
Old 26 March 2005, 04:05 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I hadn't realised that the postcode addin has been taken down. That was one of the best things about it. Who wants SatNav without a full postcode search facility!! I cannot believe that someone has not been able to release one properly!

Yeah the OS got involved. If you go to the site there is an explanation.
Old 27 March 2005, 12:03 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Stu the more people you get, the bigger discount you will get.

Evo guys had 32 people with Road Angel 2 on the group buy and blackspot supplied at £288inc vat and delivery
Old 27 March 2005, 12:26 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Now that is a price that I would be interested in. Anything more than £300 does not seem to be that great a deal atm...but that is just imho.
Old 27 March 2005, 03:28 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

All these will be illegal in September, you will need a firmware update to disable the laser alert. Better off with a classic road angel our cyclops.

Dipster
Old 27 March 2005, 03:31 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I can cope with the firmware update, of course, I may choose not to update
Old 27 March 2005, 03:41 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I read somewhere that the penalty will be 3 points and a fixed fine, if they stop you with any laser or radar detecting equiptment.
GPS only is the only legal way.

Dipster
Old 28 March 2005, 05:18 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
All these will be illegal in September, you will need a firmware update to disable the laser alert. Better off with a classic road angel our cyclops.

Dipster
Apparently the Road Angel 2 wont be illegal from September as its based on downloading camera sites based on GPS and apparently this is different?!
Old 28 March 2005, 05:39 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by M0NEY
Apparently the Road Angel 2 wont be illegal from September as its based on downloading camera sites based on GPS and apparently this is different?!
It will be illegal m8, I've spoken to the makers.
A get round will be a firmware update to disable the laser detector, thus making it legal.

Dipster
Old 28 March 2005, 06:22 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M0NEY
Stu the more people you get, the bigger discount you will get.

Evo guys had 32 people with Road Angel 2 on the group buy and blackspot supplied at £288inc vat and delivery

I've not contacted Blackspot for pricing. I'm already sorted now, and just passing on details for other interested parties.

As for being illegal -

Detectors were illegal for years - didn't stop us using them just made them more expensive!!

Laser Jammers are what they're really after, they've modded the camera SW to take the picture of all cars that cause an error, they then 'flag' it on the database, too many flags and you get a visit.

If you get a Firmware update from Blackspot then so what - your detector has been made legal. If the update is optional then great, cause the rozzers won't know if yours has been flashed or not.
Old 30 March 2005, 09:21 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

I spoken to Ian today about the Halfords/Argos offer and have persuaded him to reduce the RA2 price to £315 Delivered.
Old 05 April 2005, 03:12 PM
eclipse
Scooby Regular

Thanks got mine
Old 08 April 2005, 01:33 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eclipse
Thanks got mine
Good, I hope all is well.
Old 23 April 2005, 02:37 PM
Matt R
Scooby Regular

I can supply them for £300 including delivery!
Old 23 April 2005, 03:45 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Default On the question of legality:

From the Blackspot Website:

Press Release
Apr 2005
Road Angel Legality Confirmed Update ..

The well publicised “Road Safety Bill” has been dropped for 2005, as parliament has now been dissolved for the general election, leaving all unread bills rejected. This bill was dropped on the 11th April 2005 as shown on the following site; http://www.politics.co.uk/legislationitempage.aspx?menuindex=430010609&itemi d=7197862

So where does that leave us now ?
Road Angel remains totally unchanged and 100% legal
With a possible change of government in the general election, the bill may or may not re-surface in 2006 when Parliament reconvenes and again may or may not be heard or progressed even if it does. Even if the bill is progressed in 2006, the process then starts to debate publicly and privately what technologies they intend to ban, with that process expected to take a further 12 months. If agreed, it would then take a further 6 months to become law, so the Department for Transport would not implement any such changes until late 2007, if at all.

What did the “Road safety Bill” aim to achieve before being dropped ?
The primary focus of the bill was to ban Laser Jammers, as these units prevent the police getting a speed on your vehicle. This is not part of the Road Angel product. They also intend to ban Radar detectors, again very different to the Road Angel product. Radar detectors were proposed for a ban as they can determine which cameras are live and which are not, effectively allowing the user to speed through inactive cameras, working against the reason for having the safety camera installed at that location, “Reducing Speed”. In this scenario, Road Angel will remain unchanged and fully legal in it’s current format as it does not include either of these functions.
If in the future, passive laser detection was banned, which some models of Road Angel includes, All Road Angel products remain 100% legal, but may require minor adjustments. Classic Road Angel would require the laser alert to be disconnected from the unit, making the Road Angel 100% legal. On the New Road Angel, the laser alert is integrated, but can be disabled on the unit by the owner, a firmware upgrade can be sent via e-mail to remove that functionality, again making the unit 100% legal.

Today, no action is required as Laser Alert is 100% legal
GPS Camera locators like Road Angel were not under review in the 2005 bill and this was confirmed in writing from the Department for Transport. The government fully understands and accepts the safety benefits of GPS based safety alert systems, as documented in the dropped Road Safety Bill. Products like Road Angel warns of areas of danger advising user to reduce speed and be aware of potential danger, which supports perfectly what safety camera aim to achieve.

Press Release
Jan 2005
Road Angel Legality Confirmed ..
This is a question we are being asked a lot at the moment by our customers, driven mainly by press surrounding the proposed “Road Safety Bill” for Parliament.

The reality is that the bill may not get heard in the short term due to higher priorities amongst the 100 or so bills proposed for hearing this Spring. The current parliamentary activity which has been poorly documented in the press, is the first phase to decide if the bill will be progressed. If the bill is progressed, the process then starts to debate publicly and privately what they will and won’t ban, expected to take around 12 months. If that is agreed, it takes 6 months to become law, so the Department for Transport have confirmed in writing that the earliest any change could take effect is the second half of 2006, if at all.

The primary focus is to ban Laser Jammers, as these units prevent the police getting a speed on your vehicle. This is not part of the Road Angel product. They also intend to ban Radar detectors, which are again very different to the Road Angel product. Radar detectors are proposed for banning as they can determine which cameras are live and which are not, effectively allowing the user to speed through inactive cameras, working against the reason for having the camera installed at that location, “Reducing Speed”. In this scenario, Road Angel will remain unchanged and fully legal in it’s current format as it does not include either of these functions.

Secondly, but less likely, they could ban the use of passive laser detection, which the Road Angel does have, but without going into too much detail, this maybe very complicated to ban. If the bill does ban laser detection, Classic Road Angel (The black unit) will require the laser alert golf ball to be disconnected from the unit, making the Road Angel 100% legal. On the New Road Angel, the laser alert is integrated, but can be disabled on the unit by the owner, without intervention from ourselves. If the customer wants a more permanent fix, we can send a firmware upgrade via e-mail to remove that functionality, again making the unit 100% legal.

GPS Camera locators are not under review in the proposed bill and we have written evidence from the Department for Transport to that effect. The Government understand and fully accept the safety benefits of GPS based safety systems. Products like Road Angel warn of danger areas, advising users to reduce speed and be aware of the potential hazard ahead, supporting perfectly what safety cameras aim to achieve.

The upshot is Road Angel IS legal now and would be EVEN IF THE ROAD SAFETY BILL HAD BECOME LAW. Road Angel is a GPS alert system with optional LASER (NOT RADAR) detector. The use of Radar detectors and jammers was proposed to be outlawed. Therefore, even if the bill comes back to life after the election, Road Angel will still be legal. If however at some point in the future Laser Detectors were banned THEN the firmware is upgraded to disable the Laser detection.

Snoopers however are Radar Detectors and those, while legal now, would be illegal if the Rad Safety Bill becomes law, but that is likely to be in 2007.

If I have misinterpreted, happy to be corrected, but it seems the biggest threat to your licence is mobile Laser (i.e the Vans) so Road ANgel is still a good, safe bet.

So please put me down for one
Old 23 April 2005, 04:49 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bu99er - just seen the dates