Newbie with a quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2014, 08:44 AM
Chris Horabin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a quick question.

Morning all!

Just traded in my 3 series daily drifter yesterday as the missus hated it and was not the most practical car being stripped out and get myself a 2002 bug eye GX (non turbo)

I am not looking to make it faster as it seems pretty pointless on a non turbo model but i am looking at a few handling upgrades such as strut brace, coilovers and better brakes etc.

A lot of what i am finding is for wrx / sti models. Will coilovers and strut brace for the turbo model fit mine?

Can anybody suggest and decent upgrades for it cosmetic or performance? It has been made to look like a wrx with the bonnet, seats, steering wheel etc so i just need to make it look a bit nicer and handle a bit better until my insurance will be ok on a turbo.
Old 02 January 2014, 10:02 AM
reedy107
Scooby Regular

Can i just ask why u arnt getting the turbo model ?
Old 02 January 2014, 10:12 AM
Chris Horabin
Scooby Newbie

Lack of insurance NCB and difficult to insure one without previously having owned one so once renewal comes in October I can get a turbo then.
Old 02 January 2014, 11:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Leave yours standard for nine months then? Otherwise it's money p*ssed up a wall...no-one else will want a modded car.
Old 02 January 2014, 11:35 AM
Chris Horabin
Scooby Newbie

But anything i am looking to add on such as coilovers and strut brace i can take off and put it back to standard.

No offence but i am not looking for advice on buying a turbo or if i should / shouldnt mod it just do they have to be non turbo parts to fit or are they all the same.
Old 02 January 2014, 01:28 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

I think you'll need to get yours on a ramp and start measuring your arb's and drop links.
Then speak to Chris at CDF who does the whole package for the bug, arb's alk, and drop links and see if they'll fit.

You'll need to find somewhere near you that can fit and do a full geo set up. I think cheveronmotorsport isn't far from you and they're one of the best in the business.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...otorsport.html

As for styling...... Look in the trader braking section. You'll find mattybr5 there and he's often breaking bugs. There's hundreds of photos for you to look at and choose what you want.

The points above could be better made but they are right. Most of us have been in the same boat and spent 1000's on bits that have become worthless once we've bought our desired cars..
Old 02 January 2014, 02:35 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Welcome! As mentioned one of the breakers such as Matty (who I always find very helpful) might be a good place to start, reason being these guys pull apart so many cars they generally get very knowledgeable about what parts are interchangeable.

I have to say I'd be surprised if the non turbo models feature struts/ARBs etc that are completely different in design from the turbo spec, so hopefully you can pick up the normal chassis upgrades such as strutbrace, ARB's, droplinks and maybe some good adjustable shocks (I'd personally avoid coilovers), most of which you should be able to pick up second hand for not a lot of money.

I don't think you'll waste money at all if you chose your mods wisely, if indeed you can fit the ARB's etc meant for turbos, then something like a Whiteline adjustable rear ARB or strutbrace could be taken off and transferred to your turbo as and when you get it.

Of course spending money on engine mods would be a bit of a hiding to nothing, but your already aware of this so sounds like you have the right ideas to me.
Old 02 January 2014, 03:10 PM
Chris Horabin
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the tips guys. The car only owes me £1000 as the fella who had it before me was pretty keen on getting my drift car so i got a good buy.

Its already got a decent exhaust on it so other than a decent cone filter to replace the dodgy chrome one on it now thats the only engine mod its gonna get other than servicing.

My plan was to spend on things i know i can transfer over to a turbo such as better wheels, arb's, suspension etc.

Will be sure to check matt out as i do want a high level spoiler and would be good to see if there were any half decent wheels knocking about second hand that wont break the bank.

I could probably sell it on today for a decent profit so dont mind putting a bit of money into it to make it even better.

I do kinda miss the power of my BMW though
Old 02 January 2014, 03:12 PM
scooberuni
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The strutbraces for the new age cars fit all models, they are probably more show than go though as I'm sure Subaru purposely made the chassis a lot stronger when they brought out the bugeye model. An ARB for the non-turbo model might be a pain to fit though as you'd need the bar, bushes, droplinks, the brackets that actually hold the bar to the underside of the car and the control rods with links attached to them, unless the Whiteline kit already comes with these odds and ends.