Notices

Sills or bodywork?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2013, 05:35 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sills or bodywork?

Hi. My sills need patching up/replacing. And also my bodywork needs doing. Etc arches roof bonnet. I do have enough saved up to now to get the sills done. But which do I get done first? Bodywork or rotted sills? Or save that bit more and get them done at the same time? He car is a v5 type r. Cheers
Old 24 October 2013, 05:46 PM
Dazr2388
Scooby Newbie

Save get the lot done mate , however if its that rottern get it done and primed up ready for respray
Old 24 October 2013, 07:17 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

I would have a go myself at prepping it but I'm not to sure I'm confident on doing the arches properly myself. The roof and bonnet I could have a go at to save me some ££. But don't fancy doing the sills myself lol
Old 24 October 2013, 07:31 PM
Dazr2388
Scooby Newbie

Id give you a hand but abit of a distance lol
Old 24 October 2013, 07:35 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to get one or the other sorted, get the rot done first as if left it will continue to get worse.
Old 24 October 2013, 08:15 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

Try this link, these guys are car restorers and are bang on.
http://www.villageservicestation.co.uk
Very reasonable prices for welding and paintwork.
Old 24 October 2013, 10:13 PM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

That's abit far from me i think. Thanks though. Think il get it all done at the same time. The sills are rotted so will need welding so it won't get any worse than it is in a short amount of time. The arced concern me with the winter on the way with all the ****ty salt. Hopefully I can find a decent body repair garage who do welding and restoration in the north west area.
Old 24 October 2013, 11:32 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

Im working on my wrx wagon. .personally id work from the bottom up..luckily I only had 2 small patches on the sills to weld up so they've been done, primed and now undersealed ;-)
Old 25 October 2013, 08:19 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashp1989
I would have a go myself at prepping it but I'm not to sure I'm confident on doing the arches properly myself. The roof and bonnet I could have a go at to save me some ££. But don't fancy doing the sills myself lol

Be careful with the arches. They go from the inside out, it can get very messy and expensive.
Old 25 October 2013, 08:39 AM
Ashp1989
Scooby Regular

Well I don't no the nastyness of my sills yet because I haven't took the skirts off. But at thy bottom of the arches and the jacking point are goosed. I poked a hole in it with my key sills first I think.
Old 25 October 2013, 10:55 AM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Hi mate give them a rub down and treet them to stop the rot/rust put some primer on them till you get them done this will help them till you get them done mate
Old 25 October 2013, 11:59 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ashp1989
The sills are rotted so will need welding so it won't get any worse than it is in a short amount of time.
You'll be surprised how quickly the rot can progress. Don;t leave it any longer than you have too as things can start to get very expensive!!

The good new is the sill only *usually* rot at the rear end, which is an easy repair. Get the arches checked too whilst its there, its a common classic weak point.
Old 25 October 2013, 01:17 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear arches are a killer on classics... After spending many hours under the arches I have found the reason that most classics bubble on the rear corner of the rear arch. This area is actually not the problem but is caused by the main problem of a poorly designed seem.

If you look right up into the arch at the top there is a metal cap which serves as the flat face that the top mount attaches to. This metal cap is square and three of the sides extend about an inch down the inside of the arch with the metal of the cap over the top of the arch metal. This means that water and debris can't collect on the seem it just runs off. However the outer most face is opposite and the top cap part goes behind the arch wall. This leaves a nice exposed ledge for water and mud to sit on and seep down between the two bits of metal. This causes the seem to rot completely and can usually be seen if you remove the interior trim the covers the rear suspension turrets in the car near the c pillars. You can also see it if you remove the boot side trim and look right down the side of the arch inside the panel through the boot.

This seem then drips rusty water down onto the corner of the arch which is two sheets of metal layered on top of each other with spot welds. The two pieces are sealed but the metal beneath the sealer is bare and not primed at all! So the sealer absorbs water and the seem rust again showing small bubbles on the outside corner of the arch. If this goes on for long enough you will find that the complete inside of the rear wing rusts away even if the outside looks fine. If the seem in the arch had been designed with the upper part overlapping it would never happen and priming the metal work before sealing as most of the other areas are would also have helped...

It's annoying that the problem area is also the hardest bit to get to and the hardest bit to see or work on. To even see the problem you have the remove the rear struts and hubs and the interior trim.

I guess when you make a car you don't car if it falls to bits in ten years time...