Notices

Unsure about fitting a sports cat.

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2014, 02:12 AM
THE_WREXER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsure about fitting a sports cat.

Hi there need some advice. I'm current running a 2001 wrx which had been mapped previously to a safe 1.1 bar but the car then had just the one standard downpipe cat in and the rest was decatted including the up pipe. I am looking to go fully decatted but take the old standard downpipe cat out and get a sports cat in. Will the car need to be remapped again even though i am swapping from a OE standard catted downpipe to a 200 cel sport cat one?

Any help will be good just to put me at rest. I could go fully decat but its the hassle of swapping pipes over every mot time
Old 16 January 2014, 04:54 AM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

I changed from a standard to sports cat DP and I didn't get it mapped immediately... i'm trying to remember how long I ran it like that before other mods and a remap. Maybe just a short while, I'm sure I gave it a bit of a roasting in the mean time though. It's one of those things that is probably worth mapping for, mine didn't blow up (it did a couple years later but that's another story), and as you already have a safe map programmed I would have thought you would be ok.
I got through a few MOTs with it (only scraped by with the standard cat mind!). I would say go for it, overall I've been very pleased with mine and even carried it across to my new 2.1 engine.
Old 16 January 2014, 05:10 PM
THE_WREXER
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ash i have been running it with this setup for a good few years and had no problems at all. Its just i am going for an mot next week and i know before car will either pass emissions straight away or takes a good few attempts.I got a good friend of mine who owns a garage plus he good friends with my tutor who i am doing my mechanic course. So i have free reign to tinker with the car before mot time which is handy to swap pipes over etx. There is a sports cat i have seen on ebay but its confusing me as it says its off a 2001 wrx classic. 2001 are newage but i asked question and said its off a classic so wouldn't that be 2000?

Anyway here the ad http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=301056680433&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
Looks the same length as the one i have but i can't tell what the bellmouth is like
Old 16 January 2014, 05:29 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

its a flat flange type same as std downpipe - same as on the left of this pic

http://www.tomeipowered-usa.com/usa/...comparison.jpg
Old 17 January 2014, 01:54 AM
THE_WREXER
Scooby Regular

Thankyou
Old 17 January 2014, 10:09 PM
THE_WREXER
Scooby Regular

Found out its off and i couldn't believe this but a 51 plate classic estate will this fit then i assume it would? Anyway i bought so if it doesn't fit i sell it on possibly on here
Old 31 January 2014, 01:16 AM
THE_WREXER
Scooby Regular

Got myself a bargain and got it but to save the hassle or so i thought come MOT time which is Friday eeeeek. It apparently suppose to fit my bugeye which is does but the one problem i have is the location of the 02 sensor. On the sports cat its situated near the top of the bell mouth but on my old decat and the original downpipe including the 2nd cat (its in two parts) the O2 sensor sits right further down usually on the original the sensor goes into the 2nd small cat. I got a few options get a bung in the sports cat and tie up the O2 sensor somewhere out of the way. Or find someway of maybe making the 02 sesnor cable long enough to go up to the bell mouth location for it. Or just get rid of it use the original one get it through its MOT and put the decat one back on after?

At the moment i stuck in the orignal downpipe and 2nd cat pipe in for MOT so i know its safe for emissions....well better be

Any suggestions i'm tempted to sell it on

Last edited by THE_WREXER; 31 January 2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 31 January 2014, 02:13 AM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by THE_WREXER
Got myself a bargain and got it but to save the hassle or so i thought come MOT time which is Friday eeeeek. It apparently suppose to fit my bugeye which is does but the one problem i have is the location of the 02 sensor. On the sports cat its situated near the top of the bell mouth but on my old decat and the original downpipe including the 2nd cat (its in two parts) the O2 sensor sits right further down usually on the original the sensor goes into the 2nd small cat. I got a few options get a bung in the sports cat and tie up the O2 sensor somewhere out of the way. Or find someway of maybe making the 02 sesnor cable long enough to go up to the bell mouth location for it. Or just get rid of it use the original one get it through its MOT and put the decat one back on after?

At the moment i stuck in the orignal downpipe and 2nd cat pipe in for MOT so i know its safe for emissions....well better be

Any suggestions i'm tempted to sell it on
If you don't get an extension for the cable,you can put a bolt in the hole on exhaust and fit a resistor in the 02 sensors plug.think its a 2.2kohm
Old 31 January 2014, 02:23 AM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Hi there need some advice. I'm current running a 2001 wrx which had been mapped previously to a safe 1.1 bar but the car then had just the one standard downpipe cat in and the rest was decatted including the up pipe. I am looking to go fully decatted but take the old standard downpipe cat out and get a sports cat in. Will the car need to be remapped again even though i am swapping from a OE standard catted downpipe to a 200 cel sport cat one?

Any help will be good just to put me at rest. I could go fully decat but its the hassle of swapping pipes over every mot time
Car will probably be ok but it is always better to have map checked/tweaked after fitting downpipe. I have prodrive downpipe sports cat and am running 320bhp so is good for power incase you're wondering. If you do go for de-catted downpipe im pretty sure come mot time if you fit the cat that goes after the downpipe it will pass mot.(this is fairly easy to do and can be done laying on your back if you need to change it quickly before mot)
Old 01 February 2014, 12:42 AM
THE_WREXER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2
Car will probably be ok but it is always better to have map checked/tweaked after fitting downpipe. I have prodrive downpipe sports cat and am running 320bhp so is good for power incase you're wondering. If you do go for de-catted downpipe im pretty sure come mot time if you fit the cat that goes after the downpipe it will pass mot.(this is fairly easy to do and can be done laying on your back if you need to change it quickly before mot)
This is what i was thinking for now keep the downpipe cat on and 2nd cat after it on and run it through the MOT with that then swap over after it. I know its easy to do. Only thing now it didn't go through its MOT as found out now i have an exhaust leak on left side exhaust manifold to head...damn. I know what i think caused that swapping over the manifold back to standard one and i think i bent the gasket putting it back on. Friday was the first day i found this out running it to the MOT centre brought it back home to get right then try again I wil get there lol
Old 01 February 2014, 12:50 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You wont need an extension for the cable, when the TMIC is off you can follow the cable clips, once you pop the 02 loom out it will reach the top fine,
Car will be fine with sports cat, you still have that little bit of back pressure to stop the boost spikes, as it`s been mapped id guess the WGDC% has been upped anyway.

Old 02 February 2014, 05:48 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

This is what i was thinking for now keep the downpipe cat on and 2nd cat after it on and run it through the MOT with that then swap over after it. I know its easy to do. Only thing now it didn't go through its MOT as found out now i have an exhaust leak on left side exhaust manifold to head...damn. I know what i think caused that swapping over the manifold back to standard one and i think i bent the gasket putting it back on. Friday was the first day i found this out running it to the MOT centre brought it back home to get right then try again I wil get there lol
Yea if you can get mot before changing pipes then seems best option.but for future reference im sure they pass with just small cat after downpipe