Doing engine service

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2014, 08:31 PM
martinnitram
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing engine service

Im getting ready to do an engine service on my 99 turbo 2000
Been reading up on whats likely to want changing.

Car has a very good service history at RCM but was last serviced on record in Jan 13, at 104 k miles and belt serviced at 98 k miles car now has 115 k

Its had its last belt service in Jan 2012 which included a belt kit at £325, any ideas what this would have consisted of?

No mention of an oil pump, crank seal or water pump anywhere though.
Whats thoughts on the oil pump and crank seal, obviously this would involve a new timing belt while doing this.
Going to replace gearbox oil while im doing it, anything else worth doing ?

Cheers
Old 12 March 2014, 08:39 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martinnitram
Im getting ready to do an engine service on my 99 turbo 2000
Been reading up on whats likely to want changing.

Car has a very good service history at RCM but was last serviced on record in Jan 13, at 104 k miles and belt serviced at 98 k miles car now has 115 k

Its had its last belt service in Jan 2012 which included a belt kit at £325, any ideas what this would have consisted of?

No mention of an oil pump, crank seal or water pump anywhere though.
Whats thoughts on the oil pump and crank seal, obviously this would involve a new timing belt while doing this.
Going to replace gearbox oil while im doing it, anything else worth doing ?

Cheers
Oil
Oil filter and washer
Transmission oil and rear diff new washer for gearbox maybe
Air filter
Fuel filter
Plugs
Brake and clutch fluid
Coolant

They are the basics, depending on how recent things have been done.

A belt kit could have consisted of the various pulleys and tensioner.

Shame the water pump wasn't done when the belt was. The oil pump.... not really a service item. Yes they can go wrong but so can every component.

MAF is treated like a service item by many.

Check tyres, brake discs and pads and handbrake travel. Lube the locks, gear linkage and steering UJ. Also check the Aux belt to see if its cracked at all... That's all I can think of right now.
Old 12 March 2014, 09:08 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Wish I'd done my waterpump at the last cambelt change (or the one before...). Mine went at 148k, but they have a clever indicator when the bearings go - they p*** out all the coolant within 2 miles... No real problem to replace, but definitely worth doing at that age and mileage, especially as they're not expensive.
Old 12 March 2014, 10:50 PM
martinnitram
Scooby Regular

so sounds like pulleys were done at last belt change 17k & 2 years ago.

Think im going to do the oil pump and water pump then, i can make a list of the other bits from your list FMJ.

Just replaced all 4 tyres, brakes are still good, but will probably upgrade these when ready, but thats a thread for another day.
Its mainly engine parts and transmission fluids.

Any preference on here for brand of oil and water pump?
Old 13 March 2014, 12:50 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martinnitram
so sounds like pulleys were done at last belt change 17k & 2 years ago.

Think im going to do the oil pump and water pump then, i can make a list of the other bits from your list FMJ.

Just replaced all 4 tyres, brakes are still good, but will probably upgrade these when ready, but thats a thread for another day.
Its mainly engine parts and transmission fluids.

Any preference on here for brand of oil and water pump?
Water pumps wise my OE one lasted about 8 years and was still fine when i pulled it out. I know have a generic one which has also been fine for about 4 years. Go to Import car parts and you will find one for about £60.

Oil pumps tend to be OE ones and you can get modified ones on import car parts, rcm etc. The higher flow the more they cost. But more flow isn't always needed or better. I have never changed an oil pump but while you are at it I would get a new crank pulley and woodruf key as I have heard these can be quite worn... You will need proper sealent too for the oil pump fitting.

Make sure not to over tighten the pump bolts. They are small and into alloy so anything more then a light amount of tightening and you will strip them. I would use a low torque range torque wrench to be sure. It all adds up...

I forgot to mention power steering fluid. It has probably never been changed and it's not too dear. May as well do it while you are there then its all good.

After that its looking at bushes and corrosion lol... with older cars the list is never ending if you really want to look after it.

Oh and if you are doing all that a thermostat is a good idea. You can do it while you do the water pump and they arn't dear. Get a proper subaru one not a cheapo one.

Last edited by FMJ; 13 March 2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 13 March 2014, 08:14 PM
martinnitram
Scooby Regular

Good info.

Plenty there to go on with, to be fair to the car she's not bad, obviously been loved before i got her as i can tell from all the history that came with it.

Been underneath at MOT time and all bushes look fine, a few scabs starting underneath but nothing that can't be caught, ARB droplinks done, discs and red stuff pads done although calipers are due rebuild or replacement and a few other nik naks.

True what you say about never ending lists, this isn't the only old heap in my garage so im well used to wallet pain.

Cheers