Notices

Major positive camber after hub swap!

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2013, 05:44 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major positive camber after hub swap!

Hello all.

I have finally got round to changing the rear hubs on my version 3 type r so as to be able to fit the subaru 2 pot callipers.

The problem is that I bought a pair of v4 onwards hubs with discs and callipers and found that the os had a knackered bearing. As the seller was adamant that they were perfect I bought and fitted a new bearing at my cost.

Thinking no more of it I put them in storage until needed this week.

After fitting them, the os has major positive camber. This is on Leda coilovers with normal unslotted mounting holes, therefore no adjustment. It sat perfectly on the old hubs.

Upon inspection I have noticed that the os top mounting hole, or to be precise the metal around it, has been ground away. This gets me thinking that the seller who broke the car would have seen this and the excessively slotted strut mount that must have accommodated this hub. If not then it would have looked bent on the donor car.

I am currently waiting to hear from the seller before naming and shaming as he supplies on here.

Can anyone offer any advice as I am currently thinking of changing the backing plate from the new hub to my original one, which will cost me another bearing.

I was thinking about using camber bolts on the rear as that's probably what the donor car had but I don't like the idea of a bent hub and its potential problems.

cheers.

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 08 November 2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10 November 2013, 12:31 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Default Pics added of both sides

Old 10 November 2013, 11:00 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Pic of where the top of the mounting has been ground away. The rusty area is where the original mount was sat.

This pic shows the driveshaft in white due to camera flash and the top right hand corner is the strut mount. The area on the right that shows a gap between the backing plate and hub is where the hub has been bent away. The original hub does not have this problem.

Original hub mount for comparison showing moremetal present and the small lugs BOTH sides.

Old 11 November 2013, 04:20 PM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

those pictures have lost me mate ....

for those who want to know it was me that supplied these , along with discs , calipers etc ( both sides )

can u take a clearer picture of the hub mounting holes side on to the old hubs .... these are different versions of hubs from your old ones but tbh the holes on the hub should be the issue if camber is an issue ...

there is movement in the hubs when normaly bolting them up on most cars ( ie u can physicaly pull / push the hubs even when bolts are in and hand tight ..... ) if theyre not pushed inwards the wheel can sit with positive camber .....

better pictures anyway matey please if you could , if theres an issue i can see ( or anyone else ) i have other v4 type r hubs here i can supply u with another hub ( providing i can have the old one returned for closer inspection )
Old 11 November 2013, 04:20 PM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

of course i will cover postage also etc
Old 11 November 2013, 09:14 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Here you go mate. The black hub is the one you supplied and I have painted it before fitting. The dirty one is my R180 v3 hub. The other pics are for your refrence and show the holes in my Leda struts that allow zero camber adjustment.

You can clearly see the difference in angles of the shocker mounting points and the top piece thathas been machined away, not by me I might add. If you align the top hole with the top of the computer screen it is very visible the difference between the hubs. I have tried to take both pics as level as possible.

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 11 November 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11 November 2013, 09:39 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

And just a quick comparison. I have used photoshop to overlay the images to show one behind the other and the difference in bolt hole positions with the red lines, which indicate the bottom of each hole.

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 11 November 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 14 November 2013, 08:29 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART_STI
those pictures have lost me mate ....

for those who want to know it was me that supplied these , along with discs , calipers etc ( both sides )

can u take a clearer picture of the hub mounting holes side on to the old hubs .... these are different versions of hubs from your old ones but tbh the holes on the hub should be the issue if camber is an issue ...

there is movement in the hubs when normaly bolting them up on most cars ( ie u can physicaly pull / push the hubs even when bolts are in and hand tight ..... ) if theyre not pushed inwards the wheel can sit with positive camber .....

better pictures anyway matey please if you could , if theres an issue i can see ( or anyone else ) i have other v4 type r hubs here i can supply u with another hub ( providing i can have the old one returned for closer inspection )
Can you post your opinions on the new pics please and let me know if you want this one back in exchange for another?
Old 15 November 2013, 08:39 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

likely to be as simple as its been spun against a kerb at some point in its life and "bent" the casting............

see it most winters when people get caught out by the snow
Old 15 November 2013, 04:03 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
likely to be as simple as its been spun against a kerb at some point in its life and "bent" the casting............

see it most winters when people get caught out by the snow
That's what I think Alyn. It must have been bent and then made to fit by slotting the strut holes and grinding the top edge of the hub mount to allow it to sit further in, allowing the camber to be corrected. This must have been apparent when taking them off the car.

Still waiting to hear comments from Braveheart_sti. I have offered to send the hub back for inspection but as yet have not had a reply.
Old 21 February 2014, 08:39 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Ok, still not got this resolved and decided to call it a day with John (Braveheart_sti).

After sending the bent hub back at my cost, John then sent out another hub that had a completely rotten backing plate. So we agreed that he would send back the bent hub so that I could take the backing plate from that and fit it, along with another new wheel bearing, to the second hub he sent. Anyway, to cut a long story short I have not yet received the bent hub back. It has apparently been posted and then returned to John and posted out to me again.

Well, its not here and I now have had to buy a new backing plate from import car parts.

So, this little problem has cost me 2 wheel bearings at £70 each, a backing plate at £90 and postage at £22.50 at s grand total of £252.50. I only paid £280 for the hubs to start with.