Notices

Time to introduce myself properly

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2013, 09:24 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to introduce myself properly

Hi, iv been on the forum a couple of months now and not officially introduced myself. My name is Ashley and I'm on my first scooby. (V5 type r in 792 silver)

I'm 24 and oy just been able to get insured on a subaru that I wanted. After coming from a leon cupra r running over 300bhp it's a relief to finally have power and traction at the same time

Now about the car...I bought it for £4300 with quite a lot of service history and all the receipts and proof bla bla from when it was imported in 2004.

Not really had a lot done to it as modifications go
3"turbo back exhaust system (unsure of make)
Aluminium mesh air filter
Fmic
And a remap by andy Carr.

Things iv bought for it already is some fresh oem stickers for it, a catch can and some roger Clark pulleys, not fitted yet.

The car is currently in the body shop having both rear arches sorted and some welding to the sills.

The todo list it

Eibach lowering springs (can't afford coilovers ATM)
Front and rear arbs
Anti lift kit
Full service with new plugs.
P1 splitter (can't decide yet)
Lightened flywheel
And a better exhaust as this 1 has seen better days.

Questions.
What can the engine take safely in power? 350bhp?
Will I need to change the injectors to get 350bhp?
And will a vf35 of a newage fit straight on?
Cheers in advance.. Ash.

As she stands at the moment
Old 02 December 2013, 09:50 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

350hp on an engine and gearbox that are getting on is pushing it a bit.
They will do it in theory. But personaly about 320 is about as far as I would take things.
Injectors will be 440s and wont do 350 safely. 320 yes.

You are right to spend money on suspension and why not even better brakes.

A 3inch exhaust at your power level is not necessary. A 2.5 inch will do, look into a uppipe to suit your turbo.

300 that has been mapped by Andy Carr (Good mapper) is a nice place to be.
Personaly I would spend on the suspension and brakes to make you quicker.

As far as the engine goes, if it is running well pushing out 300 perhaps leave alone.
Old 02 December 2013, 09:53 PM
theduck
Scooby Regular

Cant answer your questions but, lovely looking classic.
Old 02 December 2013, 10:10 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

It's currently got an up pipe on there. Not sure of the size of it though. When I bought the car the guy said andy mapped it to around 320 so your right there. Brakes are on the todo list aswell. But they are pricey too. Iv been checking the sales section for some better brakes but most of them are out my budget ATM. Will a 2.5inch be better? It came with the 3" and has been mapped to suit it so I'm guessing it should be fine? I don't want stupid power so il stick with what iv got and concentrate on making it go round corners better. When I get it back il be taking it up to cams performance and ask Brian to have a look at my exhaust system and see if he can sell me some better parts
Old 02 December 2013, 10:11 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theduck
Cant answer your questions but, lovely looking classic.
Cheers
Old 02 December 2013, 10:12 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Lovely car, I wouldn't bother with the p1 splitter, I like the jdm one.
Old 02 December 2013, 10:14 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackvenom
Lovely car, I wouldn't bother with the p1 splitter, I like the jdm one.
That's what I've been toying with. I like them both. I wanted the p1 to make it look abit lower at the front. But I like the jdm 1 aswell. Think il lower it and see how it looks
Old 02 December 2013, 10:17 PM
ScoobyNoob79
Scooby Regular

Looks nice. Has the back quarter been painted, looks a different shade?
Old 02 December 2013, 10:33 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ashp1989
It's currently got an up pipe on there. Not sure of the size of it though. When I bought the car the guy said andy mapped it to around 320 so your right there. Brakes are on the todo list aswell. But they are pricey too. Iv been checking the sales section for some better brakes but most of them are out my budget ATM. Will a 2.5inch be better? It came with the 3" and has been mapped to suit it so I'm guessing it should be fine? I don't want stupid power so il stick with what iv got and concentrate on making it go round corners better. When I get it back il be taking it up to cams performance and ask Brian to have a look at my exhaust system and see if he can sell me some better parts
As a crude rule of thumb a 3inch is for 400hp plus set ups and a 2.5inch is sub 400hp.
Now you can get a car to drive fine witha 3inch sub 400hp. It is all about releasing the back pressure and often a 2.5 makes a better job of it on 300-350 car. It is the same with up pipes - bigger isn´t necessarly better.

It is all about how the air flows and the same aplies to up pipes - sometimes a narrower up pipe aids spool and performance. So you are more likely to get a better driving car once mapped by a good mapper with a 2.5inch decated system on your car. Up pipes were often customised to suit turbos (Re late Harvey Smith RIP). So be aware of that also if swapping turbos.

Brakes - Ian at Godspeed does a 335mm discs and refurbished 4 pot calipers team them up with EBCblues or DS2500s.... or whatever is the flavour of the month these days. And that is the most cost effective way of perhaps getting good braking. But it will still cost of course

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~god...id_product=121

Cheers
Steve

The MAF sensor is also a weak spot on your car - and can cause engine failure. So regularly check it. Have a spare lying around. Put a new one in one a year for peace of mind perhaps. etc
Old 02 December 2013, 10:59 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Cheers Steve. Some good I for there. I'm looking for a new exhaust system anyway so I will bare that in mind. But obviously if I go for the 2.5inch the map will need adjusting? Il look I to the Godspeed setup and the brembos are too much for me, plus that's enough stopping power for me with the power the car is. Can you or anyone reccomend a 2.5 inch system? With up pipe?
Old 02 December 2013, 11:01 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoob79
Looks nice. Has the back quarter been painted, looks a different shade?
Yes it has been painted, and not a very good job if it. That's why it's currently in the bodyshop, it's having down both sides painted, the roof and the bonnet. The bumpers will get done at a later date
Old 02 December 2013, 11:06 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Yes map will need adjusting with a 2.5. But only really if you change the downpipe. That is the critical one.

However IF you are not doing any more breathing, fueling mods ect. And you are happy with the way the car drives with the current map,up pipe and 3 inch system. Go for another 3 inch it will save you cost of a remap.

Depending on what bit of the exhaust is shot. You might be able to keep your existing down pipe.

If you are not CERTAIN that all your modifications were put on before the Andy Carr map. It might be worth getting the map checked - for fueling ect for peace of mind and if that is the case why not put on the 2.5 inch and get the map tweaked.

So horses for courses - but some options to think about.
Enjoy the car

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 02 December 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03 December 2013, 07:29 AM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

I want to make a cold air feed from the fog lights? Or get some morretes and take 1 of the lights out and do it that way. Any advice on a size of the up pipe and downpipe? It also has a hks dv which I'm taking of and putting the standard recirc back on with the adaptor plate to suit the fmic. It does drive nice now. But I'm sure the piece after the downpipe is slightly smaller than the downpipe then goes back into a 3". Strange.