Notices

Has my HG gone?

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2013, 04:04 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has my HG gone?

Took the old bug out for a run today and it appears that the new radiator cap has not fixed my coolant issue so I think it could be a bit more sinister! What do you guys think?

Spec:
Forged 2.5 with cometic gaskets & ARP head studs, AVCS heads. MD321x turbo (T+) running 1.5/6 bar 440bhp
Symptoms:
Coolant in overflow rising after driving and not returning to original level on cooling.
Bubbles in coolant overflow tank when running (warm) and after driving for a few minutes.
Expansion tank level fallen once cooled - no loss of coolant it's all the the overflow just displaced by air.
No obvious exhaust smell in coolant, coolant looks slightly dirty but no oil film/ residue.
No obvious contamination of oil.
Possible slightly excessive moisture/steam from exhaust but car has been standing for over 2 months.
Car runs perfectly.
Old 29 September 2013, 10:15 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

For piece of mind i'd get a sniff test
Old 30 September 2013, 03:14 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
Took the old bug out for a run today and it appears that the new radiator cap has not fixed my coolant issue so I think it could be a bit more sinister! What do you guys think?

Spec:
Forged 2.5 with cometic gaskets & ARP head studs, AVCS heads. MD321x turbo (T+) running 1.5/6 bar 440bhp
Symptoms:
Coolant in overflow rising after driving and not returning to original level on cooling.
Bubbles in coolant overflow tank when running (warm) and after driving for a few minutes.
Expansion tank level fallen once cooled - no loss of coolant it's all the the overflow just displaced by air.
No obvious exhaust smell in coolant, coolant looks slightly dirty but no oil film/ residue.
No obvious contamination of oil.
Possible slightly excessive moisture/steam from exhaust but car has been standing for over 2 months.
Car runs perfectly.
If coolant is being pushed into the plastic expansion bottle by the rad, other than the hot /cold level then you must treat as worst case (HG failure).
I had this but it started on track, after a few laps the bottle would be full.
If it is the HG it can get seriously worse with dire consequences for your engine.
Best to think the worst rather than hope it's not happening.
Trev
Old 30 September 2013, 03:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As above, any garage will do a sniff test. Doesn't cost the earth either.
Old 30 September 2013, 08:38 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much if any do you have to top up the cooling system ?
As suggested above - get a 'sniff' test or a Cylinder leakdown test done on the engine.
How long ago was the engine built/upgraded.

Mick
Old 30 September 2013, 09:44 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bubbles in the overflow is not indicative of hg. this is normal in small amounts because when the water leaves the header into the recovery tube and overflow it changes from pressurized to atmos and boils giving bubbles.
This recovery system used on subarus is not brilliant - most car manufactured now use a half full pressurized header only now. e.g ford.
On a Subaru its usual for the level in the header to sit 15mm below the top as the recovery is never perfect. have you checked the recovery line for leaks/tight seals?
Old 30 September 2013, 09:59 PM
daiski
Scooby Regular

wouldn't the car be puffing put white smoke on start up ? or lose of power or are the subaru symptons different?
Old 01 October 2013, 07:04 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Engine has done around 14k miles and was built in 2010. The system doesn't need topping up at all, I occasionally reverse 'syphon' the coolant from the overflow back into the expansion tank to top that back up. I'll get the car booked in for a sniff and leak down test and take it from there.
Old 02 October 2013, 12:36 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

it maybe just the gasket lifting under boost and not when driven off boost , I had this problem after my rebuild on a 2.5 , would only loose coolant under high boost but not normal driving !!
Old 02 October 2013, 03:21 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bighead
it maybe just the gasket lifting under boost and not when driven off boost , I had this problem after my rebuild on a 2.5 , would only loose coolant under high boost but not normal driving !!
that's what started to happen with mine, but a few months down the line it died on the rollers and the whole engine had to be replaced. The cause was Hydraulic compression, when eventually the pressure from the cylinders, instead of pushing coolent out gets drawn back into the cylinder, the piston can't compress the liquid, so heads, block, piston, rod and crank take the hit.
Trev

Last edited by trevsjwood; 02 October 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03 October 2013, 12:17 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
that's what started to happen with mine, but a few months down the line it died on the rollers and the whole engine had to be replaced. The cause was Hydraulic compression, when eventually the pressure from the cylinders, instead of pushing coolent out gets drawn back into the cylinder, the piston can't compress the liquid, so heads, block, piston, rod and crank take the hit.
Trev
yes either way its a engine out job...I've replaced it with a EJ22 2.35 forged ...heads are held down with RCM 14mm head studs so no chance of that happening again

moral of this story is do it once and do it right !!