Notices
Group Buys Post your Group Buy and subscribe to existing group buys here!

WRX STi Classic wagon rear spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2004, 01:34 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX STi Classic wagon rear spoilers

I have been speaking to Simon from STi Racing and have discussed a possible group buy on WRX STi rear spoilers for the classic shape wagons.

According to Simon, these spoilers are not just your ordinary stick on ones and definitely have to be bolted on. The material is not fiber glass but fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP - the real durable stuff).

These sound like the nearest we can get to the genuine article for a fraction of the price and I am sure many of you wagon owners out there will also be interested, they certainly make the car look less of a family/estate car and more or a sports car.

This group buy will be for both the large roof spoiler and the slight larger / squarer waist spoilers, see links to pictures to see what I mean:

Prices are as follows:
1. 1-5 pcs: £120 (roof spoiler) / £128 (waist spoiler)
2. 6-10pcs: £113 (roof spoiler) / £120 (waist spoiler)
3. 11pcs and over: £105 (roof spoiler) / £110 (waist spoiler)

The discount based on quantity can be made up of either spoiler type, i.e. a roof spoiler and a waist spoiler count as 2pcs, so we don't need to get many people to join to get significant savings. For comparison the roof spoiler usually retail at £140.

The spoilers come in undercoat ready for painting and can will be made to order in about 2 days depending on quantities, delivery will take an additional 7 days from Hong Kong.

Prices quoted include delivery to individual addresses. Based on Simons' experience (who has sent many of these parts out to the UK) these have so far not been taxed due to method I send under and the description placed on the packages, the price you see is the price you pay.

If you are interested please add your name to the list below so we can gauge interest.

1) Speedydaveb - roof spoiler and waist spoiler
Old 25 August 2004, 01:49 PM
Jimmy Dell
Scooby Regular

Cool

2) Jimmy Dell - roof and waist spoiler
Old 25 August 2004, 02:07 PM
WagonRich
Scooby Regular

3) WagonRich - roof and waist spoiler
Old 25 August 2004, 03:00 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

ya swines, can't you wait a till the end of october, I'm spent up for the time being and really want STI rear spoilers

James
Old 25 August 2004, 09:05 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

4) Vulnax - Roof and Waist spoilers

Do these come with own brackets / fixings or use original ones? My original ones have the plastic coming off though

Do they come with templates for drilling holes for lower spoiler , my jap WRX MY94 has no lower spoiler at present so need fittings and preferable template!

Neil
Old 25 August 2004, 09:06 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by little_idiot
ya swines, can't you wait a till the end of october, I'm spent up for the time being and really want STI rear spoilers

James

I am sure if you put your name down they could save you a pair ???
Old 26 August 2004, 07:36 AM
Jimmy Dell
Scooby Regular

Top.
Old 26 August 2004, 01:24 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Do these come with own brackets / fixings or use original ones? My original ones have the plastic coming off though

Do they come with templates for drilling holes for lower spoiler , my jap WRX MY94 has no lower spoiler at present so need fittings and preferable template!

Neil
I have just sent your questions on to Simon who should reply in the next day or two.

I would have thought that the brackets are a main dealer only part and I'll send you a template off mine if Simon hasn't got one to hand. Give me your address nearer the time.
Old 26 August 2004, 02:43 PM
---=CeeDee=---
Scooby Regular

4) Vulnax - Roof and Waist spoilers
5) CeeDee - Waist spoiler only (since i already have a roof spoiler)

btw. It would be nice if we can organise group buy for wagon sti rear lights too...

btw2. since i'm not from uk how does it work for me than (and any1 else for that matter) regarding money/s&h/etc ?

Last edited by ---=CeeDee=---; 26 August 2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 26 August 2004, 07:08 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ---=CeeDee=---
btw. It would be nice if we can organise group buy for wagon sti rear lights too...
I asked Simon this already and he says that they only have the saloon ones which are a different shape.

Originally Posted by ---=CeeDee=---
btw2. since i'm not from uk how does it work for me than (and any1 else for that matter) regarding money/s&h/etc ?
Where abouts are you from then?

For people who want to make transfers into a UK bank account, details of STi Racing's Barclays account will be provided. Paypal can also be used, though an extra 4% will be added to the price to cover the Paypal handling charge on top of the final purchase price (Paypal deduct this as handling for a company outside the USA).
Old 26 August 2004, 11:26 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

speedydaveb
Not in a position to take advantage of this GB at the moment or should i say not for some time but thanx for the PM drawing my attention to it

When you get them don't forget to put the pics up and let us know what they are like

Simon
Old 27 August 2004, 12:28 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by speedydaveb

I would have thought that the brackets are a main dealer only part and I'll send you a template off mine if Simon hasn't got one to hand. Give me your address nearer the time.
Still interested Speedy!

I wondered if the fittings were moulded into the spoiler, or if we were meant to re-use the old fittings, as I said, I haven't got a lower spoiler to pinch the fittings from! So would need some, but would prefer them to be with the spoiler on manufacture so i can be sure they fit! Top small spoiler is the one with poor fittings that I could re-use at a push .. I'll persue the dealer option I think.

Dealt with Simon before, good guy, he will help if he can!

Cheers

Neil
Old 27 August 2004, 09:17 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Dont want to hijack this thread.
But i've already got one of these roof spoilers sitting in my office that i bought from Simon.

It's up for sale as i'm selling my car.
Has never been fitted or painted.

Want £100 delivered if anyone wants to beat the queue.

I can confirm that they are top quality.
Old 27 August 2004, 02:59 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny50
Dont want to hijack this thread.
But i've already got one of these roof spoilers sitting in my office that i bought from Simon...
Cheek! That's the kind of tactics I would use!!

Can you at least post a pic up of it please. ta.

I have just had another email from Simon about the fixing of these spoilers:

New update, contrary to my previous email, the waist spoiler is glued and not stuck on as I had previously been informed. The resin used is very strong (supplied with the spoiler). The roof spoiler has a protruding bolt and is secured by tightening the nut so drilling to fix the spoiler is quite necessary. Sorry for this revised information but I only got the info just now so better to inform you now than late into the group buy.

He is willing for someone to try the waist spoiler (me possibly?) and then give the rest of the group feedback as the factory has told me that once the spoiler is stuck, it will remain very very secure.

On another point, Simon says that he can get the Wagon STI lights, and has knocked out a deal today for the Subaru Original parts - he says the price is a good one!!!
Old 27 August 2004, 03:42 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Mine has just been claimed.
But i'll get some pics put up to let you guys see how it looks when it arrives.

I'll warn you all now though...Simon uses about 3 miles of tape and bubble wrap...
You'll need a few days to get it unwrapped.
Old 28 August 2004, 12:30 AM
---=CeeDee=---
Scooby Regular

I asked Simon this already and he says that they only have the saloon ones which are a different shape.
Well...i see he managed to get some deal on them...so i'm interested in those too...

Where abouts are you from then?
Zagreb / Croatia

For people who want to make transfers into a UK bank account,
Credit Cards ? Wire transfer ?

Anyway...i'm interested in waist spoiler and rear sti wagon lights...i'm going on vacation for next two weeks and will be away from computer but i'm 100% in...
Old 28 August 2004, 07:59 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Glued on?

Be careful guys, as people will use the bottom spoiler as a picnic table!!!!!

I'd feel much safer if it was bolted on like nature intended!
Old 28 August 2004, 08:03 AM
Jimmy Dell
Scooby Regular

New update, contrary to my previous email, the waist spoiler is glued and not stuck on as I had previously been informed. The resin used is very strong (supplied with the spoiler). The roof spoiler has a protruding bolt and is secured by tightening the nut so drilling to fix the spoiler is quite necessary. Sorry for this revised information but I only got the info just now so better to inform you now than late into the group buy.

He is willing for someone to try the waist spoiler (me possibly?) and then give the rest of the group feedback as the factory has told me that once the spoiler is stuck, it will remain very very secure.
Seeing as the waist spoiler has to be stuck on, I'll be withdrawing my interest from that and also for the roof spoiler as well. Reason being I already have a replica roof one from another source on the car, but was quite happy to order another on the basis of getting a larger order and thus more discount, plus I've never been totally happy with the quality of my current one.

However, I don't want another replica roof spoiler on it's own so I shall have to gracefully withdraw from the group buy.

Sorry about that.

[typed before BuRR posted ]
Old 28 August 2004, 08:06 AM
Jimmy Dell
Scooby Regular

Cool

Revised list.

2) WagonRich - roof and waist spoiler
3) Vulnax - Roof and Waist spoilers
4) CeeDee - Waist spoiler only (since i already have a roof spoiler)
Old 28 August 2004, 01:33 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Hmm not sure about drilling top of boot lid - what stops water ingress and rusting? Why not get them made with OEM fixings?

And a template to drill or lower spoiler, and some sealant would be better?

And how secure would the glued on waist spoiler be?

Ta

Neil
Old 28 August 2004, 04:29 PM
WagonRich
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna have to pull out if they need gluing and drilling. Do the genuine STI ones use the same mounts as the WRX spoilers?

Rich
Old 29 August 2004, 02:24 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Yes, they use exactly the same mountings
Old 29 August 2004, 05:39 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

On another point, Simon says that he can get the Wagon STI lights, and has knocked out a deal today for the Subaru Original parts - he says the price is a good one!!!

Any news on the lights?

cheers
Old 29 August 2004, 06:41 PM
willy
Scooby Regular

yes lights for my wagon too...
I aint paying £400... or anywhere near...
Old 30 August 2004, 03:45 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Re-revised list:

2) Vulnax - Roof and Waist spoilers
3) CeeDee - Waist spoiler only (since i already have a roof spoiler)

It's a shame the spoilers don't use original mounting points, I was under the impression they did and would have preferred if this was the case.
All the non-genuine spoilers do not use the original fixings, and the cheapest I have seen others are £125 for the roof spoiler and I am not aware of anyone that does the larger waist spoiler. Basically I still think this is a good offer, we know these will be of high quality and they are made of the right stuff and the price is still the cheapest.
If you want to use the genuine fixing points, you will need to buy the genuine articles, just don't expect much change from £1000!! I have heard someone paid £260 for a pair of 2nd hand spoilers, though it took a couple of years of searching till they were found!!

No news from Simon yet on the rear lights, as soon as he gives me details I will post them on this thread.
Old 30 August 2004, 04:20 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Mine cost me £300, and I had to drive 300 miles to pick them up, as the previous owner wouldn't post them. I then had to get them painted.

They originally cost over £1000 PLUS VAT to buy from Subaru (mine were the UK WR Sport type)

These seem very good value to me, but I'd want to make sure they bond on correctly. is there no way you can fix some kind of bolts to them?
Old 30 August 2004, 04:40 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BuRR
These seem very good value to me, but I'd want to make sure they bond on correctly. is there no way you can fix some kind of bolts to them?
I'll ask the question.

FAO ---=CeeDee=---, Simon says that delivery to Croatia is fine and that Wire Transfer is accepted but all bank handling charges to be paid for by the buyer (not sure what this is for Croatia but in the UK it's about £20-£30 but best to go through HSBC if he banks with them as this is where my account is held with). I have also PM'd this to you.

Information will be provided later tonight or tomorrow on the lights, but it is a one time offer and you will probably not get another opportunity like this to get brand new original Subaru STI lights anymore if you do not take this opportunity. Take a look at this picture as an appetizer :
Old 30 August 2004, 05:50 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

May be interested in a roof spoiler, but am a bit unclear about the fittings. Surely you can't drill through the rear screen, so how are they mounted if they don't use the same stuck on bracket things the OE ones use?

Old 30 August 2004, 06:39 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Those pictures are saloon STi rears. Wagon lights are different.
Old 30 August 2004, 08:21 PM
WagonRich
Scooby Regular

Somthing more like this (gloat mode)

Rich

Quick Reply: WRX STi Classic wagon rear spoilers