Notices

Help 4 year boost problem

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2014, 09:40 PM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 4 year boost problem

guys I need your help. My baby is only boosting at 9-10 psi and when I do boost I get a high pitch whistle which gets louder the higher the boost. Also the car doesn't feel as powerful as it once did as it no longer launches you into your seat.

It all started after I had an engine fitted in cyprus which came from API. So since then I have changed all vacuum hoses, induction hoses, turbo intake pipe (as it was split), waste gate/actuator, exhaust system (headers all the way back but these have a liquid gasket) and a new recirc valve. All the boost pills are present.

My car is a 1997 impreza WRX STI, grey import. No tuning has been done yet just constant repairs as listed above. the turbo is a vf24 if that makes a difference.

Can anyone suggest any ideas as the only two things left I can think of are the exhaust gaskets and the turbo

Thanks n advance guys.
Old 17 January 2014, 09:44 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the Y pipe under the TMIC in good condition,
Your whistle is the leak, cant you find a rolling road so it can be run under load with the bonnet up to locate the source of the whistle ?
Old 17 January 2014, 09:48 PM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

I have bubble tests and tried smoke testing on the tmic and all test showed negative. But I can't reach the pressures experienced under load.

There is a local place I've recently found that does have a rolling road but I'm looking for ideas for the situation I might be walking into.

Also I Have put new gaskets on the inlet manifold.

Last edited by q_ball_69_uk; 17 January 2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 17 January 2014, 10:27 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

tried cleaning your boost solenoid?
Old 17 January 2014, 10:29 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

High pitched whine/whistle is boost leak somewhere

Last edited by Gambit; 17 January 2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 18 January 2014, 06:12 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Up-pipe blowing
Old 18 January 2014, 08:43 AM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by swaynie
tried cleaning your boost solenoid?
Iv cleaned the boost solenoid as I have a cel light, for the tps and boost solenoid. After cleaning the boost solenoid cel cleared.
Old 18 January 2014, 08:44 AM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Up-pipe blowing
How can I test the up pipe? Or any pipe on the exhaust?
Old 18 January 2014, 02:16 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by q_ball_69_uk
How can I test the up pipe? Or any pipe on the exhaust?
Have a look at it for signs of escaping gases. Double check the gasket on the bottom of the up-pipe
Old 18 January 2014, 06:22 PM
MedicInAUK300
Scooby Regular

Had the same on my Bugeye, turned out to be the lower up-pipe gasket. Had to get under the car with the engine running to find it though.
Old 18 January 2014, 08:48 PM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

Here is a link to what it sounds like that I recorded today. Its a bit blury but at best it hits 9 psi and won't go any higher
Old 19 January 2014, 01:43 AM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

thats a split turbo hose after the compressor I would say a leaky Y pipe
Old 19 January 2014, 03:01 AM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

guys I need your help. My baby is only boosting at 9-10 psi and when I do boost I get a high pitch whistle which gets louder the higher the boost. Also the car doesn't feel as powerful as it once did as it no longer launches you into your seat.

It all started after I had an engine fitted in cyprus which came from API. So since then I have changed all vacuum hoses, induction hoses, turbo intake pipe (as it was split), waste gate/actuator, exhaust system (headers all the way back but these have a liquid gasket) and a new recirc valve. All the boost pills are present.

My car is a 1997 impreza WRX STI, grey import. No tuning has been done yet just constant repairs as listed above. the turbo is a vf24 if that makes a difference.

Can anyone suggest any ideas as the only two things left I can think of are the exhaust gaskets and the turbo

Thanks n advance guys.
Run hand around exhaust joints with car running to feel for leaks. Are the new header standard and unequal lengths? Is boost solenoid piped the right way round,only one restrictor pill on two port,goes in hose between turbo and t-piece,the t-piece that devided turbo pipe into solenoid and actuator. But to me you dont seem far off standard boost pressure already, imprezas boost to less than 1bar/14psi so 10psi is probably right.if you had a split in vacume hose on previous engine then it would have made it boost more and go faster,hence engine needing replacing because fueling wasnt mapped for boost leaking. Now new engine feels slow with new hoses etc. And correct boost.as for the whistle, turbos do whistle,or if you've changed downpipe ti decat

Last edited by scoobyJim2; 19 January 2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 19 January 2014, 09:54 AM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2
Run hand around exhaust joints with car running to feel for leaks. Are the new header standard and unequal lengths? Is boost solenoid piped the right way round,only one restrictor pill on two port,goes in hose between turbo and t-piece,the t-piece that devided turbo pipe into solenoid and actuator. But to me you dont seem far off standard boost pressure already, imprezas boost to less than 1bar/14psi so 10psi is probably right.if you had a split in vacume hose on previous engine then it would have made it boost more and go faster,hence engine needing replacing because fueling wasnt mapped for boost leaking. Now new engine feels slow with new hoses etc. And correct boost.as for the whistle, turbos do whistle,or if you've changed downpipe ti decat
I believe they're unequal headers that I bought from scoobyworld. But the squeal was after the engine replacement and before the exhaust change. I changed the engine to bottom end failure. There is only one restrictor pill at the boost solenoid. I know turbos have some whistle but this is loud and everyone can here it when I boost. I thought it was meant to boost between 14 and 18 psi?
Old 19 January 2014, 09:57 AM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by swaynie
thats a split turbo hose after the compressor I would say a leaky Y pipe
Do you know a way I can test the y pipe as I can re-create the pressure where it squeals ?
Old 19 January 2014, 12:53 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

If you have a compressor you can rig up a DIY pressure drop system or a foot pump. I used a tyre valve a bunged off pipe work on a old car of mine and worked a treat.
Old 19 January 2014, 01:04 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

This video tests the Y pipe and tmic

Old 19 January 2014, 07:35 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

I believe they're unequal headers that I bought from scoobyworld. But the squeal was after the engine replacement and before the exhaust change. I changed the engine to bottom end failure. There is only one restrictor pill at the boost solenoid. I know turbos have some whistle but this is loud and everyone can here it when I boost. I thought it was meant to boost between 14 and 18 psi?
14-18psi sounds too much for standard,thats about 1.2-1.3bar,which is quite alot (im running 1.2bar with mods & remap at 320bhp) Should only be one restrictor pill on a 2 port solenoid and this goes in small hose that comes off the turbo before solenoid & actuator. If you've had air intake hose off at some point then check this is on properly at the bottom where connects to turbo. I dont think yours is the same as mine,mine goes under inlet manifold and staight onto turbo,where yours probably goes over it. But when I refitted mine once the bottom kept kinking in rather than over the turbo spigot,which would cause a leak if unnoticed. Also check intercooler pipework is tight and good connections
Old 21 April 2014, 07:56 AM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

to bring this back alive and update:
so far i have changed the engine (now have an engine from API) then had to change the following as the leak began:

1-complete exhaust
2-all vacuum hoses inc turbo inlet and induction
3- replaced TMIC and new gaskets
4- Inlet manifold gaskets
5- Replaced Actuator
6- replaced recirc
7- All pills are present

i am now at a complete loss. what else can it be, im hoping not the turbo but seeing as iv had the leak that long surely the turbo would have blown by now??? if it were the turbo any recommendations on which to upgrade to (currently VF24)
Old 21 April 2014, 08:22 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is definitely a boost leak, or the turbo whining.

It shouldnt be difficult to find, rather than replace parts ***** nilly without been able to find the fault, take it to a rolling road.

You are replacing parts and wasting loads of money on stuff that isnt required you could have used that money to put it on a RR and diagnose the actual problem. I reckon an hour on the rolling road and your problem will become very apparent.
Old 21 April 2014, 08:28 AM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

All the parts iv replaced so far have actually needed replacing minus the actuator.
Old 21 April 2014, 08:41 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it sounds to me like it is definitely a boost leak of some variety. Get it on a RR
Old 21 April 2014, 10:12 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

boost leak without adoubt or cracked turbo housing
Old 22 April 2014, 08:45 AM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stevie turbo
boost leak without adoubt or cracked turbo housing
If it were a cracked turbo housing wouldnt if have completely failed by now seeing as iv drove it for over 4 yrs like it?
Old 22 April 2014, 06:06 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

not really if its on the boost outlet side and not the main housing,but as you can hear in the vid its a load boost leak pressure test the system
Old 29 April 2014, 07:45 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Are you sure restrictor pill is in correct place? If its not in the pipe that comes off the turbo Before the t-piece that goes to waste-gate and boost solenoid,your actuator/waste-gate won't hold the pressure and will bleed off most your boost only providing actuator boost pressure. I repeat restrictor pill goes between turbo outlet and t-piece,Not in pipe between t-piece and solenoid nor t-piece and actuator/waste-gate. Or maybe boost hoses are wrong way round on solenoid.

Last edited by scoobyJim2; 30 April 2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07 May 2014, 11:45 PM
q_ball_69_uk
Scooby Newbie

Well had the car on a rolling road at the weekend, and the mechanic said that there is no boost leak and that he thinks it's the bearings in the turbo :/

He also did a dyno run with the following results

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	16303

It's just a shame about the torque, but cheers guys for all your suggestions so far

Now thinking of upgrading turbo with a few other bits n bobs to make 400bhp, any ideas on which turbo to go for?
Old 08 May 2014, 02:33 AM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Well had the car on a rolling road at the weekend, and the mechanic said that there is no boost leak and that he thinks it's the bearings in the turbo :/

It's just a shame about the torque, but cheers guys for all your suggestions so far

Now thinking of upgrading turbo with a few other bits n bobs to make 400bhp, any ideas on which turbo to go for?
It could well be turbo bearing,I had one go once and apart from a bit more whine and a loss of power I had to assume it was turbo knackered and took a chance and changed it,which fixed the problem (I don't actually know what the fault with turbo was,only it wasn't working).
Did you ever try pill where I've said?
Old 08 May 2014, 12:32 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

I had a similar thing, however mine on howled in high boost in 5th gear.

Turned out the turbo was loose and needed reseating, could be something to look at?

it wasn't discovered until i came to replace the injectors and TMIC that they noticed the turbo wasnt on right.
Old 08 May 2014, 12:35 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Attachment 16303

haha thats all well and good, but one thing i have learnt from experience is when a car isnt running right, dont boot the *** of it trying to fix it/troubleshoot boot the *** off it when it is fixed