Notices

induction kits?

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2002, 11:03 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wondered if anyone had any views between the range of kits available,57i,ramair or pipercross.Also heard gossip that as they bolt onto airflow meter of things messing up with meter due to larger airflow being pushed through True/False. Thanx
Old 28 May 2002, 11:12 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

In my conversation with the tech guy from Performance Subaru he said that the air systems that have an oil infused filter (sponge type I think) can cause the AFM to fail but that he hadn't had any problems with the other type (paper).

My dealer has had 2 fail with the oil type also so they can definitely cause the problem but I don't know anyone with the other type to confirm that they don't cause it.
Old 28 May 2002, 11:16 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I run a K&N 57i, as it's the only one that I've found that I know of no failures from using.

See my guide for fitting instructions.

It should be noted that MAFs have failed on non-modified cars, so some see this as only tempting fate!
Old 28 May 2002, 01:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

gene1,
got your email and as requested, replying here.

I have an HKS 'green mushroom' induction kit fitted to a MY94 WRX Wagon. Can't comment on what difference it makes as it was fitted to the car when I got it!

It does make a nice sucking sound when it works though, which is quite cool.

as for fitting, again, can't help, sorry.
Old 28 May 2002, 08:10 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

So which uns use oil thing etc then as i am currently looking at the possibility of getting one along with the blitz exhaust group buy.
So hows about the blitz power filter un then as that is described as
The Blitz SUS Power air filter uses a filtration element made from an extremely fine steel mesh
So is this better or worse on the risk front? Doesn't seem an exact science but i'd like sum forts b4 i order owt & i note the K&N un is much cheaper
Other options? Or is the ITG pro filter only un (as described on sum site) This unit is extemely safe and is not known to cause any of the mass airflow issues (sensor damage) of other aftermarket filters.
Help greatfully received
Cheers
Si
Old 28 May 2002, 08:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on model year. The MY99/00 MAF seems very susceptible to damage - whether this is vibration or oil who knows. Some think Blitz and HKS filters are wonderful on these models, I personally would avoid them like the plague. There have been MAF failures described on cars with just about every brand of induction kit including none. One supplier will guarantee your MAF sensor. Some engines have gone lean and let go, possibly as a result, but causality is difficult to prove. This to me is more a worry than the cost of the MAF sensor which is about £300, but apparently you can now get replacements for just the sensor at under £100 a pop.
Old 28 May 2002, 08:52 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

How about risk for older cars, mines a MY97 turbo 2000 for wot it's worth?
Cheers peaps
Si (getting v.v.v. woried now)

Trending Topics

Old 28 May 2002, 09:06 PM
SCOOBERATORS
Scooby Regular

Smile

HKS Racing Suction Kit (no probs)looks the dogs danglers.
Old 28 May 2002, 10:44 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

So i note on chiarks fine site that the newer uns have a different MAF, hot film? so wots the score with the older variety for eg on me MY97?
Cheers
Si
Old 28 May 2002, 11:16 PM
Chod
Scooby Regular

Hi Si

I put a 57i on my MY97 uk turbo about 4 weeks ago. Not had a problem so far and it is nice to hear the forge dump valve chatter through it.

Pauls dad at TSL told me that it the worst mod that you can do and Peter at Forge told me that it is all down to opinion.

I decided to run it and see what happens. Happy so far! MAF's are much hardier on the 97's anyway.

Terry

Old 28 May 2002, 11:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems to be just the 99 onwards that have dodgy MAFs from what we hear about?
Old 28 May 2002, 11:21 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

The older cars seems to be more robust. When I cleaned up my Pipercross, I saw loads of gunk on my MAF. Wiped it off like nothing had happened and put the induction filter back in place.
Old 28 May 2002, 11:25 PM
ScoobyWhite
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I would like to let where something.

Please see: www.gtrowner.com/induction.html

And what do you think now?
Probaly this failures it is because in this case Blitz and HKS have a poor filtration.

Please tell me what do you think.
Old 29 May 2002, 12:42 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feed back and chiarks site which could relieve me of a healthy chunk of wedge on mods after reading it.The other thing I noticed is the turbo vents in the bonnet are right over where the filter cone will be and when it rains at present the standard filter box is wet,will this cause problems with water penetration on the aftermarket cones?
Old 29 May 2002, 03:17 PM
Uzi Lover
Scooby Regular

...would fitting a standard K&N Panel filter make much difference, rather than taking a chance with 57i and resulting MAF sensor problems?

My experience of fitting a 57i to a MK3 golf GTi was dissapointing, as it just made more noise under the hood and no noticeable gains in acceleration as they claim!
Old 29 May 2002, 05:42 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

I spoke 2 Graham (paul aka trouser aka tarts dad) i think it was @ TSL who indeed wasn't very impressed with induction kits & as mentionned in my previous posts the ITG panel filter is only un TSL will supply as that is safe, yet seemingly does improve air flow by 30%.
So yes i wood like a stoopidly loud noise from me front half as shed loads of air is suked though a funky looking induction kit but that man does no his shyte so i'm quite happy 2 get mild performance gains from da panel thing rather than suking loads of warm dirty air thru da engine bay!
Call me a ***** but don't fancy breaking owt it's expensive enuff doing the mods dont wana have 2 keep fixing them & associated bits after the event Oh & it's much cheaper then the hole induction thing which can't b bad
Si

Old 29 May 2002, 06:08 PM
Chod
Scooby Regular

Pauls dad may know his stuff, but he didn't know about the leaking dump valve problem associated with the MY97. When I told him about it he said that I had been reading too many bulletin boards!! New forge dump valve got rid of the milk bottle noise though!

Terry
Old 30 May 2002, 09:59 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

Still totally confused with what induction thing 2 go 4 if any so a few more questions:
Where exactly does the standard panel filter suk the air from then is it not actually from the engine bay then, just wondered after TSL's comment about the induction things mean u will b suking in warm type engine air?
from the previously mentionned site induction tests the apexi seems to be da top dog so any1 had any experiance with em as the lack of needing oil based filter paper or letting loads of dirt thru wood seem 2 make it a healthier choice 4 da MAF does it not?
On the apexi note where sells em out of interest then?
& last but not least any1 no how good the ITG panel filter is at actually filtering da muck out in comparison with standard or other induction kits 4 that matter?
Cheers
Si (still undecided if u didn't notice)